Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

For someone called "mashed potatoes eater," I imagine you've already heard the exclamation "Ah, purée!", a nicer, albeit slightly old-fashioned way of expressing one's irritation than by having recourse to the other p word.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to EuroTrash on another thread, I've discovered that "go figure" is the current English equivalent of "Va savoir, Charles...".
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:51 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear people at the creche say ' comment c'est passé la journee?' when they collect their children. Can someone explain the 'c'est' part as I'm confused.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

MashedPotatoesEater is an unknown quantity at this point

Comment s'est passé la journée means how was your day. The verb is "se passer" because it is a pronominal verb ("se" ) you use the auxiliary "être" in the past tense.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Sorry the correct form should be comment s'est passée la journée. As the verb agrees with the noun la journée
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:26 am
Loving the mountains

Thanks for the reply.

How would I say 'how was his day?' as in how was my son in creche today?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Comment s'est passée sa journée ?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:56 am
Loving the mountains

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

said by my neighbour, originally from Franche Comté, when his wife spilt some sangria down her White T shirt 'Ah mon dieu, tu es insortable' meaning 'can't take you anywhere'
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:51 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
said by my neighbour, originally from Franche Comté, when his wife spilt some sangria down her White T shirt 'Ah mon dieu, tu es insortable' meaning 'can't take you anywhere'
Yes, I often tell my OH "tu n'es pas sortable", which comes to the same thing!
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:01 am
Banned

Aggie ann is an unknown quantity at this point

petits appareils——small appliances
Je t'aime--I love you
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aggie ann
petits appareils——small appliances
Je t'aime--I love you
Whoa!
I do hope you were not with a bunch of Frenchman when you mentioned, "petits appareils". Said in the wrong place at the wrong time they certainly wouldn't have loved you for that.......
(For the uninitiated, it also means, small 'tackle').

And don't ask me how I know!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've just just discovered the expression "ne te formalise pas", meaning "don't be offended".
Old Oct 12th 2013, 11:15 am
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu

I've just just discovered the expression "ne te formalise pas", meaning "don't be offended".

It could be different meaning as well, I got very confused few times using this
Old Oct 12th 2013, 11:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nora77
It could be different meaning as well, I got very confused few times using this
what's the other meaning? The first time I heard the reflexive verb in the context of taking offence, was when a French friend told me not to (take offence).
While I'm at it, the expressions "je suis à la bourre" and "je me suis gouré(e)" shouldn't be muddled up.
The first means "I'm late", the second "I boobed/made a mistake"

Last edited by dmu; Oct 12th 2013 at 11:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.