Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Traitemnet des deschets menagers

Traitemnet des deschets menagers

Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road
Default Traitemnet des deschets menagers

Hi, bought a house in France last year and am aware of the Tax d'Habitation and the Tax Fonciere. However, we have just had a bill for "Le traitement des dechets menagers".

Is this is to cover the cost of recycling the stuff we take to the deschetterie or do they think that we get our rubbish collected from the house?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traitemnet des deschets menagers

Originally Posted by jonkemp
Hi, bought a house in France last year and am aware of the Tax d'Habitation and the Tax Fonciere. However, we have just had a bill for "Le traitement des dechets menagers".

Is this is to cover the cost of recycling the stuff we take to the deschetterie or do they think that we get our rubbish collected from the house?
Hi
Our twice weekly collections for rubbish and recyclables are included with the above taxes.
Have you had any large items uplifted from home?
We also have a card (from the Mairie) which permits us to take stuff to the dechetterie.
Without the card, I suspect that we would be charged (if we are allowed to use it). Why don't you ask at the Mairie or ask your neighbours?
Different areas may have different systems.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

HI, thanks for getting back.

The house is a holiday home so we are not there at the moment. Also, it is in the middle of no where, so no neighbours. We don't have the rubbish collected, but we take it to the nearest village where we put the glass into one bin, plastics into another etc.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonkemp
HI, thanks for getting back.

The house is a holiday home so we are not there at the moment. Also, it is in the middle of no where, so no neighbours. We don't have the rubbish collected, but we take it to the nearest village where we put the glass into one bin, plastics into another etc.
Do you have no wheelie bin for collections of the other non recyclable trash? Waste disposal is included in our normal taxes and as of yet we don't need a card or owt to get shot of stuff at the déchèterie although they have become a bit gestapo like with rubbish to the point now where they empty out anything in binbags you take to try to separate it further.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Do you have no wheelie bin for collections of the other non recyclable trash? Waste disposal is included in our normal taxes and as of yet we don't need a card or owt to get shot of stuff at the déchèterie although they have become a bit gestapo like with rubbish to the point now where they empty out anything in binbags you take to try to separate it further.
Can you ask your Mayor about this. In our village we have collections of rubbish weekly and big stuff monthly. We don't need a card for the déchèterie as the official just looks at the car plate and knows we are local.
I would assume the charge is correct
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:06 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanya
Can you ask your Mayor about this. In our village we have collections of rubbish weekly and big stuff monthly. We don't need a card for the déchèterie as the official just looks at the car plate and knows we are local.
I would assume the charge is correct
You can ask your Mayor about anything, As for collections it's the same. Personally I would have expected the charge to be on the Taxes already so like the op I would question an additional bill for waste disposal.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies, think I will contact the Mayor. It just seems a little odd as we don't have a wheelie bin or any collection from the house. The bill recognises the fact that it is a holiday home, but at 80 Euros a year it will work out at 15 Euros a visit, whcih seems a bit steep.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I just discussed this with the French OH, and she seems to recall that some communes/départements (not sure which/where) were running pilot schemes for the traitements des ordures ménagères, where these were being billed seperately from the property taxes each year.
I've no reason to believe this is incorrect, although she does occasionally 'slip a cog'.