Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Student exchange in Reims

Student exchange in Reims

Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough
Default Student exchange in Reims

Hi,

My daughter got accepted into a student exchange program at her university and the place where she is heading in September is Reims.

This is all very new news so she doesn't have any info from the school about technicalities of the whole exchange yet.

Her French is conversational so she is hoping that after her placement ( 4 months) she will be able to gain some more language experience.

As I said she isn't sure how much support her university is providing as far as accommodation for example but I was thinking that maybe she should look into becoming an Au Pair and live with the French speaking family.

Would that be a good idea? And how does she start looking for something now for September without being there?

Any ideas? She has experience with working with children and in a coffee shop.

Thank you.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student exchange in Reims

I think she should wait until she's been given details of the exchange programme before she makes any arrangements. Presumably she will be expected to attend certain courses at the university, and she'll certainly want to get involved in student activities. Taking on other commitments that might clash with the purpose of the exchange and prevent her getting properly involved in student life, would be a shame I think.
I'm sure she will be given help in finding accommodation, she may even be offered a place in university halls of residence.
Reims is a lovely city. I haven't been there for years but do I remember it had a lot of student life. She'll have a great time.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think she should wait until she's been given details of the exchange programme before she makes any arrangements. Presumably she will be expected to attend certain courses at the university, and she'll certainly want to get involved in student activities. Taking on other commitments that might clash with the purpose of the exchange and prevent her getting properly involved in student life, would be a shame I think.
I'm sure she will be given help in finding accommodation, she may even be offered a place in university halls of residence.
Reims is a lovely city. I haven't been there for years but do I remember it had a lot of student life. She'll have a great time.
+1 She certainly will!
For 4 months, I imagine that the Uni organises short-term accommodation, and she should wait until she has all the details before searching. One of my daughters did an Erasmus year in Germany, but knew several months in advance that she'd have to do her own thing, and had time to find a flat-share.
Not a good idea to do au pair at the same time, too many commitments towards the family to make it work. And I believe that an au pair has to go to regular French classes which would risk clashing with the Uni courses.
Reims is indeed a lovely, vibrant city, I used to have in-laws in the area and the children went to Lycée and did their 2-year Prépas there.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FT
What nationality is she?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough

British. Does it matter?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 11:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairy Tales
British. Does it matter?
I was wondering the same thing! But from your other threads, you live in Canada, hence the question!
All things are (at present) easier in EU countries if you hold a British Passport....
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The advice may be different if not a EU citizen.

My experience is around 20 years out of date but my DD had studied french for 3 years at university in the UK and struggled initially to cope with day-to-day french. The university arranged initial accommodation for her - which lasted one night.
The accommodation was basic and she arrived in our hotel the next morning in tears.
I know that student accommodation has improved since then but you should check out what is proposed by the university.
My DD found it to be a very positive experience although it took her a couple of months to get up to speed with the language.
This morning I attended a discussion with a french group regarding the different customs between Anglo Saxon cultures and french culture.
This was around having to kiss everyone in your class when you arrived and understanding the subtle differences between using "tu" and "vous".
Tell your daughter not to get upset if she finds these things difficult - she will acclimatise quickly.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Lycee Jean Jaures in Reims.
I lived in Reims for several years.
Which university is she attending? Public transport even back then (late 80s) was very good so she’ll have no problem getting around.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I went to Lycee Jean Jaures in Reims.
I lived in Reims for several years.
Which university is she attending? Public transport even back then (late 80s) was very good so she’ll have no problem getting around.
Small world, so did OH's grandchildren (but much more recently!).
FWIW, my two had to find their own student accommodation privately when they went to Uni in Montpellier, as our joint income was above the threshold for the CROUS (résidence universitaire). Mind you, this was full-time, not for foreign students on 4-month placements, and it's possible that the "URCA" provides short-term student accommodation.
Les résidences universitaires - CROUS de REIMS
gives a lot of info, but best to wait until the Uni has sent you all the details....
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone very positive responses . I guess we will wait for more info.
I will come back to share more as it come from the uni.
I am sure she will struggle language wise to start with but knowing my daughter......
Once she gets an idea stuck in her head there is no convincing her otherwise until she tries.
Good character quality but painful smetimes.

Thank you