Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Tunnel costs ...

Tunnel costs ...

Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:50 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tunnel costs ...

... need to use Tunnel at end of month, so looked to book. Chose to pay via French account in €, this came out at €90. But, cos we failed our bank security sequence, then chose to buy using our UK Sterling account. Cost £64, which using my desktop interbank widget on that day comes in at just over €70. Apart from UK friends out at the moment who seem to live in Tesco and use their voucher to get cheap prices for Tunnel, I have no way of tellng why there is this discrepancy.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:23 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tunnel costs ...

Originally Posted by cjm
... need to use Tunnel at end of month, so looked to book. Chose to pay via French account in €, this came out at €90. But, cos we failed our bank security sequence, then chose to buy using our UK Sterling account. Cost £64, which using my desktop interbank widget on that day comes in at just over €70. Apart from UK friends out at the moment who seem to live in Tesco and use their voucher to get cheap prices for Tunnel, I have no way of tellng why there is this discrepancy.
Should have added this was one-way France to UK.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
The tunnel charge you what they think they can get.
I have a friend who booked an evening return (shopping trip) where you have to return in say 6 hours but he forgot to return.
He then booked the same using his french address and telephone number and again failed to return.
The Tunnel company don't approve of this but it appears to work for him and it works out much cheaper than a normal return.
The fare structure varies enormously depending on what time and date you travel.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:30 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cyrian
I have a friend who booked an evening return (shopping trip) where you have to return in say 6 hours but he forgot to return.
He then booked the same using his french address and telephone number and again failed to return.
The Tunnel company don't approve of this but it appears to work for him and it works out much cheaper than a normal return.
The fare structure varies enormously depending on what time and date you travel.
I've heard the return deals are notionally better value. I assume they load the singles as the return seems to be about same price, so making the same money. It's not as if they have a 'duty free' to make extra dosh on.
But, I am guessing if you book return and fail to turn up and the price is very good to you as a deal, they make their money, but have empty space.
I understand prices vary depending on time of year, but the more I try and get a handle on this in my head the more confused I get.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:43 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

its not just the Chunnel ......

British Home Stores in Uk have dual pricing on their products with an approx 50% markup from the £
Similarly with The Body Shop - just do a comparison between the .co.uk and the .fr or even the .es sites and be horrified
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:52 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Domino for raising my spirits !
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Prices will increase the more times you visit a web site without booking. Clear your Cache first.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:03 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Thanks Domino for raising my spirits !
found out about BHS when looking to buy some new clothes in uk and saw the price tickets were dual £ €

found out about Body Shop when mulling over whether to buy some christmas presents for relatives.

how many others are there ??
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Prices will increase the more times you visit a web site without booking. Clear your Cache first.
Good point
If you have Windows XP or Windows 7 then you can also use "In Private" browsing which clears your cache and in theory stores no trace of where you have been.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

I am sure that happens with Ryanair too. The times I have looked at flights and even an hour later it's gone up
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

ooh I didnt know that ; or about caches etc will have to look into this..
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
ooh I didnt know that ; or about caches etc will have to look into this..
Try ctrl+shift+del
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Well, I never knew that either.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

johnwarner75 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Northern Line ferry form Dover to Dunkirk is very good value. It may take longer but you can always get a place and it’s very easy
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

AppleGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
I did this as well. It worked out about £50 cheaper to book a return trip (returning within 2 days), than to book single. But I forgot to return! whooops.

It does say that they can charge your card the full price if you dont make the return. But they never did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.