Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Dec 30th 2015, 10:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
Well it was a native French speaker (University educated) who pointed out the difference the to me!
Just to be awkward, OH and DD1, both native French speakers and university-educated, have never heard the expression "en retraite" used as "retired".
Best not to use it in conversation yourself!
Old Dec 30th 2015, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Well it was a native French speaker (University educated) who pointed out the difference the to me!
Interesting. Both Mme & Jnr Tweedpipe are native French speakers, university-educated too, and were only familiar with the 'retired' related expression.
As I mentioned in post it #251 it may be a specifically regional expression, and it's no secret that the use of some regional expressions outside of their places of origin can be fraught with problems. A quick example that immediately comes to mind is the use of the word 'con'.
In Toulouse and surrounding area if one was to greet a work colleague with, "Comment ça va con?" it would invariably be met without surprise and with good humour (not advised for the boss man though).
However, it must be emphasized, don't use the same expression in the Paris area or many other cities in France. The result will be a look of great surprise, followed in all probability by a bunch-of-fives - and perhaps worse.
I became very familiar with the above expression when working for many years at Toulouse airport, in fact used it frequently myself. I subsequently had a posting to Paris Orly, and then CDG/Roissy airport, when it became obvious from day one that there are certain salutations that one should never use - however familiar. Fortunately I was forewarned, and upset nobody.
Fwiw, I'm a great fan of the comic duo Les Chavaliers du Fiel. In a number of their hilarious sketches one can hear the same expression (I gave an example of) used frequently. Not really surprising as they are Toulousain.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Dec 30th 2015 at 12:55 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
If you happen to be a mature looking gent, I propose you shouldn't be concerned as to how this was addressed to you. On the other hand if your appearance obviously suggests a young man, you may have a problem which needs to be dealt with.......
I've opened a can of worms here. FYI I am in my mid fifties, but am told I look younger. Most of the people in this social group are pensioners (even if early ones) so I assume that they are taking they own experience as a frame of reference for newcomers

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Could be interesting to hear DMU's take on this as he's been in France a few years (think he may even have shared a bedsit with Gustave Eiffel).......
Wondering who Gustave Eiffel is / was...
Old Dec 30th 2015, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
While I'm here, the exclamation "chiche!" has no connection with chick peas, but is the equivalent of "You dare!".
No that ould be poischiches (I think)
Old Dec 30th 2015, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering who Gustave Eiffel is / was...
Apart from being Mme Eiffel's husband, if I simply said, 'The gent who designed a tall tower', I might be doing him a tiny bit of injustice.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Dec 30th 2015 at 6:56 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

and built railway bridges in Cors if I remember rightly!
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

No that ould be poischiches (I think)
yes, chick peas are pois-chiches, and, as I pointed out, the expression "chiche!" has nothing to do with pois-chiches.
I thought at first it meant "chouette" ("super!", not "a type of owl") until I was corrected.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 8:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and built railway bridges in Cors if I remember rightly!
Not only in Corse, but all over the place. Our old train line to Paris goes over the Viaduc de Garabit in the Cantal, and there's a magnificent view of it from the Autoroute A75.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
yes, chick peas are pois-chiches, and, as I pointed out, the expression "chiche!" has nothing to do with pois-chiches.
I thought at first it meant "chouette" ("super!", not "a type of owl") until I was corrected.
Sorry a missing hyphen!
Old Dec 30th 2015, 8:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry a missing hyphen!
Channeling Tweedpipe's earlier remarks about regional dialects, divn't waak afore ye can run pet.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

PangPangPang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
My olde-worlde dictionary gives both expressions as meaning "retired". The military sense and a retreat (in the spiritual sense) are also given, but not "taking a break"....
I can't think of a suitable rejoinder on the spur of the moment (re Eiffel), except that I'm a "she"!
While I'm here, the exclamation "chiche!" has no connection with chick peas, but is the equivalent of "You dare!".
Deem to be a great expert.
Yes, "en retraite" or "� la retraite" just means retired.
Retraite has also a military meaning (troops withdrawal).
In religious practices, "faire une retraite" means have a training with priest before a religious sacrament.

"chiche" or "t'es pas chiche" is used to challenge somebody, mainly used in the south by youngsters who are about to push one of their mates to do something. Also used : "t'es pas cap de faire ça."
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PangPangPang
In religious practices, "faire une retraite" means have a training with priest before a religious sacrament.

"chiche" or "t'es pas chiche" is used to challenge somebody, mainly used in the south by youngsters who are about to push one of their mates to do something. Also used : "t'es pas cap de faire ça."
Hi, and welcome to the France forum! Thanks for confirming my post!
I see from your other thread that you're French, so feel free to give some more useful French phrases ("actuelles" in the French sense). And do join in the threads in the main section below!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by PangPangPang

Um.....yes. The military meaning and the general use of 'la retraite' was stated in post #251, viz."One often hears 'retraite' in films used in a military sense, as in to 'beat a retreat'. Otherwise it's use is primarily connected with retirement.

I deem to be an expert on nothing, knowledgeable on most, and a fool in my spare time....
TP
Old Mar 28th 2016, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

TengueFengue is an unknown quantity at this point

il était comme ça quand je suis arrivé ici

"It was like that when I got here" ...maybe?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

� la retraite... en retraite..
Late to the party as usual, but if I had to find a difference between the two I would say that "� la retraite" means literally "on a pension" - "toucher sa retraite" being to draw one's pension - and "en retraite" means in retirement but not necessarily drawing one's pension. So, interchangeable when you are both retired and on a pension, but possible to be one or t'other. You could be en retraite but not � la retraite if you were still waiting for your pension, and you could be � la retraite but not en retraite, if you are drawing your pension but continuing to work.
Then there's "retraité" as in "ce sont des retraités heureux" - does that imply they're both retired and on pensions? Yes, probably, if they're happy! but answers on a postcard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.