Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Staying in France after 6 months

Staying in France after 6 months

Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Rosfrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Staying in France after 6 months

The problem is more likely to be down to the French company having to start to pay charges patronales for you - these are absolutely crippling for an employer (can almost double the cost of the employee). If you remain a British employee on secondment, they probably aren't paying any charges for you. If you become a French employee, they'll have to pay a fortune each month for you. Hope you manage to find a way to stay!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

ajhurley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Looks like there might be a possible positive outcome to this.

I offered to take a pay cut to the value of the additional taxes and go on a 6 month secondment (which can be re-done) - first point means no extra taxes to the company, the second means I am not long term protected by French employment law (company had to pay out a lot before to ex-French employees).

Didn't expect this to work (as business reason flimsy) but boss (European lead) got his boss from the US to agree, and to 2 years. Delighted and appreciative of his effort. I don't know exactly what was agreed, as boss texted me at 10pm and was on holidays from that evening.

So, whilst the stay looks likely, I am hoping I am not going back 5/6 years in terms of salary (though will do so if I have to, priority is to stay in Paris). Our fringe rates (ie, all costs the company pay over and above base salary) are roughly 25% in UK, and 48% (or 62%, have conflicting figures) in France. Hence, my salary will go down by the difference between the 2 (23% or god forbid, 37%).

I have been told by a co-worker who did this in an old company that if seconded I can continue to be paid in the UK with no increase for the company in terms of social taxes in France. Is that the case?

If not, and back to the pay cut, what elements of fringe costs in France are optional? Obviously the basic social taxes are not, nor medical or basis pension. Is increased pension costs optional? Basically, I am trying to look for the way to reduce the fringe costs (theoretical) of me in France, and hence minimise my possible pay cut.

And help or opinions most welcome!

Regards,
Andrew
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

ajhurley is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found the below link.

http://travail-emploi.gouv.fr/IMG/pd...ational-UK.pdf

What this says is once I have a secondment agreement, if my company gets the E101 (now called A1) form from the NHS, I am exempt from French social security system. So, a big positive.

But, does this mean my company continue to pay their social contributions for me in England as well, and are not liable to additional contributions in France?

Thanks again,
Andrew