Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
The purist would say it's in fact "au temps pour moi", which is an expression that goes back to the army and 'temps' required for marching in step, or the right rhythm in music, but this is one of those debates that will rumble on for years, decades or centuries.
Hi, this was just confirmed on the France Inter radio quiz show "Jeu des 1000 euros". It wasn't you who sent the question, was it?
Old Oct 8th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Nah mate, not me.

If you're interested, or if you didn't already know, the 'Jeu des Mille euros' used to be called, way back of course, 'Le Jeu des Mille Francs' and was presented by one Lucien Jeunesse, for over thirty years I believe. A sort of predecessor to "Who wants to be a millionaire" or as the natives here call it "Qui veut gagner des millions?" Lucien Jeunesse always used to sign off with "À demain, si vous le voulez bien" and was generally thought of as Mr Nice Guy, always smiling.

PB
Old Oct 8th 2012, 1:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Nah mate, not me.

If you're interested, or if you didn't already know, the 'Jeu des Mille euros' used to be called, way back of course, 'Le Jeu des Mille Francs' and was presented by one Lucien Jeunesse, for over thirty years I believe. A sort of predecessor to "Who wants to be a millionaire" or as the natives here call it "Qui veut gagner des millions?" Lucien Jeunesse always used to sign off with "À demain, si vous le voulez bien" and was generally thought of as Mr Nice Guy, always smiling.

PB
Chers amis, bonjour! I used to listen to Lucien Jeunesse way back in the early 70's when I first arrived here. At the beginning, I thought it was "Jeu d'Emile Franc"
My daughter was in it once (Spécial Jeunes) when Louis Bozon was the presenter, but she stumbled on the Banco. We're still using the transistor that she won!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

jannabanna is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw this once in a book where they translated English to French word for word - so funny!

"Je vous avoir savoir que je ne suis pas un homme avec lequel on peut trifler!"
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the last couple of days, two different French people have written me the following: "les tenants et les aboutissants". In legalese it means parts adjacent a property, but I gathered from the context that both meant "how it works", and the dictionary gave the equivalent English idiom: "the ins and outs".
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jannabanna
I saw this once in a book where they translated English to French word for word - so funny!

"Je vous avoir savoir que je ne suis pas un homme avec lequel on peut trifler!"
I enjoyed that.

Just for fun, I typed what was no doubt the original English phrase into Google Translate - which these days is pretty good - and it came up with a very acceptable, Je vais vous faire savoir que je ne suis pas un homme à jouer avec.
From the original English phrase, my own tongue-in-cheek translator would probably be, Je vais vous faire savoir que je ne suis pas un homme à alterner génoise fruits en gelée et crème anglaise.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

I bet that was a guy who had:

se marié au dessus de sa gare

google that one!
Blackie
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
I bet that was a guy who had:

se marié au dessus de sa gare

google that one!
Blackie
Excellent!

Don't tell me...... he was a platform attendant and waved a flag and blew a whistle walking down the isle with his bride to be!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 9:17 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Does anybody have a 'nifty tip' on using the terms tout, tous and toutes properly, please?

Thanks
Jon
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Does anybody have a 'nifty tip' on using the terms tout, tous and toutes properly, please?

Thanks
Jon
Hi, difficult to explain "tout" without giving a lot of examples: e.g. "à tout moment" = at any moment, but "tout le monde" = everybody, and "tout le temps" = all the time; "tout homme" = any man, "toute femme" = any woman. "Toute la salle riait" = the whole auditorium laughed.
"tous" concerns all masculine nouns in the plural: "tous les trains" = all (the) trains
"toutes" concerns all feminine nouns in the plural: "toutes les fleurs" = all (the) flowers.
Hope this helps a little, but it's one of those things that you have to learn!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, difficult to explain "tout" without giving a lot of examples: e.g. "à tout moment" = at any moment, but "tout le monde" = everybody, and "tout le temps" = all the time; "tout homme" = any man, "toute femme" = any woman. "Toute la salle riait" = the whole auditorium laughed.
"tous" concerns all masculine nouns in the plural: "tous les trains" = all (the) trains
"toutes" concerns all feminine nouns in the plural: "toutes les fleurs" = all (the) flowers.
Hope this helps a little, but it's one of those things that you have to learn!
Thanks dmu for the help.

I was hoping there may be an 'astuce' for using it..... some crafty 'aide memoire' that someone had thought of.

Yep I'll have to put the learning cap back on!

Merci pour tout, errr toutes..... errr tous

Jon
Old Mar 27th 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Useful French Phrases

I love the charming way you are trying to translate my impossible language

Well done to all of you
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:07 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by victorian67
I love the charming way you are trying to translate my impossible language

Well done to all of you
I nearly took umbrage at the "trying" in the first sentence, but didn't, on reading the second.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

How about this one?

J'en ai ma claque!

I've 'ad enough of this!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

MashedPotatoesEater is an unknown quantity at this point

Les toilettes, s'il vous plait ? Pretty useful after a night out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.