Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

The SS route in France

The SS route in France

Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of
Default The SS route in France

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking very seriously about taking the SS route to bring my future wife and kids to the UK.I've been living and teaching English in Thailand for the last 15 years. I have two young boys, aged 2 and 4 obviously British by decent and my girlfriend (working full time here) who I have been with for 7 years.
I've read quite a lot about the method, a friend of mine did it a couple of years ago teaching English in Spain. I realise the pay will be quite low, but if it's not for very long then Im sure we can put up with poor living.
I'd really appreciate any ideas please.
Thanks!

Last edited by tonyjames44; Jan 21st 2016 at 12:30 am.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:38 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The SS route in France

Tony, you need to have a read of this first:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-singh-cases

From this you will see that you'll need to have employment in France which, if you can't speak French, is likely to prove very difficult. You could go the self-employed route but this is likely to be very expensive. Nevertheless this is the hurdle you need to clear first.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of

Surely I wouldn't need to speak French to teach ESL? I've contacted a couple of language schools in Paris and they're both interested in employing me. The problem being only 20 hours a week is'nt going to earn me very much.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:59 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

With unemployment over 10%, there is nearly always a French-speaking candidate for any job. Let's see what other members have to say once France wakes up.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

If we aren't married does living together for 7 years and having 2 children count as a "durable" relationship?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Maybe i should consider teaching in Eastern European then. Is there a list of countries where the SS route is possible or is it all the EU countries?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyjames44
Maybe i should consider teaching in Eastern European then. Is there a list of countries where the SS route is possible or is it all the EU countries?
Certainly any EU country, and I think any EEA country, which adds Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. More options... this gets more complicated and my ideas seem to change daily.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Surely I wouldn't need to speak French to teach ESL? I've contacted a couple of language schools in Paris and they're both interested in employing me. The problem being only 20 hours a week is'nt going to earn me very much.
Hi, have to agree with the others re unemployment in France. If the language schools in Paris do offer you jobs, rentals in Paris and near suburbs are exhorbitant and a large proportion of your income would disappear into rent and transport. I may be wrong, but I believe most language schools employ free-lances, not salaried, which means that you'd have to set up a business structure, which wouldn't seem worth the hassle just for 3 months.
It might not be necessary to speak the country's language to teach adults, but IMO it's indispensable for children to understand the quirks of English grammar explained in their own language.
It might be worth considering Eire, the Netherlands or Scandinavian countries where English is widely spoken....
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What is the SS route?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What is the SS route?
The Surinder Singh route - Google it or do a forum search.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I believe most language schools employ free-lances
Since URSSAF made an example out of Acadomia and penalised them astroeuros for 'concealed employment', I think only very brave or very foolish language schools would risk that now. Acadomia, n°1 du « travail dissimulé » ? - Basta !

If we aren't married does living together for 7 years and having 2 children count as a "durable" relationship?
I believe that for a spouse/family visa you need to be married, and especially if you have children. The immigration authorities are not interested in how much you love each other, beyond checking that it is a genuine relationship and not a marriage of convenience. What they are interested in is seeing a legal bond that makes you financially responsible for your partner and child, so that you can't abandon them once you've brought them into the country. If you're married, then even if the relationship breaks down you can still be held legally responsible for them until the divorce is absolute, at which point the ex spouse's visa ends with the marriage and she must leave the country. If you're not married, what's to stop you starting a new relationship and leaving your spouse on the street. So a marriage certificate is needed to protect your unofficial dependents from being abandonned, and to protect the state from having lots of abandonned unofficial dependents dumped on it.

If you go about this intelligently and make sure you tick every box I'm sure this is achievable, but if you don't follow the rules to the letter (or figure) you will get knocked back. It's not about what you're prepared to put up with, it's about what's allowed and what's not allowed; you have to prove to the immigration authorities' satisfaction that you can support yourself and your family. No doubt each country will have drawbacks, but I suspect you will find France has more drawbacks than some. For a start you need to show you have somewhere appropriate to live so you need a legit rental contract; rent is not cheap in Paris and to get a rental you normally need to prove you have a secure job and that you earn at least three times the rent. 20 hours a week is unlikely to amount to 3 times the rent of a family apartment in Paris and you may find it hard to get a permanent contract (CDI), most are temporary (CDD). There is also a minimum earnings threshold that you have to prove, would you meet the threshold for a family of four? You can easily find out what the threshold is, how much accommodation for a family of 4 costs in Paris, and presumably you have been told what your salary would be, so you can work all this out.
Then do the same for other countries.
Then you'll have your answer.
Don't start the process until you have everything in place because applications are checked very very thoroughly.

PS "British by decent" - don't teach your students that, will you
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

PS "British by decent" - don't teach your students that, will you
My father taught me that to be British was to be decent.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

That's how good the autocorrect is on my phone, I type British and it comes up with decent.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

there are not many EFL jobs in France or Eastern Europe that would pay enough to support a family of four.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.