Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

See if you can get this one:

'Un ange est passé'

meaning

'There was en embarassed silence'

neat
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder

'Un ange est passé'

meaning

neat
Not always an embarassed silence, just a pause in a conversation...
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Wow, thanks DMU, saved a potential bloomer there...
Blackie
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:12 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

You hear "Autant pour moi" frequently, an admission (without apology) of having made a mistake or being wrong, and I've never really bothered to look for the English equivalent.... until my OH's French grandson asked me and I was stumped for anything more than "ah, my mistake". I've been out of England too long to know a more contemporary expression.
Can anyone help?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
You hear "Autant pour moi" frequently, an admission (without apology) of having made a mistake or being wrong, and I've never really bothered to look for the English equivalent.... until my OH's French grandson asked me and I was stumped for anything more than "ah, my mistake". I've been out of England too long to know a more contemporary expression.
Can anyone help?
Hi,
The purist would say it's in fact "au temps pour moi", which is an expression that goes back to the army and 'temps' required for marching in step, or the right rhythm in music, but this is one of those debates that will rumble on for years, decades or centuries.
Like you, I've been away from the UK for too long to have a contemporary, like, I mean, translation, but apart from your suggestion, what about "So, that's one in the eye for me" / "I stand corrected"./ "Sorry, my mistake" / Thanks for putting me right" / "So I'll shut up then." / "So much for that idea" etc.
PB
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

'Un ange est passé'

meaning

neat
Hi,
One would tend to hear "un ange passe" in the present tense more often. It can indeed be a reaction to an embarrassed, unexpected or prolonged silence, and the use of this expression may be an attempt to "furnish the silence", (meubler le silence), break the silence by saying something, anything. As you have realized, the French are a nation of talkers.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
The purist would say it's in fact "au temps pour moi", which is an expression that goes back to the army and 'temps' required for marching in step, or the right rhythm in music, but this is one of those debates that will rumble on for years, decades or centuries.
Like you, I've been away from the UK for too long to have a contemporary, like, I mean, translation, but apart from your suggestion, what about "So, that's one in the eye for me" / "I stand corrected"./ "Sorry, my mistake" / Thanks for putting me right" / "So I'll shut up then." / "So much for that idea" etc.
PB
thanks for that, I'm not the only "ancient one", then! OH says there's no sense of apology in the expression, so no "Sorry". I'll pass on all suggestions to step-grandson which he can use depending on who is is speaking to...
Old May 31st 2012, 10:11 am
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quicky! If I wanted to say -at what time should I return (to collect him)?

would this be ok? À quelle heure dois-je retourner (pour le rassembler)?
Old May 31st 2012, 9:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by howiet01
Just a quicky! If I wanted to say -at what time should I return (to collect him)?

would this be ok? À quelle heure dois-je retourner (pour le rassembler)?
A quelle heure dois-je revenir le chercher? (retourner also means turn around and rassembler means gather people together).
If your child is going to a party, I'd say "ça termine à quelle heure?"
Hope this helps
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Rosfrog is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say 'à quelle heure je passe le chercher ?' or, as DMU suggested 'ça termine à quelle heure'
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Rosfrog is an unknown quantity at this point

For 'au temps pour moi' we could use 'my bad' in modern colloquial English, I think.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

This from my neighbour (born in Franche Comté, lives in Charente) about a pair of blunt scissors:
Ca coupe comme mes genoux
neat
Blackie
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This from my neighbour (born in Franche Comté, lives in Charente) about a pair of blunt scissors:
neat
Blackie
Nice one, don't know it!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

neat
Blackie
My late mother-in-law used to say "Ça coupe comme les genoux de ma grand-mère".
PB
Old Jul 10th 2012, 5:03 am
Banned

Claireaufr is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Useful French Phrases

Do you know this one: "Tu t'es mis sur ton 31 !" which means "be all dressed up to the nines"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.