Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:29 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

pardon

une ville phare = A leading town.

Last edited by stanage2; Nov 16th 2008 at 1:43 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:32 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanage2
un fille fare
UNE - it's FEMALE!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

This is supposed to be a thread providing useful french phrases for people to use. It would help if you provided the English translation, and correct French spelling.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:04 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

How about these-

Un coup d'épée dans l'eau (A wasted effort).

Or

Ronger son frein (To barely contain one's impatience).

Or perhaps

Etre au bout du rouleau (To be at the end of one's rope/tether).

Or even

Raser les murs (To keep a low profile).

Or what about

Envoyer quelqu'un aux pelotes (To send someone away, to send someone about their business).

Maybe

Cracher dans la soupe (To spoil something so that it can only be enjoyed by you).

And finally

Pédaler dans la semoule (To take leave of one's senses).

Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:14 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Le Chant
How about these-

Un coup d'épée dans l'eau (A wasted effort).

Or

Ronger son frein (To barely contain one's impatience).

Or perhaps

Etre au bout du rouleau (To be at the end of one's rope/tether).

Or even

Raser les murs (To keep a low profile).

Or what about

Envoyer quelqu'un aux pelotes (To send someone away, to send someone about their business).

Maybe

Cracher dans la soupe (To spoil something so that it can only be enjoyed by you).

And finally

Pédaler dans la semoule (To take leave of one's senses).

Or say

Surveiller quelqu`un = to keep watch on somebody.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by stanage2
Or say

Surveiller quelqu`un = to keep watch on somebody.
I believe Val's doing that already Stanage2, and long may it continue.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

CHRIS TERRIER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can help

Hello,
I'm new here. I'm french and can help you.
Just ask in english I tell you in french what does it mean.

It will be my pleasure

Chris
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:01 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can help

Originally Posted by CHRIS TERRIER
Hello,
I'm new here. I'm french and can help you.
Just ask in english I tell you in french what does it mean.

It will be my pleasure

Chris

Welcome Chris, lovely to have you here, but how did you end up on a British expats site? You should start an introductory thread telling us about yourself and your connections with expats...maybe you married one? Either way, thank you for your lovely offer and hope you enjoy the forum.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Welcome Chris, lovely to have you here, but how did you end up on a British expats site? You should start an introductory thread telling us about yourself and your connections with expats...maybe you married one? Either way, thank you for your lovely offer and hope you enjoy the forum.
Hi,
I am still in contact with a lot of British expats in France, as I created my own company recently which help British in France, or British who will move to France. Help in French bureaucracy, everyday problem expats can have, help to fill in french forms, help to solve any problem with insurance, taxes, school registering, help to connect all amenities, help to run a business in France, etc... I discovered this forum very recently.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I am still in contact with a lot of British expats in France, as I created my own company recently which help British in France, or British who will move to France. Help in French bureaucracy, everyday problem expats can have, help to fill in french forms, help to solve any problem with insurance, taxes, school registering, help to connect all amenities, help to run a business in France, etc... I discovered this forum very recently.
Have a look at the rules at the bottom of every page, especially rule 9. ;-))
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

The fact that I created my own company has nothing to do with this forum. I just answered to one member who asked me how I knew about the expats forum. It's not an advertising for my company. If I'm here, it's really to help if you need, without any compensation. But if you don't accept my help, don't worry, I won't be here anymore. Just advise me.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The fact that I created my own company has nothing to do with this forum. I just answered to one member who asked me how I knew about the expats forum. It's not an advertising for my company. If I'm here, it's really to help if you need, without any compensation. But if you don't accept my help, don't worry, I won't be here anymore. Just advise me.
Sorry, but it certainly sounded like advertising to me, the only thing missing was the cost, but if it is free then thats fine.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:55 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Well hello anyway, Welcome to the Forum. Always happy to know about anyone that wants to help. If you have a Web site stick a link to it in your Signature But read rule 18 on Signature Guidelines. other than that would be very happy to have a Local Person to converse with on some issues that crop up from time to time.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:23 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Well hello anyway, Welcome to the Forum. Always happy to know about anyone that wants to help. If you have a Web site stick a link to it in your Signature But read rule 18 on Signature Guidelines. other than that would be very happy to have a Local Person to converse with on some issues that crop up from time to time.
il déconne pas

meaning colloquially

he's not kidding

to return the thread to its purpose

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Hey hey...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.