Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Transiting through France during Covid

Transiting through France during Covid

Old May 31st 2021, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transiting through France during Covid

For me this is probably the main theme that's emerged from this pandemic. Over and over again the issue is, Individual versus Society.
A tricky one at the best of times, and especially when the Individual in question actually has no connection whatsoever to the Society in question. So why should that person care about it - and yet they expect it to care about them.
Sorry, musta woke up in a philosophical mood this morning!
Old May 31st 2021, 6:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
Sorry, but I think that comment is unfair. Of course the French government must act in what it believes is the best interest of the French people. Nobody has suggested anything else. All that's being asked for is clarity about what the new rules actually are.
I rather think that Annetje was commenting with her tongue-in-cheek and maybe should have added an appropriate Smiley....
The phasing of the confinement/deconfinement rules for people living in France has so far been done at the announced dates, and if there are likely to be changes to the 9th June rules, they'll be officially announced by the PM/President beforehand. Within the country, we know what to expect, unless the Covid figures increase significantly.
These "new rules" only concern people coming from the UK as of today, who comply with the exceptions as listed on the Attestations, particularly the "compelling reasons", (which, in fact, have always existed). I'm sorry, for those wanting to transit through France, that there's been no mention on official sites of quarantine for them, but, with all due respect, as far as official announcements are concerned, whoever worded them probably didn't even think of "transiters", as there are very few in the general scheme of things.
As said above, counting on not being checked isn't the right attitude, and as many justifying documents as possible should be carried, just in case. Murphy's Law works in France, too.....
Old May 31st 2021, 8:30 am
Just Joined

almeirim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Annetje
And I'm very sorry about that but understand this, it's for weeks now that the EU countries are being attacked and ridiculed because the rules between UK and EU have changed and frankly, I'm a bit tired of it. We didn't want this, we didn't vote for it and we have to apply to different rules as well.
Btw, if we were to come to the UK we need to go in quarantine as well.

We are in de middle of an pandemic and life is difficult for everyone. We just, yes JUST come out of a severe lockdown and are trying to open up a bit and the last thing we want is a new variant to be spread around ... (And you can thank your Johnson who didn't want to stop flights from India for that one !)
We try to make sense of all the different rules ... within France, between EU countries, between non EU countries and France ... and, believe me, it's hard to keep up ! Everything changes on a daily basis but hey, that's life during a pandemic.
People here are trying to help you all and frankly, deserve much more appreciation than what they are given in the post from almeirim.
And, again mr almeirim, we are only JUST coming out of lockdown !

The rules are clear : If you don't have an URGENT reason for travelling through France, it is against the rules to travel through France.
If you do have an URGENT reason, prepare all the documents you can think of to prove this and just go (like Nand said above) although, I hasten to add,
counting on not being checked is the wrong way to look at this !
One should stick to the rules : not having an URGENT reason means no traveling through France.
First of all, on the subject of respect, please address my title and gender properly. I am not 'Mr Almeririm'

Secondly, I consider myself a European British citizen who abhors Brexit and all that stands for it - so I wanted to stay in the EU. Why else would I have tried so hard to gain residency of Portugal??

Thirdly, the quarantine issue is crucial importance to the fate of my residency and also to secure a driving licence exchange. If I was to be detained in France for 7 days I would be over extending my allotted time out of Portugal and at strong risk of losing my residency rights and would lose the right to exchange my licence. The documents for this are required with IMT, the portuguese driving licence authorities by 11 June.

So I will have to be forgiven for being very unhappy with the guidance that gives zero clarity to those transiting the country and this morning the Foreign Commonwealth site in the UK at face value suggests that everyone, irrespective of their purpose, including EU nationals, has to take the PCR test AND then quarantine for 7 days. If that is true, then I am in deep trouble and everything I have worked towards is in total jeopardy
Old May 31st 2021, 9:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by almeirim
First of all, on the subject of respect, please address my title and gender properly. I am not 'Mr Almeririm'
I have quoted you but this is for other members too as I have also fallen foul of addressing people by the incorrect gender. No-one knows whether you are male or female unless your name is very obviously a certain gender or if you mention your husband/wife in a lot of your posts.

There used to be the option of having a male or female symbol beside your user name but I have just noticed that this is no longer appears to be available.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; May 31st 2021 at 10:07 am.
Old May 31st 2021, 11:47 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Truly sorry about me not properly guessing your gender Mrs. Almeirim ... or is it Mrs. Almeririm ?

Old May 31st 2021, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have quoted you but this is for other members too as I have also fallen foul of addressing people by the incorrect gender. No-one knows whether you are male or female unless your name is very obviously a certain gender or if you mention your husband/wife in a lot of your posts.

There used to be the option of having a male or female symbol beside your user name but I have just noticed that this is no longer appears to be available.

