Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

tax code 1406-1 general des impots

tax code 1406-1 general des impots

Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

trigger 07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax code 1406-1 general des impots

We have a house in france that we have refurbished for many years we pay avis d'imposition tax every year but they now keep sending us a form l'article 1406-1 code general des imports. we think it has to do with the completed works on the property and has a code on reverse of letter to input into the www.imports.gouv.fr website but we cant understand where or what we need to do?
many thanks in advance if anyone can help shed light on this?
Dave
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax code 1406-1 general des impots

It does relate to the improvements/refurbishments of the building:
IF- Taxe foncière sur les propriétés bâties – Obligations des propriétaires et sanctions

BTW, the link you gave has a typo, it should perhaps be https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/particulier

Which form are they asking you to provide? And do you speak/read French?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trigger 07
We have a house in france that we have refurbished for many years we pay avis d'imposition tax every year but they now keep sending us a form l'article 1406-1 code general des imports. we think it has to do with the completed works on the property and has a code on reverse of letter to input into the www.imports.gouv.fr website but we cant understand where or what we need to do?
many thanks in advance if anyone can help shed light on this?
Dave
Hi, there's an error in the link, it should read "impots", but in any case they've changed the site and it's not at all "customer"-friendly....
You're right, Article 1406-1 concerns finished renovations, etc.. and you have 90 days to inform the Fisc (so that they can re-assess your Taxe Foncière since the rentable value has increaed).
Someone who has done this will come along to advise how to go about making this declaration on-line, but it might be simpler if you inform them by snailmail.... Whatever, remember to keep a copy for yourself!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I have no clue about doing it online, sorry . I've only ever dealt with the Fisc on paper.

When you say "keep" sending you, do you mean this has been requested more than once? If so, you'll need to get it sorted one way or the other.

I'm suspecting you don't understand much French? As "avis d'imposition" is not a tax. It's a notice...

ETA: I've found a couple or 3 of good articles explaining this/what to do, but only in French, so far. Here's one:
http://www.leparticulier.fr/jcms/c_3...ravaux-au-fisc

There's a note on what type of renovations/refurbishment don't need to be declared...

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 14th 2017 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

hi many thanks for your reply we wrote to them along with the letter telling them that the house would be finished last september but still have the same letter sent yesterday . the letter seems to be asking to go one line and register or something but the two numbers needed to enter the part we need ie numero fiscal and de l avis wont let us in so am stuck still not knowing the work they refer to for some reason says a extension and garage but dont know where this has come from as we have no room for either thanks trigger
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

hi many thanks for your reply we wrote to them along with the letter telling them that the house would be finished last september but still have the same letter sent yesterday . the letter seems to be asking to go one line and register or something but the two numbers needed to enter the part we need ie numero fiscal and de l avis wont let us in so am stuck still not knowing the work they refer to for some reason says a extension and garage but dont know where this has come from as we have no room for either thanks trigger
THe online system is very "French"... You will first need to register using the reference numbers of your last Avis d'impôts. If you don't have one, you won't be able to register...

We might be able to help you further if you are able to post a copy (image of the letter you have received blanking out all identifying details, of course!) here.

I'm a bit confused as you mention "refurbishing over many years", then "the house would be finished in September last year".

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 14th 2017 at 4:53 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

thanks again i have been doing the house up over ten years and finished it last September but have had three of these letters the last on twelve months ago was sent with a long letter written in french from a friend french of course explaining the work i have carried out as i am self employed builder in the uk . the work done is just internal and has not altered the external size or look at all i have tried all numbers to log in or register to stop getting these letters but nothing i have had written or sent seems to achieve anything thanks
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again i have been doing the house up over ten years and finished it last September but have had three of these letters the last on twelve months ago was sent with a long letter written in french from a friend french of course explaining the work i have carried out as i am self employed builder in the uk . the work done is just internal and has not altered the external size or look at all i have tried all numbers to log in or register to stop getting these letters but nothing i have had written or sent seems to achieve anything thanks
Even interiorr work (extra loos/showers, central heating, etc...) will increase the rental value and consequently the Taxe Foncière. Did you file a Declaration at the Mairie before the work started?
Still don't know what to advise re this declaration to the Fisc, but I'm now wondering whether they need an official signing off certificate by a French professional? Maybe not, but if you did all the work yourself, you might encounter problems if there's an Insurance claim, and/or if you decide to sell.....
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

hope these pictures appear
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:32 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trigger07, I assume the work you have been doing was originally the subject of a permis de construire or declaration de travaux. If this is the case then they will send you, with monotonous regularity, a reminder to declare when these works are undertaken. On the form you can declare a partial completion of the works with an estimate of when the remainder will be completed. This will not stop them sending you more reminders up until you tell them all the works have been completed. It's a computer thing
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

hi thanks for your reply i will send a note back with the form telling them its completed my only concern is i did this last year so it hasnt worked do you think it would be better going into a tax office to see if that works unfortunatly i dont speak or read french but have a good freind in my village many thanks
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

You might get better results from visiting your local tax office, with a fluent French speaker. However, I'd suggest you first find out/get translated the official letters you have received already and understanding exactly what they are asking for.

"Writing a letter" or a "note" is unlikely to suffice, as you are discovering.

Declarations of renovation work (if necessary) do not wait until all work is finished. They are required as soon as (must be declared within 90 days) each stage is functional, or usable.

https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/p...declaratives-0
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shirtback
You might get better results from visiting your local tax office, with a fluent French speaker. However, I'd suggest you first find out/get translated the official letters you have received already and understanding exactly what they are asking for.

"Writing a letter" or a "note" is unlikely to suffice, as you are discovering.

Declarations of renovation work (if necessary) do not wait until all work is finished. They are required as soon as (must be declared within 90 days) each stage is functional, or usable.

https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/p...declaratives-0
The problem is that the OP lives in the UK. He could possibly get the French friend in his village to drop in at the local Fisc (with copies of all the papers), and try to sort things out on his behalf, if only the generalities. For specifics, the Fisc might demand a Procuration.
A trip over for a personal visit within a couple of months might be the best solution?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
The problem is that the OP lives in the UK. He could possibly get the French friend in his village to drop in at the local Fisc (with copies of all the papers), and try to sort things out on his behalf, if only the generalities. For specifics, the Fisc might demand a Procuration.
A trip over for a personal visit within a couple of months might be the best solution?
I'm not sure I'd recommend that, given that the French friend's help apparently hasn't helped so far (no disparagement of friend intended).

Going on a personal visit with interpreter & all paperwork would be my choice, in OP's situation.

I think the OP needs to clarify (at least for himself if he doesn't want to share on the forum) whether: a) the Fisc are mistaken in the nature of the refurbishments and are mistakenly demanding a "declaration", or b) OP has inadvertently misunderstood and the work DID need to be declared, & he's now falling foul of the Fisc.

As I've already said, letters/notes won't suffice: he needs to provide the forms the Fisc are requesting (one of the links I've given lists the possibilities).

If the PTB have got it wrong, that needs to be sorted asap (there are possible fines involved), & I have my doubts that it can be sorted from afar if not a French speaker .

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 15th 2017 at 2:52 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Hi Trigger07, I assume the work you have been doing was originally the subject of a permis de construire or declaration de travaux. If this is the case then they will send you, with monotonous regularity, a reminder to declare when these works are undertaken. On the form you can declare a partial completion of the works with an estimate of when the remainder will be completed. This will not stop them sending you more reminders up until you tell them all the works have been completed. It's a computer thing
Good points here, and until OP responds on the correct form, & with the information explicitly required, The requests/reminders won't stop. It's more than a "computer thing".