Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Views please on moving to France ? Good Idea ??

Views please on moving to France ? Good Idea ??

Old Mar 18th 2017, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Views please on moving to France ? Good Idea ??

I know it's not much to do with this thread but it's loosely connected, and I wanted to get it off my chest: Having been happily and quite truthfully saying ever since last June "No I haven't noticed any bad feeling at all on the part of the French about Brexit", today on two completely separate occasions, talking with totally unconnected bunches of people, Brexit came up in the conversation and a comment got thrown out to the effect of "yes it's a shame BUT THE ENGLISH NEVER WERE EUROPEANS REALLY". What do you say to that. Has anyone else had this, is it something in the air, has there been a media soundbite that I've missed, or is the tide slowly starting to turn? I'm feeling kind of unsettled suddenly.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I know it's not much to do with this thread but it's loosely connected, and I wanted to get it off my chest: Having been happily and quite truthfully saying ever since last June "No I haven't noticed any bad feeling at all on the part of the French about Brexit", today on two completely separate occasions, talking with totally unconnected bunches of people, Brexit came up in the conversation and a comment got thrown out to the effect of "yes it's a shame BUT THE ENGLISH NEVER WERE EUROPEANS REALLY". What do you say to that. Has anyone else had this, is it something in the air, has there been a media soundbite that I've missed, or is the tide slowly starting to turn? I'm feeling kind of unsettled suddenly.
I've never thought of myself as European and had the U.K. stayed in the EU I never would.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never thought of myself as European and had the U.K. stayed in the EU I never would.
I think probably most Brits would agree with that. I half agree with it myself. I guess that's why I didn't know what to say.
Daft question coming up - are you called Jerseygirl because that's where you're from or because that's what you wear? If the former, do you think that makes a difference to how you feel?
Old Mar 18th 2017, 8:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think probably most Brits would agree with that. I half agree with it myself. I guess that's why I didn't know what to say.
Daft question coming up - are you called Jerseygirl because that's where you're from or because that's what you wear? If the former, do you think that makes a difference to how you feel?
I lived in New Jersey, US...when I joined BE. I have been a US citizen for 10 years...but I am only British.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I lived in New Jersey, US...when I joined BE. I have been a US citizen for 10 years...but I am only British.
OK thanks for explaining... I never was much good at guessing games
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

today on two completely separate occasions, talking with totally unconnected bunches of people, Brexit came up in the conversation and a comment got thrown out to the effect of "yes it's a shame BUT THE ENGLISH NEVER WERE EUROPEANS REALLY".
Therre's a v ery interesting analysis of current EU thinking on Brexit here http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegDat...)583130_EN.pdf

A longish read but worth it and spot on IMHO.

I've had family ties to France through my OH since I met her in 1968, we later lived in Germany for eight years. Although I was born in the UK and am technically currently resident there, I've thought of myself as European rather the British for many decades.

That won't change for me whatever happens with Brexit.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:50 am
Just Joined

dorothy t is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , sorry about your wife, It cant be easy making decisions alone, maybe you can talk to someone who you know? I lived in France in Brittany and it's a nice place but very different to the UK . You will need a car to get about as there is no public transport there only in the bigger towns and cities. We have just sold our place and already I am depressed at the thought of being stuck here .We had a few problems , it was very isolated even though 3 French families live there . They r out at work most of them . they are really nice people and made us welcome. The house was hard to keep warm and expensive, we also had a mouse problem we couldn't sort and found damp in the walls( no damp proof) I want to go back but I think it will just be me. I would have to rent as cant afford to buy there now. But I will need some kind of income to pay for rent and bills. I have asked business people and a lady who works there how I can find work but they say I have to speak French and this is a stumbling block . I hear of others working in France but don't speak much french but that's what I was told. Until I find a way to support myself I have to stay here. I know what you mean about the UK and feel the same. If you do go there please make sure you have health cover . my husband had to go into hospital with chest pains 3 nights cost 2000 euros which our insurance paid most of . Listen to your gut feeling if that wont work you could try a visit see if you like it first . If you rent somewhere and don't like it you have not lost much . Life is too short to waste I had a health scare last year so I speak from experience . I hope you find the answer and hope I have helped a bit. The people in Brittany were helpfull and friendly. There is a lot of red tape and paperwork over there and things don't happen as fast as the Uk but It's a nice part of the world to spend time in .

dorothy t
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eghhpeter
I thank you all for your replies and please keep the coming, as it helping a GREAT deal.
In the last 13 months I have been equal to the UK and Crete, the problem for me is I will need to rent in the UK, and that is not cheap compared to where I am (overlooking Souda Bay near Chania with a view that would cost £2000 + a month, where as here 450e for 120 sq. mts. with 3 x beds (1 is my P.C room) So money matters are important (where's my wife's pension gone ?) to the benefit scroungers who will never work AND WILL still receive a UK pension: Where is the fairness in that ???
Depending on which part of the UK, I cant imagine overall living in France even living in a rural village would be less expensive than many parts of the UK. I like France but if money is tight not sure a place to grow old in. The public transport availability in the UK, the NHS, and so many places one can live and walk to where you may wish to go, are all positives.