Rosemary
Thankyou for explaining that
Old May 31st 2021, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Truly sorry about me not properly guessing your gender Mrs. Almeirim ... or is it Mrs. Almeririm ?
Thanks - don't worry, my user name doesn't give much of a clue - and there was me complaining about lack of clarity from website information
Old Jun 1st 2021, 5:53 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

almeirim
I hope you are now well on your way through France !
Please keep us informed about your travel experience.
Bon voyage !
Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

I'm praying you don't get stopped and checked. 😄🕊
Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nand
I'm praying you don't get stopped and checked. 😄🕊

I’m not at all religious, but I think it’s probably a waste of a prayer .
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 6:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

almeirim
I hope you are now well on your way through France !
Please keep us informed about your travel experience.
Bon voyage !
+1
good or bad, for the benefit of future travellers!
And good luck for your imminent bureaucratic activities...
Old Jun 4th 2021, 11:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

New French regulations concerning international travel will come in force on 9th June. I won't repeat the details given today for those arriving from the UK (and USA), since they might change between now and then. Watch this space....
Old Jun 4th 2021, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Hello all and thanks for the kind wishes

I am at my home in Portugal. It was a very,,,very..long journey but the whole thing was uninterrupted other than petrol and to check on Tedros the cat. The paperwork organising and re-shuffling as well as the anxiety about what might happen as soon as we arrived at customs, or indeed driving through France and into Spain and Portugal etc with their borders turned out to be the most testing aspect of the whole trip. At the Eurotunnel we had a very nice lady in pet reception who gave us some good tips if we needed them (about taking pet food through customs) and checking his AHC was a matter of 5 mintues - the rest was pleasant conversation.

Then on to the first of two border controls. The English border control was a quick check of passports and that we had completed the Eurotunnel travelling form and then it was onto the French border control who merely asked us why we wanted to head to Portugal. A quick cursory look at the residency form and the PCR tests and that was it. He wasn't interested in any of the other French forms....

We had a wait for the train, but that was a chance to watch the sun come up - and then we boarded.

Within 45 minutes we on French soil and the long drive began. On we went, not a gendarme to be seen - just lots of motorway. The tags for the tolls we had bought from the Eurotunnel site were brilliant - approach the barrier and immediately off we went once more..

Spectacular Pyrenean countryside suddenly led to a 'border' - a EU Spain roadsign but otherwise it was the same and we just drove on through Spain till late evening and then it was the same thing heading across the Portuguese border and despite thereafter nearly take a wrong turn and doing a u-turn on the wrong side of the road. Two bemused cars went passed, but otherwise it was thankfully more of the same drive in isolation

Ironically it was the very end part of the journey where total fatigue took over and in the dark we couldn't recognise the myriad of little lanes that have familiar land marks during the day and we spent 45 mins getting tied in knots going round in circles till finally the penny dropped and we recognised the turning to the track that leads up to our farm. All in pitch black but enough to know that finally we were home
Old Jun 5th 2021, 6:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hello all and thanks for the kind wishes

I am at my home in Portugal. It was a very,,,very..long journey but the whole thing was uninterrupted other than petrol and to check on Tedros the cat. The paperwork organising and re-shuffling as well as the anxiety about what might happen as soon as we arrived at customs, or indeed driving through France and into Spain and Portugal etc with their borders turned out to be the most testing aspect of the whole trip. At the Eurotunnel we had a very nice lady in pet reception who gave us some good tips if we needed them (about taking pet food through customs) and checking his AHC was a matter of 5 mintues - the rest was pleasant conversation.

Then on to the first of two border controls. The English border control was a quick check of passports and that we had completed the Eurotunnel travelling form and then it was onto the French border control who merely asked us why we wanted to head to Portugal. A quick cursory look at the residency form and the PCR tests and that was it. He wasn't interested in any of the other French forms....

We had a wait for the train, but that was a chance to watch the sun come up - and then we boarded.

Within 45 minutes we on French soil and the long drive began. On we went, not a gendarme to be seen - just lots of motorway. The tags for the tolls we had bought from the Eurotunnel site were brilliant - approach the barrier and immediately off we went once more..

Spectacular Pyrenean countryside suddenly led to a 'border' - a EU Spain roadsign but otherwise it was the same and we just drove on through Spain till late evening and then it was the same thing heading across the Portuguese border and despite thereafter nearly take a wrong turn and doing a u-turn on the wrong side of the road. Two bemused cars went passed, but otherwise it was thankfully more of the same drive in isolation

Ironically it was the very end part of the journey where total fatigue took over and in the dark we couldn't recognise the myriad of little lanes that have familiar land marks during the day and we spent 45 mins getting tied in knots going round in circles till finally the penny dropped and we recognised the turning to the track that leads up to our farm. All in pitch black but enough to know that finally we were home

BRAVO!!
Old Jun 5th 2021, 7:28 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

A handy diagram here... (Scroll down a bit)

https://www.france24.com/en/france/2...ith-conditions

But of course, things can change...

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.