Travel Advice

Old Feb 21st 2016, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Advice

Hi
I am planning a trip through France at the end of May early June, starting at the Tunnel heading to the Carmarge via the Millau Bridge and then on to Andorra.
Could anyone suggest a route avoiding city centres, particularly Paris but interesting and scenic.
Any other useful tips welcome.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Advice

How are you travelling and how long have you got??
Old Feb 21st 2016, 5:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Hi
I am planning a trip through France at the end of May early June, starting at the Tunnel heading to the Carmarge via the Millau Bridge and then on to Andorra.
Could anyone suggest a route avoiding city centres, particularly Paris but interesting and scenic.
Hi,
As you're taking the A75, you could stop off anywhere between Clermont-Ferrand and Lodève for scenic beauty in the Auvergne and Larzac. After Lodève you're in the plain (and soon, toll-booths on the Autoroute). If you're heading for the Camargue, then make a detour to visit St Guilhem le Désert. On the way back west, Pezenas is a jewel of a town, worth a stop-over; a quick visit to the 9 locks (Ecluses de Fonserannes) on the Canal du Midi south of Béziers (without stopping in the town): there are abbeys, cathedrals, and other architectural splendours all along the Languedoc Plain, and plenty of interesting small towns down towards Perpignan.
Hope this gives you some ideas, you could even stop over in Millau (small town) and you'll see the Viaduc from the Tarn down below.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You may want to use the A16 which comes down to the west of Paris.
You pass Beauvais and then turn off towards Cergy-Pontoise then the A15 until you connect with the A86 - the outer ring road around Paris.
Follow the A86 until you meet the N118 towards the A10.
Follow the A10 south.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:58 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
You may want to use the A16 which comes down to the west of Paris.
You pass Beauvais and then turn off towards Cergy-Pontoise then the A15 until you connect with the A86 - the outer ring road around Paris.
Follow the A86 until you meet the N118 towards the A10.
Follow the A10 south.
.... but the OP says he wants to head for the Camargue via the Millau bridge, so, from the A86 south of Paris, he should head towards Clermont-Ferrand. (As you may have gathered, I only know south of C-F and more particularly the Hérault and neighbouring départements!)
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will need to research them more.

This is part of a trip from Gibraltar to Ireland / UK and back.

Spain I am fairly familiar with and the trip up through the West of France to Roscoff is already planned.

Time wise we are fairly relaxed about and has we are unlikely to do this again we want to make the most of this trip.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will need to research them more.

This is part of a trip from Gibraltar to Ireland / UK and back.

Spain I am fairly familiar with and the trip up through the West of France to Roscoff is already planned.

Time wise we are fairly relaxed about and has we are unlikely to do this again we want to make the most of this trip.
Wow, that's some trip!
I'll look out for more places in my part of the world, so you'll have a good choice of not-to-miss visits...

P.S. Forgot to mention Arles, which is a real "must-see" if you like Roman archeology. A day won't be enough to visit the town and the Museum where you'll find a "human-looking" bust of Caesar and a reconstituted boat recovered from the Rhône. If you'd prefer a coastal route going West, pass through Aigues-Mortes, Sète, Agde (another good Museum in Cap d'Agde), Narbonne, before going South.

Last edited by dmu; Feb 22nd 2016 at 7:31 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
.... but the OP says he wants to head for the Camargue via the Millau bridge, so, from the A86 south of Paris, he should head towards Clermont-Ferrand. (As you may have gathered, I only know south of C-F and more particularly the Hérault and neighbouring départements!)
Yes he changes onto the A71 at Orleans then the A75 .
I assumed that having guided him round Paris that he would be able to work out the rest of his route.
My DD studied in C-F for a year and I travelled the route many times.

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 22nd 2016 at 10:01 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cyrian yes avoiding Paris was high up on my list

Also using Bing Maps route planner is very useful but also personal advice / knowledge helps to turn a journey from an A to B into an experience
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

You also have to allow for autoroute charges which will be expensive.
The following link can give you the areas of potential congestion for a given date and also (under Tarifs) the cost for certain routes.
http://www.vinci-autoroutes.com/fr/prevision-trafic
Traffic on holiday weekends can be a nightmare (M25 - like).
Also watch for radar traps especially near Calais but generally throughout France.
They can also time you from one pay station to the next.
You also need all your vehicle documents with you including registration document.
Sorry if you already know all this.

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 22nd 2016 at 10:22 am. Reason: Forgot link - added
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You also have to allow for autoroute charges which will be expensive.
The following link can give you the areas of potential congestion for a given date and also (under Tarifs) the cost for certain routes.
Prévisions de trafic sur autoroute | VINCI Autoroutes
Traffic on holiday weekends can be a nightmare (M25 - like).
Also watch for radar traps especially near Calais but generally throughout France.
They can also time you from one pay station to the next.
You also need all your vehicle documents with you including registration document.
Sorry if you already know all this.
What's M25? I fled UK before it was built.
Thanks for the link, can you pay tolls by cash and or debit card?
Radar I am used to it.
Documentation is necessary throughout most of Europe so it is always in my car, however what happened about carrying breathalysers?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

What's M25? I fled UK before it was built.
Thanks for the link, can you pay tolls by cash and or debit card?
Radar I am used to it.
Documentation is necessary throughout most of Europe so it is always in my car, however what happened about carrying breathalysers?
The M25 is a free car park around London.
Most peage are manned. you have the option of cash; card or telepeage.
Many manned booths are closed overnight and are card only.
France decided not to enforce the law regarding carrying breathalysers - they are not necessary although the last time I crossed the channel they were being sold on the ferry.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

The M25 is a free car park around London.
Most peage are manned. you have the option of cash; card or telepeage.
Many manned booths are closed overnight and are card only.
France decided not to enforce the law regarding carrying breathalysers - they are not necessary although the last time I crossed the channel they were being sold on the ferry.
Be warned that the telepeages won't accept foreign visa or debit cards, only the french Carte Bleue (you will the CB sign). Same for unmanned petrol stations. Carry sufficient cash with you and don't wait to fill up your car overnight or on a Sunday away from a motorway service station. In most towns you won't find a manned station at night or on a sunday.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Be warned that the telepeages won't accept foreign visa or debit cards, only the french Carte Bleue (you will the CB sign). Same for unmanned petrol stations. Carry sufficient cash with you and don't wait to fill up your car overnight or on a Sunday away from a motorway service station. In most towns you won't find a manned station at night or on a sunday.
I couldn't include that info because I have only ever used a french card in France. Thanks for the addition.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 4:20 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Be warned that the telepeages won't accept foreign visa or debit cards, only the french Carte Bleue (you will the CB sign)
To split hairs a little, "télépéage" is an electronic payment system for regular drivers, indicated by a stylised t
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9p%C3%A9age
not the actual "péage" (tool-booth).
Just to encourage the OP, the A75 between Clermont-Ferrand and Béziers and/or Montpellier is free, except for the toll to cross over the Viaduct.
Likewise thanks for the info re paying by CB. I use a French card, and didn't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.