Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs on the ferry

Taking dogs on the ferry

Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Default Taking dogs on the ferry

Has anyone taken their dogs on the ferry, either the shorter route or the overnight, how do they get on and are they sea sick? We are in the beginning stage of hopefully buying in Brittany and I want to make sure I know what we are taking on, and ensuring that we can travel with the dogs back and forth, not often, but that they will not be traumatised. We will do the Chunnel sometimes, but I do like the ferry best
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking dogs on the ferry

Yeah , with all its troubles , the Chunnel tunnel IS always better ;
otherwise , your dear dog is stranded , inside your car , inside the idiotically unfriedly ferry , for some absolute hours on end ;
one dog-lover to another ?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

...and don't forget the complications of returning to UK
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by wetwang
...and don't forget the complications of returning to UK
I know about the flea and tick treatments within the timeframes, I am just concerned about the actual trip and making it as easy and comfortable for the dogs as possible - I would rather drive further and take the Chunnel if the dogs have to stay in the car the whole time on the ferry
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

ardlifeinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MNandMN
I know about the flea and tick treatments within the timeframes, I am just concerned about the actual trip and making it as easy and comfortable for the dogs as possible - I would rather drive further and take the Chunnel if the dogs have to stay in the car the whole time on the ferry
hi, we have travelled to France 3 times with our two dogs, the first time on the ferry from Dover to Calais with no problem at all. I think they just curled up and slept like they do when we leave them to go shopping, though we didn't have a rough crossing. The other two we used the chunnel due to good ole Tesco, and again they just curled up on the bed with me. Also there is no trouble at all bringing them back, on the ferry and chunnel you do have to visit the pet passport building before going to your train/ferry lane. but this is very quick. We take our own Frontline and Drontal now and in September it only cost 29 euros for both dogs, though the vet did try to give our springer a worm injection before I stopped her. By the way frontline can be bought for half the price on Amazon.
Hope this helps.
Dee
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:55 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to leave your animal on its own on an overnight or daytime crossing (eg Portsmout-St Malo or similar), then Tunnel and driving is the option, or Dover-Calais. Boats offer kennels, but crew is easy if you want to leave the animal in your car. If your Passport is in order re injections, then you do not need further injections. However, be aware, rabies jab in France is an annual requirement, UK injection last for three years.As for seasick dogs, not heard of it, humans yes.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

Visit the vet and get them a pet passport and all will be well at the customs etc. If you have not already got the passport, remember it does take a few weeks to sort out as the animals have to be vaccinated against rabies and then checked two weeks (?) later I think.

The vets will have all the details.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cjm
If you don't want to leave your animal on its own on an overnight or daytime crossing (eg Portsmout-St Malo or similar), then Tunnel and driving is the option, or Dover-Calais. Boats offer kennels, but crew is easy if you want to leave the animal in your car. If your Passport is in order re injections, then you do not need further injections. However, be aware, rabies jab in France is an annual requirement, UK injection last for three years.As for seasick dogs, not heard of it, humans yes.
My dog's passport is stamped with the rabies injection saying two years, apparently the English version of the vaccine is stronger than the French, or so I have read on the internet, therefore it says booster required 2011. Would the French authorities think her rabies vaccination is out of date then?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:05 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

My dog's passport is stamped with the rabies injection saying two years, apparently the English version of the vaccine is stronger than the French, or so I have read on the internet, therefore it says booster required 2011. Would the French authorities think her rabies vaccination is out of date then?
At our French vet today with our JR. Rabies end date is Feb 2011, which is when we shall be in England. Vet advised to get fresh rabies boost in UK, she believed it lasts 3 a years, whereas French booster is annual. As to strength I do not know. Your Passport will advice end date on current rabies jab.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

English/Irish vaccine lasts for 3 years. French authorities will know this so you should be fine.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snoopycat
English/Irish vaccine lasts for 3 years. French authorities will know this so you should be fine.
phew, thank you
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:28 am
Banned

ashleygerrald is an unknown quantity at this point

Taking your dog or any other pet on the ferry is no more a big deal today as many of the UK ferry companies offer pet travel scheme for the passengers. Get one for your dog too at the time of booking your ferry and you can take it with you without any hassles. I too have taken my puppy twice on ferry travel and it was quite ok staying in the car throughout the journey. I didn't face any kind of difficulty in getting back to the UK also. As for vaccination, I think you got enough of useful advises which you must follow. Also ensure that the date of vaccination is not over. Good Luck
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

Has anyone taken their dogs on the ferry, either the shorter route or the overnight, how do they get on and are they sea sick? We are in the beginning stage of hopefully buying in Brittany and I want to make sure I know what we are taking on, and ensuring that we can travel with the dogs back and forth, not often, but that they will not be traumatised. We will do the Chunnel sometimes, but I do like the ferry best
Having taken my dog over to Brittany 3 times over the last 3 years and planning a 4th to Spain, I can say that the Dog does not mind it very much. She just sleeps for the hours that we are going (we excerise the hell out of her so she is tired before we set off).

Some long haul crossings have on-board kennels which may be worth loking into.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

We brought our dog from Cork to Roscoff 3 years ago via Brittany Ferries.

Good points: Kennels very clean, stainless steel, sluiced out after previous trip.

Secure, food bowls and water are supplied.
Outer door is on a security code.
Good exercise area on top deck, nicely bracing!

Bad points : Kennels are on the top deck, so dog and belongings have to be transported from the car deck.

Kennels are sluiced out/cleaned so often they never get a chance to dry out. We replaced our dog's soggy blanket with a dry one.

On the whole, facilities are good and secure for a 12 hour crossing, the dog doesn't have to stay in the car for all that time. However the dog does have to be taken back down to the car at least one hour before arrival at port, which may mean an early rise for someone.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snoopycat
We brought our dog from Cork to Roscoff 3 years ago via Brittany Ferries.

Good points: Kennels very clean, stainless steel, sluiced out after previous trip.

Secure, food bowls and water are supplied.
Outer door is on a security code.
Good exercise area on top deck, nicely bracing!

Bad points : Kennels are on the top deck, so dog and belongings have to be transported from the car deck.

Kennels are sluiced out/cleaned so often they never get a chance to dry out. We replaced our dog's soggy blanket with a dry one.

On the whole, facilities are good and secure for a 12 hour crossing, the dog doesn't have to stay in the car for all that time. However the dog does have to be taken back down to the car at least one hour before arrival at port, which may mean an early rise for someone.

Hope this helps.
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. My dogs are so precious to me that I don't want to go on holiday worrying about whether they will be OK, so the responses have helped a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.