Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Taking my dog to France

Taking my dog to France

Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Teddybex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my dog to France

Please help!!! We recently got our dog a Pet Passport so we could take him on holiday to France. He had his rabies jab on 20th April so his passport will be valid from 20th October. We were hoping to travel on 16th October and come back on 23rd which would mean it will be valid to come back into the UK, but the vet didn't say whether it needs to be valid to enter France and silly me forgot to ask!! Does anyone know whether they check it on the way into France or not please? We are travelling by car by the way and going over on the Ferry.
Thanks in advance
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my dog to France

Originally Posted by Teddybex
Please help!!! We recently got our dog a Pet Passport so we could take him on holiday to France. He had his rabies jab on 20th April so his passport will be valid from 20th October. We were hoping to travel on 16th October and come back on 23rd which would mean it will be valid to come back into the UK, but the vet didn't say whether it needs to be valid to enter France and silly me forgot to ask!! Does anyone know whether they check it on the way into France or not please? We are travelling by car by the way and going over on the Ferry.
Thanks in advance
Phone the vet

I think its only the UK that obeys the rules
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the mutt and hide it under a blanket at Customs?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Don
Take the mutt and hide it under a blanket at Customs?
Hi Don, thanks for the suggestion but he's quite a big dog, as you can see from my avatar, could possibly have problems with the blanket idea Maybe I could hide him in a roll of carpet of something! lol
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Phone the vet

I think its only the UK that obeys the rules
Thanks, think I'll have to phone the vet. They're about as clueless as me though about the whole pet passport thing! I think I was only the second person at our vets to ask for a pet passport and they look at you like you're from another planet "Oh, a pet passport, where are you thinking of taking him??" Worth a try though just to be on the safe side. Thanks.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 9:28 am
Just Joined

robbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance

did you have a blood test 30 days after the rabies jab? The blood test was needed as that is when the jab has the best effect and I believe if going to France they are the only country that wants that proof. When bringing your dog back then you need to have it checked in France for ticks and worms before your return to the uk.

Robbs
Old Aug 21st 2004, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robbs
did you have a blood test 30 days after the rabies jab? The blood test was needed as that is when the jab has the best effect and I believe if going to France they are the only country that wants that proof. When bringing your dog back then you need to have it checked in France for ticks and worms before your return to the uk.

Robbs

Hi Robbs. Yes he has had a blood test and got his passport, it was just the six month rule I was confused about. So they do check the passport when you go into France then?
Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2004, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

robbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Robbs. Yes he has had a blood test and got his passport, it was just the six month rule I was confused about. So they do check the passport when you go into France then?
Thanks
Hi Teddybex
My wife and I are taking our 2 cats by van to Spain via France in 2 weeks and we were told that France always check pet passports, better to be safe than sorry, you dont want your dog in quarantine.
I think yoiu should check out the DEFRA website www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm or tel 0870 241 1710 as the law is or has just changed to take into account new EU regulations
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robbs
Hi Teddybex
My wife and I are taking our 2 cats by van to Spain via France in 2 weeks and we were told that France always check pet passports, better to be safe than sorry, you dont want your dog in quarantine.
I think yoiu should check out the DEFRA website www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm or tel 0870 241 1710 as the law is or has just changed to take into account new EU regulations
Thanks Robbs. I'll give them a ring. Just means we'll have to put our holiday off till the week after which I was trying to avoid as it's half term and is a lot more expensive