what are you reading

what are you reading

Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

3 dog night is on a distinguished road
Default what are you reading

Ive just finished a book by Terry Wogan title "Where was I?"
I thought one or two might like a smile before they go to bed so here goes,

During the second world war cities got hit more than any other place, it was Hitlers plan to bomb bomb and bomb again so that we'd have no choice but to wave the white flag,
All who lived in these cities knew what to do when the sirens went off,

quick as you could get out of the houses and through the back doors to the Anderson shelters "No time to waste"

Well the story goes that a grandma and grandad heard the sirens going off and bombs starting to drop very near to their home,

Quick said grandad lets get the hell out of here and he ran down the back yard and into the street, As he glanced over his shoulder he saw his wife going back into the house!
He turned and went back only to find his wife running up the back yard path,

"Where are you goin, woman?
shouted grandad!

Ive left me teeth on the draining bourd replied grandma!

For gods sake, come on roared grandad
There droppin bombs not bloody sandwiches.

When you read true stories of people like these people at those times a lot of todays teenages just couldnt think of! it really makes you think lets hope they're still making them like that.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:24 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you reading

sorry nothing so exciting
reading various books in the Dragons of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey

`
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

A bit of a mixture, really. L'Histoire de Nintendo, Pilgrimage in Medieval England and Princess Jellyfish (a manga in French translated from the Japanese).
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Some really different books to read here from you all,
Its a good thing to be able to read and i dont mean that in a nasty way but in a way that ive met people who just can't read a book, they can't get involved enough to be there "part of the story".

I read mainly books ref animals "James Herriot" being one of my muched liked books, But there again i have an interest in victorian living, The upstairs down stairs life of these people, their gardening, their furniture and not forgetting their cars.

But to really understand what makes some of our popular well known people tick i do read a lot of their autobiography work and its amazing what some well known people have got up to in their dafter years.

Im reading Alan Tichmarsh at the moment and its very interesting.

So lets hear a lot more of what your reading and whats been read by you that really made you think
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, may I join you?

I've recently become hooked on European medieval history and have just finished Alison Weir's book Eleanor Of Aquitaine: By the Wrath of God, Queen of England

She was married first to Louis VII of France and then to Henry II of England, who also ruled over large parts of what is now France. She had many children, including Richard "the Lionheart" and King John. It was these two sons who lost England's French territories for good, at the cost of thousands of lives on both sides.

Can anyone recommend any other good books about this period, especially the Crusades? I don't want anything too heavy! I don't mind historical novels as long as they are accurate. I enjoyed the Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and have ordered World Without End, the follow-up.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you are in Spain Pocaloca. I am not sure the French agree that they were English territories. I think they look at it the other way round.
One of the more intriguing things I did many years ago was to read a French history of the World. You would not believe we were talking about the same planet.
And if we read a Chinese one, we might be surprised how little attention they paid to us at all.
But just a little quibble - as it happens to be a pet hobby horse of mine. John was actually one of England's better monarchs. The bad press was the result of having to continually increase tax to pay for Richards wars.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: what are you reading

Again two really nice replies, and again can anyone shine a light on the request for more good reading ref france?

A little of topic "one of the ex-pats i met at a BBQ told me they'd bought this old place tucked behind some old french farm building, anyway as they continued to fight the hot summer to have this old place warm for winter they decided to put a membrain and a new concrete floor it was then they found hundreds of bullets and a few guns tucked under their wooden floor and paper works of local maps,
It turned out that this was the house used by the french resistance during the second world war all the locals new about it and after this couple had a few chats over a few bottles of wine the stories started to come out about who did what why and when.
Its a small world really wouldnt you agree
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Pillars of the Earth series and his other books plus a handy guide to the 'Inlingua' Method of teaching English for work!!