Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK votes to leave

UK votes to leave

Old Jul 29th 2016, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all
Default Re: UK votes to leave

I have thought of a downside to having a passport from a european country if you continue to live in the UK.

If I were to take a UK car to France , then as a citizen of Europe I would not be allowed to drive it in the EU.

Might be Ok for me to get round the regulations as post brexit citizen of the UK, but what about all the thousands of French who currently live in London if they choose to remain and drive a UK regostered car ?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
I have thought of a downside to having a passport from a european country if you continue to live in the UK.

If I were to take a UK car to France , then as a citizen of Europe I would not be allowed to drive it in the EU.

Might be Ok for me to get round the regulations as post brexit citizen of the UK, but what about all the thousands of French who currently live in London if they choose to remain and drive a UK regostered car ?
You're tying my brain in knots. Why do you think that?
Firstly, wouldn't get a French passport unless you live in France. Residency is a requirement.
So, if you live in France you are not allowed to drive a UK registered car here; but that is because you are a resident of France, and your car has to be registered in the country where you're resident. It has nothing to do with what passports you have or don't have.
If you live in the UK then your car must be registered in the UK because that's the country where you are resident. Again, regardless of what passports you have or don't have.
Conversely, if you don't live in France then you can't register your car there, again regardless of what passports you hold or don't hold. Your car has to be registered in the country of which you are a permanent resident.
Or have I missed the point?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

The EU Directive on Cross Border Vehicle Taxation is seen as too complex and difficult to enforce so has not been incorporated into most national legislations and is not enforced in any.
The main effect of Brexit will be the inability of the 'holier than thou' brigade to preach their version of how to be as good a citizen as they are on expat forums (AI)
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Firstly, wouldn't get a French passport unless you live in France. Residency is a requirement.
So, if you live in France you are not allowed to drive a UK registered car here; but that is because you are a resident of France, and your car has to be registered in the country where you're resident. It has nothing to do with what passports you have or don't have.
If you live in the UK then your car must be registered in the UK because that's the country where you are resident. Again, regardless of what passports you have or don't have.
Conversely, if you don't live in France then you can't register your car there, again regardless of what passports you hold or don't hold. Your car has to be registered in the country of which you are a permanent resident.
I assume that you mean where you have an address.
If you have an address in two countries then you can register a car in each.
I have a UK registered car and a French registered car.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Me too. I've been thinking of selling the French one, but I feel so embarrassed to be seen driving the UK one here now that I might keep the French one after all.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 11:36 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that you mean where you have an address.
If you have an address in two countries then you can register a car in each.
Try and drive a French registered car around the UK or Ireland long term.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed I didn't understand the post either....

Jon
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Try and drive a French registered car around the UK or Ireland long term.
That is why I have one in each country.
However, have a look around the UK and see how many Polish registered cars are driving around and they certainly are not all tourists (and do they have insurance?).
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:58 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

That is why I have one in each country.
However, have a look around the UK and see how many Polish registered cars are driving around and they certainly are not all tourists (and do they have insurance?).
Anpr
Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anpr
But if they aren't on the database????
ANPR doesn't explain the numbers of Polish registered cars.

Also consider this article:
https://www.petrolprices.com/are-dri...ad-tax-system/
It states that revenue has dropped by £100m since they changed from the paper road fund disc to the computerised system.
That's progress.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cardi
The EU Directive on Cross Border Vehicle Taxation is seen as too complex and difficult to enforce so has not been incorporated into most national legislations and is not enforced in any.
The main effect of Brexit will be the inability of the 'holier than thou' brigade to preach their version of how to be as good a citizen as they are on expat forums (AI)
Thanks for the helpful comment

I have read that Geneva Airport now has German registered cars to get round this directive.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

In my case I wouldn't be applying for a French Passport.

Not all EU countries require residence to become a national.

Ireland certainly doesn't and nor does Germany provided certain criteria are met.

Reading about the rush for Irish passports from Brits I wondered what the advantages were of haing nationality of an EU country for people whoregularly travel or stayto /in France.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 3:05 pm
Quien no sabe

But if they aren't on the database????
ANPR doesn't explain the numbers of Polish registered cars.

Also consider this article:
https://www.petrolprices.com/are-dri...ad-tax-system/
It states that revenue has dropped by £100m since they changed from the paper road fund disc to the computerised system.
That's progress.
The anpr system will probably be set up to save all information. It's like a VCR of road movement.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 3:08 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
In my case I wouldn't be applying for a French Passport.

Not all EU countries require residence to become a national.

Ireland certainly doesn't and nor does Germany provided certain criteria are met.

Reading about the rush for Irish passports from Brits I wondered what the advantages were of haing nationality of an EU country for people whoregularly travel or stayto /in France.
That criteria would probably be a right by birth, marriage "which would probably involve residence as well" or descent however Germany has different criteria for descendants of persons who had their citizenship revoked in the Nazi era.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The anpr system will probably be set up to save all information. It's like a VCR of road movement.
Perfectly possible but at the mo it isn't used like that.
Some years ago, I had a conversation with a senior traffic cop who had concerns that the system could be used as you suggest.
We would need to record all registrations at the port of entry as happens as you enter and leave car parks.
We still do not even record people in and out of the country although with the introduction of automatic passport booths that may also change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.