Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most?

What do you miss most?

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

.t.p. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you miss most?

I'm thinking of moving to France in the fairly near future and I just wondered what single thing people miss the most.

Is it the weather, the sense that the politicos are just in it for themselves (I bet that's universal), or something tangible, something you just have to have as soon as you return to Blighty?

Marmite, proper beer, proper tea? I know these are things I miss when I'm away for more than a couple of weeks. What about you?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:38 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you miss most?

Originally Posted by .t.p.
I'm thinking of moving to France in the fairly near future and I just wondered what single thing people miss the most.

Is it the weather, the sense that the politicos are just in it for themselves (I bet that's universal), or something tangible, something you just have to have as soon as you return to Blighty?

Marmite, proper beer, proper tea? I know these are things I miss when I'm away for more than a couple of weeks. What about you?
Going into a pub getting poo faced and still understanding people, It's the simple things in life that treat us the best.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:47 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

A decent pint, a 'proper' pub, good conversation and my family. Teabags etc. can be bought here (at a price), or brought over by friends & family.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

jon1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too, a decent pub serving a decent pint.

Last edited by jon1975; Apr 2nd 2009 at 8:10 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:04 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

patois
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Absolutely nothing. Really nothing. I haven't been back even for a holiday and I doubt I ever will. But then I can get Radio 4 on the computer.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:25 am
Banned

fred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by cupoftea
Absolutely nothing. Really nothing. I haven't been back even for a holiday and I doubt I ever will. But then I can get Radio 4 on the computer.
That's almost right for me. I listen to my old local station once or twice a week to get a flavour of what's going on back in Yorkshire. The more I hear the happier I am to be in Indonesia.

It's not family or friends that I miss but the food.
Not talking banger and mash but the other stuff.
You can get Chinese food here but it's not that great for the most part and I can't find an Indian restaurant to save my life.
I did happen on a place selling donna kebabs. That was quite a treat.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:32 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

There's something quite strange about an englishman living in Indo that misses curries and a decent chinese, but has found a kebab shop.....
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:47 am
Banned

fred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Le Chant
There's something quite strange about an englishman living in Indo that misses curries and a decent chinese, but has found a kebab shop.....
The kebab in Jogjakarta was a happy accident.

I was having a wander around while my motorbike was being serviced and there was a kebab shop.

Lucky or what?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

jenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nice

The only thing Charlie misses is Nestle Shreddies breakfast cereal - does anyone know where to get them over here other than that, we miss nothing - not even going back to UK for visits !!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:19 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenny and charlie
The only thing Charlie misses is Nestle Shreddies breakfast cereal - does anyone know where to get them over here other than that, we miss nothing - not even going back to UK for visits !!
I think you look for the emaciated babies section and it's there.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:07 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .t.p.

You can get Marmite and "proper tea" here, and I don't drink beer, so can't comment on the properness of it.
I have a binge on fish & chips, suet-based puddings and full English breakfasts when I go over to visit the family 2-3 times a year, but only for old time's sake, otherwise I don't miss anything the rest of the year (except for Germolene and Mum Roulette, unavailable here, which I bring back each time).
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:12 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

My old UK income.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I generally preferred the courtesy on the roads (i.e. flashing lights to let you out of a junction when it's busy) back in old Blighty, but I don't drive anymore. Beyond the language being more comprehensible, there's nothing I really miss.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:48 pm

I'm not fooling myself anymore. If I could do what we do here, but in the UK, I'd be back there like a shot! Kernow would be the favourite, followed by west Wales (shame there's Welsh people there, though). Then I'd smother myself in germolene, and get bladdered on John Smiths while stuffing myself with fish & chips.

No other country on earth makes it as hard to run a business than the French. Unless you know better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.