Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

'tis the Loto season

'tis the Loto season

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:11 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'tis the Loto season

Originally Posted by treskillard
Looks like I may have over reacted. I can't imagine you doing that to a pig or a peg as they call it Scotland.

Nice animals, unless they don't like you in which case, run.
What did you use to 'meet the locals' Tres, when you were in France . I'm relatively new here but i gather you're back in the UK after living in France, but that's about as much as I know
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:12 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Tres, it's supposed to be some Sex Symbol called Roy Liotta, never heard of im meself, thought he was a footballer.

Come to think of it, the pic DOES have a receding hairline - how can he be a sex symbol with them bald bits? Je Ne Comprendo Pas.
A high forehead didn't put a dampener on Yul Brynner's exploits between the sheets
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:13 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Ewood, what's up m8? Not blubbing are you? That self-defacating image doesn't suit you dear! Where's that brash git who put that Dead Dodgy pic of me on here, in a compromising situation with a chainsaw?

I can't imagine you playing Bingo either, unless everyone was covered in mud and wearing Blackburn Rovers shirts .........
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:15 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood, what's up m8? Not blubbing are you? That self-defacating image doesn't suit you dear! Where's that brash git who put that Dead Dodgy pic of me on here, in a compromising situation with a chainsaw?

I can't imagine you playing Bingo either, unless everyone was covered in mud and wearing Blackburn Rovers shirts .........
Self-defacating!!!!!!!!! Blimey, i don't want to think about that image. Self-deprecating maybe?

I like to keep you guessing Andy
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:20 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Drat, self-depracating, THAT's what I meant, sorry, going soft in the head.

Suppose it could have been worse, I could have said self-decapitating .....
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:26 pm
Far Kynelle

Drat, self-depracating, THAT's what I meant, sorry, going soft in the head.

Suppose it could have been worse, I could have said self-decapitating .....
Groan. Not that chainsaw again?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:32 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ewood
Nice animals, unless they don't like you in which case, run.
What did you use to 'meet the locals' Tres, when you were in France . I'm relatively new here but i gather you're back in the UK after living in France, but that's about as much as I know
I've just spent a year in France and I already spoke fluent French as I'd lived the Dordogne through the late 80s and 90s. So that did make it easier because I could just start by saying "Hi, I speak already actually because etc" which gets a bit boring. So I did alternate with "When did the last working horse leave the area?". When I first moved over to France I had to work and everybody was French. A year of agricultural work and oddments and then English teaching. Really teaching English was a great way to learn French. I was constantly working at simple vocabulary and forms of language and I couldn't help but learn how these were done in French through the kids and fear! So, I'd say offering English lessons or conversation at the least would help that. The other thing that teaching did was got me to meet such a wide group of local people that would have taken years if not generations ;-) to meet otherwise. I was also really nosey - I mean fascinated by the world I had moved into, the words, the way things were done, the manners, the farming, the woods, the history - it all enchanted me and the people who knew most about it were all local and I really wanted to learn. That sounds really self-satisfied but it is true - I mean that I really wanted to know what people had lived through because I wanted to feel at home. Are you in France or UK?

Last edited by treskillard; Nov 23rd 2008 at 8:35 pm. Reason: that's better
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:47 pm
Far Kynelle

I've just spent a year in France and I already spoke fluent French as I'd lived the Dordogne through the late 80s and 90s. So that did make it easier because I could just start by saying "Hi, I speak already actually because etc" which gets a bit boring. So I did alternate with "When did the last working horse leave the area?". When I first moved over to France I had to work and everybody was French. A year of agricultural work and oddments and then English teaching. Really teaching English was a great way to learn French. I was constantly working at simple vocabulary and forms of language and I couldn't help but learn how these were done in French through the kids and fear! So, I'd say offering English lessons or conversation at the least would help that. The other thing that teaching did was got me to meet such a wide group of local people that would have taken years if not generations ;-) to meet otherwise. I was also really nosey - I mean fascinated by the world I had moved into, the words, the way things were done, the manners, the farming, the woods, the history - it all enchanted me and the people who knew most about it were all local and I really wanted to learn. That sounds really self-satisfied but it is true - I mean that I really wanted to know what people had lived through because I wanted to feel at home. Are you in France or UK?

UK sadly. Ideally would like to be able to flit back and forth, mainly for family reasons, but for aforementioned family reasons, not going to happen for a good while, whatever the financial state of the union.

For me, getting into the local way of life, learning about the differences and mixing in, that's what its all about. No point in leaving somewhere if all you want to do is recreate it elsewhere IMHO. Admittedly an expat isn't going to become French, ever, but on the whole i think it a good thing to mix in
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:50 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ewood
UK sadly. Ideally would like to be able to flit back and forth, mainly for family reasons, but for aforementioned family reasons, not going to happen for a good while, whatever the financial state of the union.

For me, getting into the local way of life, learning about the differences and mixing in, that's what its all about. No point in leaving somewhere if all you want to do is recreate it elsewhere IMHO. Admittedly an expat isn't going to become French, ever, but on the whole i think it a good thing to mix in
Come on! Who'd want to be French anyway you'd end up surrounded by Brits all wanting to buy your plum conserves.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:22 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Come on! Who'd want to be French anyway you'd end up surrounded by Brits all wanting to buy your plum conserves.
They can all keep their fithy hands off MY missus' plum conserves!

Matron! MATRON?

I've just 'blogged about a subject that touches upon the ex-pat's we sometimes come into contact with here in France. If anyone wants a look, then it's here - The Bistro Bus.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:19 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Le Chant
They can all keep their fithy hands off MY missus' plum conserves!

Matron! MATRON?

I've just 'blogged about a subject that touches upon the ex-pat's we sometimes come into contact with here in France. If anyone wants a look, then it's here - The Bistro Bus.
Interesting read, Funny I met some horrible Expats last night, Utter snobs whose justification for being better was being City Folk. I have not met anyone that I choose to dislike that quickly in a long time.:curse: No offense to any other city dwellers here.