Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Traversing Paris?

Traversing Paris?

Old Mar 11th 2018, 12:37 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traversing Paris?

I'm looking at options for moving my two cats and a suitcase from Geneva to Antwerp in a few months time. The fastest way would be to fly via Brussels, but that would freak the cats more than I'd like; driving would be do-able in about 8 hours, but that would stress both me and the cats.

I've since been looking at trains, and trying to minimise the changes. Geneva/Lyon/Antwerp is two changes - Geneva/Paris/Antwerp is only one change, but I would have to get from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord. My connection time is 40 minutes.

I can't use the RER with two cats and a suitcase, so is this feasible in 40 minutes by taxi?
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traversing Paris?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
I'm looking at options for moving my two cats and a suitcase from Geneva to Antwerp in a few months time. The fastest way would be to fly via Brussels, but that would freak the cats more than I'd like; driving would be do-able in about 8 hours, but that would stress both me and the cats.

I've since been looking at trains, and trying to minimise the changes. Geneva/Lyon/Antwerp is two changes - Geneva/Paris/Antwerp is only one change, but I would have to get from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord. My connection time is 40 minutes.

I can't use the RER with two cats and a suitcase, so is this feasible in 40 minutes by taxi?
Hi, there's a direct bus between the two stations, but you may have problems with your cats and luggage depending on the time of day....
I know that Paris taxis can refuse to take dogs, but cats might be less of a problem.
40 mins is enough, theoretically, for either solution, although IMO it's cutting it a bit fine, esp. if your train is delayed by even a few minutes and in any case it takes a long time to get out of the Gare de Lyon and there's usually a queue at the Taxi Stand. The bus is about 100 m further. You won't be able to run like mad at either end.... If I were you, I'd book a later train to Antwerp, even if it means hanging around the Gare du Nord....
P.S. Where's the other change in the Geneva/Lyon/Antwerp route? If it's not a change of station in Lyon, just a platform change in an average station between Part-Dieu and Antwerp, this might be better than the hassle of traversing Paris...
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

RER would be the safest bet but depending on traffic I reckon that would be just about doable, 20 to 25 minutes, but not much room for error.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 2:12 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, there's a direct bus between the two stations, but you may have problems with your cats and luggage depending on the time of day....
I know that Paris taxis can refuse to take dogs, but cats might be less of a problem.
40 mins is enough, theoretically, for either solution, although IMO it's cutting it a bit fine, esp. if your train is delayed by even a few minutes and in any case it takes a long time to get out of the Gare de Lyon and there's usually a queue at the Taxi Stand. The bus is about 100 m further. You won't be able to run like mad at either end.... If I were you, I'd book a later train to Antwerp, even if it means hanging around the Gare du Nord....
P.S. Where's the other change in the Geneva/Lyon/Antwerp route? If it's not a change of station in Lyon, just a platform change in an average station between Part-Dieu and Antwerp, this might be better than the hassle of traversing Paris...
I was thinking that any delay on the way up from Geneva would certainly impact the already seemingly tight schedule. Getting a later train out of Gard du Nord would definitely give more breathing space, but add another hour to the overall journey.

The Lyon route may turn out to be a better bet, it's just a platform change - I think - and the other change is Brussels Midi, which will be just a platform change again. It's slightly longer time-wise than the original Paris route, but if I add an extra hour in Paris - and still have to traverse Paris - then they're looking kif-kif timewise.

I'll dig deeper on the Lyon route looking at platform changes and hanging around times.

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
RER would be the safest bet but depending on traffic I reckon that would be just about doable, 20 to 25 minutes, but not much room for error.
Thanks, if it were just me and a small suitcase I'd definitely use the RER, but with two additional cat carriers and an extremely bad back, I really have to minimise distances on foot.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

The devil in me was going to suggest ChronoPost......
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 3:30 am
Banned

Mattsvb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,.
I agree that it is not really practical to take the RER for 40 minutes with a lot of suitcases, especially if it's rush hour ..
You can, as we have already mentioned, take a bus that connects the two stations but not very convenient either. The second and most practical solution is to take a taxi, you will be more comfortable and it will be faster
Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:27 pm
Gloves off

We're stepping back on this for a rethink, reason being: "Person with two cats moves faster than lorry having to load, drive 850 km and then unload".

OH want's to stuff the cats in a boarding facility for a few days, I'm against this, I would rather be installed with them in a safe house.

We have two in mind, my niece's house close to target destination; downside is their own somewhat doolally cat and a 'playful' German Shepherd plus two very inquisitive great-nephews.

My choice would be hole up in stepdaughter's apartment here in Geneva, very calm, easy to contain the cats, and only 10 minutes walk to the main station. And then forget crossing Paris, go for the Geneva-Lyon-Brussels-Antwerp route.

Discussion ongoing.