Train help

Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:37 am
Just Joined

ClaireTanzania is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Train help

I am a British citizen, residing in Tanzania and, at the end of October, due to visit my family who have moved to France. I have never used the French rail network and after extensive searching would appreciate some clarifications!
I arrive in Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Terminal 2F Saturday 29th October 2005 at 0800hrs and need to get to Limoges or Poitiers.

1) I understand there is a train station below Terminal 2 that has a TGV train to Poitiers at 0854hrs (too early to get baggage and catch?) and 1344hrs. Is it necessary to pre-book this train and if so can I print out the ticket or pick it up from the station?

As this would mean a long wait at CDG...

2) Is the only other choice to go to Montparnasse and catch a train from there? How long does it take to get from CDG to Montparnasse by bus? or taxi?

Looking forward to hearing any info and happy to divulge Africa facts and travel info too!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:42 am
Just Joined

cinders1850 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Train help

Originally Posted by ClaireTanzania
I am a British citizen, residing in Tanzania and, at the end of October, due to visit my family who have moved to France. I have never used the French rail network and after extensive searching would appreciate some clarifications!
I arrive in Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Terminal 2F Saturday 29th October 2005 at 0800hrs and need to get to Limoges or Poitiers.

1) I understand there is a train station below Terminal 2 that has a TGV train to Poitiers at 0854hrs (too early to get baggage and catch?) and 1344hrs. Is it necessary to pre-book this train and if so can I print out the ticket or pick it up from the station?

2) Is the only other choice to go to Montparnasse and catch a train from there? How long does it take to get from CDG to Montparnasse by bus? or taxi?

Looking forward to hearing any info and happy to divulge Africa facts and travel info too!
Hello Claire,

I live in Lyon and don't know Paris that well but I spent a few days there this year. According to the website for the RATP (public transport network in Paris) you can get from CDG to Montparnasse station in about an hour using the local train (RER Line B) from terminal 1 to Denfert-Rochereau then Metro line 4 to Montparnasse. Check their website www.ratp.fr or www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php .

There is also a bus between the airport and Montparnasse which runs every 30 mins and takes about 50 minutes- see the airport website www.paris-cdg.com/transportation.html .

Re the TGV, seats are allocated and you need a reservation to travel on it. It is possible to buy a ticket at the station just before you travel but you can also book (and pay for) your ticket online and have it posted to you so long as you book it in time for the post to reach you, of course. See www.voyages-sncf.com . If you buy a full-fare ticket, it can be exchanged for a later train if you miss the train you've booked. You must validate ("composter") your ticket before getting on the train or you may end up with a fine.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Bon voyage!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Hi Claire,
You can go to Montparnasse but be aware that it's a really very big trainstation with what will seem like miles of corridors to get from one end to the other if you have a bit of luggage to carry.
Charles de Gaulle is very easy to get around and you could even get a trolley at the airport and keep it as far as the train. You probably won't make the 0854 train though as it takes a while to get off the plane and get your luggage.
To book your tickets you can do it yourself on the internet, they will even be cheaper in most cases, some of them you can print yourself.
Have a nice holiday
Priscilia

Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

all above is safe info

been to thse stns so can share dont be afraid at the actual size of the places.

however
"You must validate ("composter") your ticket before getting on the train or you may end up with a fine."

you'll see a non guarded sort of tiny thing at the start of the platform, people will walk up to it and insert the corner of their ticket, it will punch out/print onto said. thus validate for travel on the train standing there.

please dont ignore them or walk past like it is not for you .... it is for all! (stupid red post with box on top) not overly obvious but hey!

does not work for internet bookings no magnetic strip.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

If you speak French, you can call up SNCF and reserve the train ticket for a certain period whilst you decide if you want to take them. Also sometimes they can cheaper tickets than those available online. If you have only one suitcase, the train from CDG to Montparnasse would be doable. Otherwise a taxi would be easier but much more costly.
Bon voyage!