Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Shipping personal belongings from France to UK

Shipping personal belongings from France to UK

Old Mar 22nd 2023, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

cator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping personal belongings from France to UK

After selling my French apartment, I will give away all furniture but will be left with books, files, clothes and kitchen cutlery. Can anyone suggest a transporter who handles a few boxes at reasonable cost?

Last edited by cator; Mar 22nd 2023 at 5:32 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping personal belongings from France to UK

Are you changing your residence or a second home?
You will have to check the rules for importing these goods into the UK.
I heard a story of a man who was visiting his daughter in France but forgot his glasses when he returned to the UK.
His daughter posted them back to him and declared an insurance value.
His was charged duty when they were imported into the UK.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

cator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Are you changing your residence or a second home?
You will have to check the rules for importing these goods into the UK.
I heard a story of a man who was visiting his daughter in France but forgot his glasses when he returned to the UK.
His daughter posted them back to him and declared an insurance value.
His was charged duty when they were imported into the UK.
Hi Cyrian, I am changing my permanent residence going back to the UK. I realise that all items have to be recorded but I do not expect to pay duty on books and files or used kitchen utensils. I'll contact UK customs before leaving and dispose any item that may cause a problem. Thanks for your input.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cator
Hi Cyrian, I am changing my permanent residence going back to the UK. I realise that all items have to be recorded but I do not expect to pay duty on books and files or used kitchen utensils. I'll contact UK customs before leaving and dispose any item that may cause a problem. Thanks for your input.
I think that you should register a TOR (Transfer of Residency) with HMRC which would eliminate any duty or VAT issues.
You would still need an inventory.
Sorry, I have no experience of this but you could look at the Returning To The UK sub-forum on BE for more information.