Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Trailer over 750KG license change?

Trailer over 750KG license change?

Old May 6th 2012, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

ChissayLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailer over 750KG license change?

It seems that in the UK, in 2013 there are to be license changes about towing a trailer or caravan weighing more than 750Kg.
This link refers:
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...sing/DG_201202

Allegedly, this is to 'come into line with Europe.'

Can anyone kindly help with towing a trailer weighing more than 750 KG on French roads, with a UK driving license, driving either a UK registered or French registered vehicle and trailer?
For now and a possible imminent future rule change?

Thank you.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:45 am
Just Joined

wewe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trailer over 750KG license change?

oh not sure regarding this
Old May 7th 2012, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Hmm. Thanks.
Is there anyone out there that IS a bit clearer?
Old May 7th 2012, 9:50 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChissayLuke
It seems that in the UK, in 2013 there are to be license changes about towing a trailer or caravan weighing more than 750Kg.
This link refers:
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...sing/DG_201202

Allegedly, this is to 'come into line with Europe.'

Can anyone kindly help with towing a trailer weighing more than 750 KG on French roads, with a UK driving license, driving either a UK registered or French registered vehicle and trailer?
For now and a possible imminent future rule change?

Thank you.
Your link comes up as a server error. By 750kg I assume you are referring to its capacity weight level, not the trailer itself.
Old May 7th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Interesting - I tried the link before and just tried it again - works fine for me...

Yes, 750 KG Gross weight, PTAC
Old May 7th 2012, 2:10 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjm
Your link comes up as a server error. By 750kg I assume you are referring to its capacity weight level, not the trailer itself.
Works for me, Just gives a certificate error.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:05 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Works for me, Just gives a certificate error.
Must be me KO, the in-mail link failed also to ChissyLuke's response. Ho-Hum ...
Old May 7th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The change only affects new licences from Jan 13th so has no impact whatsoever on current licence holders.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Is that in UK or France?
And my read and understanding of the new UK rules is that it WILL affect existing license holders.
I believe also that there is European integration involved, hence my original question.
To quote from the site:

'Existing car or small vehicle drivers
If you already have a licence to drive cars or small vehicles (category B and BE), you'll keep your entitlement to tow trailers. Your entitlement to tow trailers will stay as it was when you passed your driving test.

To tow heavier trailers after 19 January 2013, you'll need to follow the rules for new drivers, below.New drivers from 19 January 2013
If you pass your test to drive cars or small vehicles up to 3,500 kilograms (kg) (category B) from 19 January 2013, you’ll be able to tow:

•light trailers weighing no more than 750 kg
•trailers weighing more than 750 kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle (car or small vehicle) and the trailer is not more than 3,500 kg'

Last edited by ChissayLuke; May 8th 2012 at 6:10 am. Reason: Adding quotation
Old May 8th 2012, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I can see where some confusion might creep in and I think DVLA could benefit from some training from the Plain English Campaign, however if you bypass DVLA and go direct to the the underlying EU directive you'll find that in the opening preamble it states:

(5) This Directive should not prejudice existing entitlements to drive granted or acquired before its date of application.

and in Article 13 of the text it goes on to state:

2. Any entitlement to drive granted before 19 January 2013 shall not be removed or in any way qualified by the provisions of this Directive.

It's abundantly clear then that these changes will apply to new drivers not existing.

To help crystallise the changes it may useful to read this. http://www.licencebureau.co.uk/wp-co...260312-New.pdf
Old May 8th 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

That's really helpful!
Thanks !