Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

U1 Documentation when working abroad, and Social Security no.

U1 Documentation when working abroad, and Social Security no.

Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U1 Documentation when working abroad, and Social Security no.

Hi,

Does anyone know about attaining the U1 document when working abroad? Or can I do it myself via HMRC link.

Pole Emploi in France have asked me to get hold of this from all my previous employers whom I have worked for in France.

Also to attain my Social Security number (NIR), do I ask for one from the Mayor's office (- paperwork provided of course)?

Any help greatly appreciated
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U1 Documentation when working abroad, and Social Security no.

Bit baffled what you're doing, but you can download a form that you can use to apply for a form U1 (!) here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/2005/ca3916.pdf

I doubt the mairie can issue a social security number, though they may tell you how to obtain one. Maybe you go to CPAM? Normally this number is issued automatically when you start working and paying contributions. (There is a formula for calculating the number yourself, based on your date of birth etc etc - but that wouldn't be much use if the number is not recorded on the computer!)
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Bit baffled what you're doing, but you can download a form that you can use to apply for a form U1 (!) here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/2005/ca3916.pdf

I doubt the mairie can issue a social security number, though they may tell you how to obtain one. Maybe you go to CPAM? Normally this number is issued automatically when you start working and paying contributions. (There is a formula for calculating the number yourself, based on your date of birth etc etc - but that wouldn't be much use if the number is not recorded on the computer!)
EuroTrash is right, all the Mairie will say is contact your local CPAM office. If you've already worked in France, then your payslips from your former employer will give your S.S. number.
I've never worked out the numbers after sex, year, month and département of birth (99 for us). My OH and two daughters seem to have completely random last digits, like mine, and all you can do is learn them by heart.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

Many thanks for the info and link...

It is just to see if I can claim benefits here in France, as I have had a french contract in the past and I know other Brits have done it. I've tried contacting my old boss about it but no answer yet...
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
EuroTrash is right, all the Mairie will say is contact your local CPAM office. If you've already worked in France, then your payslips from your former employer will give your S.S. number.
I've never worked out the numbers after sex, year, month and département of birth (99 for us). My OH and two daughters seem to have completely random last digits, like mine, and all you can do is learn them by heart.
Yes payslips thanks, I have tried contacting my boss about getting copies as I was on a French contract for 6 months.

There is a CPAM administration presence at the town hall here every Thursday, for acquiring / applying for your S.S. number but I reckon there gonna need a birth cert as well so I can get my S.S. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicks
Yes payslips thanks, I have tried contacting my boss about getting copies as I was on a French contract for 6 months.

There is a CPAM administration presence at the town hall here every Thursday, for acquiring / applying for your S.S. number but I reckon there gonna need a birth cert as well so I can get my S.S. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
You already have an S.S. number if you have worked and paid côtisations and it stays with you for life.
Give as much info on your past employment as you can to the CPAM and they should find you in their computer.
Can't advise re the Pôle-Emploi.
P.S. Have just read your other post which dates back to 2010, in which case I doubt that your period of employment in France will count for much with the Pôle-Emploi at present, unless you've worked in the UK meanwhile.

Last edited by dmu; Dec 7th 2012 at 1:23 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if you have ever worked in France you stay in the system for ever. I came back in 2007, having previously worked here in 1978 in a totally different departement, and I was told to ask my previous caisse for my records. So I wrote to them, thinking 'no chance' - and they sent me the details with no fuss at all.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
You already have an S.S. number if you have worked and paid côtisations and it stays with you for life.
Give as much info on your past employment as you can to the CPAM and they should find you in their computer.
Can't advise re the Pôle-Emploi.
P.S. Have just read your other post which dates back to 2010, in which case I doubt that your period of employment in France will count for much with the Pôle-Emploi at present, unless you've worked in the UK meanwhile.
Might sound like a silly question, but why haven't you got copies of all your payslips and certicats du travail from previous employers??

To be eligible for unemployment benefit in France you have to have clocked up 122 days work over the past 28 months (it changed from 6 months in 24 months a couple of years ago). You can't have left any of these posts voluntarily or as a rupture amiable (ie both parties agreeing to a rupture of contract). However, a rupture of a contract by the employer will not be excluded.

http://www.pole-emploi.fr/candidat/l...e.jspz?id=4128
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Hi,

Does anyone know about attaining the U1 document when working abroad? Or can I do it myself via HMRC link.

Pole Emploi in France have asked me to get hold of this from all my previous employers whom I have worked for in France.

Also to attain my Social Security number (NIR), do I ask for one from the Mayor's office (- paperwork provided of course)?

Oh, hang on a minute!! It seems you were seconded by a UK employer to France to work. Is that it? That would be why you don't have a French social security number.

I don't think it will be very straightforward claiming chômage if no contributions have been paid in France (which is possible for short-term secondments from a UK company).
Old Dec 8th 2012, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Having read your previous post from Aug 2011 it seems that you have worked for a French employer, so you will have a social security number, you just need to ask for it. And under EU law France has to take into account your work history in the UK when considering your application chomage, so that will be why they are asking for the U1. (Not sure why you say 'previous employers for whom I have worked in France'? I believe employment in the UK counts as well.) But as I understand it, the amount you would receive is based on your recent contributions in France only, and is time limited, only contributions within a certain period prior to your application will be taken into account.

Good luck anyway.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I've read a few of your posts and it seems you're trying to claim benefit. Why haven't the Pole Emploi been sent the attestations by your employers in France (and you will have beeen given a copy when you finished work)? This is all that suffices to claim benefit. (Incidentally the thread in 2010 of yours about claiming unemployment benefit is mainly full of totally incorrect information. Namely the one that says if you work for one day you get benefit!!).

You can only claim chômage (unemployment benefit) if you are inscribed and given an adherent number (ie all your documents are in order and you are registered) within 12 months of the date of the last French contract finishing.

Last edited by Garonne; Jan 23rd 2013 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Garonne
I've read a few of your posts and it seems you're trying to claim benefit. Why haven't the Pole Emploi been sent the attestations by your employers in France (and you will have beeen given a copy when you finished work)? This is all that suffices to claim benefit. (Incidentally the thread in 2010 of yours about claiming unemployment benefit is mainly full of totally incorrect information. Namely the one that says if you work for one day you get benefit!!).

You can only claim chômage (unemployment benefit) if you are inscribed and given an adherent number (ie all your documents are in order and you are registered) within 12 months of the date of the last French contract finishing.
There is still alot of chasing to do with attaining some of my old payslips, and getting all the docs and paperwork in order, which is alot!

Thanks for the 2010 update. Will let you know how I get on...
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

There is still alot of chasing to do with attaining some of my old payslips, and getting all the docs and paperwork in order, which is alot!

Thanks for the 2010 update. Will let you know how I get on...
Why haven't you kept your copies of payslips??