Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Special diets in hospitals and other medical institutions

Special diets in hospitals and other medical institutions

Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Special diets in hospitals and other medical institutions

OH has recently been in hospital and is now in reeducation. He's been on a salt-free diet for some time, no problem getting the hospital kitchens to comply. Similar diets (low-fat, low-sugar, etc..) are also catered for, provided the MT gives a prescription.
If you happen to be Moslem or Jewish, the kitchens "respect" your diet, but from observation, they simply don't serve pork. Halal and Kasher? "connais pas". The Moslem patient I observed had Halal food brought in by his family.
The problem is the same if you're vegetarian, which they certainly don't cater for, going from a thread on another forum which I sometimes browse through.
To all vegetarians out there - if you have family and friends who understand your needs and can provide for them, then all well and good. But if you live alone, like the OP of the above thread, you aren't going to get enough vegetable proteins just when you need strength to recover.
It's an ethical problem for vegetarians on their own....
I'm not vegetarian, but several of my distant family are, and it's given me food for thought (if you'll pardon the pun...) - accidents do happen and they'd be more or less in the same situation as the above OP (only friends on the spot, no family).
I don't intend to start a debate for and against vegetarianism, I just wanted to make vegetarians aware of what to expect if they suddenly find themselves in hospital....
Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special diets in hospitals and other medical institutions

Originally Posted by dmu
OH has recently been in hospital and is now in reeducation. He's been on a salt-free diet for some time, no problem getting the hospital kitchens to comply. Similar diets (low-fat, low-sugar, etc..) are also catered for, provided the MT gives a prescription.
If you happen to be Moslem or Jewish, the kitchens "respect" your diet, but from observation, they simply don't serve pork. Halal and Kasher? "connais pas". The Moslem patient I observed had Halal food brought in by his family.
The problem is the same if you're vegetarian, which they certainly don't cater for, going from a thread on another forum which I sometimes browse through.
To all vegetarians out there - if you have family and friends who understand your needs and can provide for them, then all well and good. But if you live alone, like the OP of the above thread, you aren't going to get enough vegetable proteins just when you need strength to recover.
It's an ethical problem for vegetarians on their own....
I'm not vegetarian, but several of my distant family are, and it's given me food for thought (if you'll pardon the pun...) - accidents do happen and they'd be more or less in the same situation as the above OP (only friends on the spot, no family).
I don't intend to start a debate for and against vegetarianism, I just wanted to make vegetarians aware of what to expect if they suddenly find themselves in hospital....
Sorry dmu
Which above post is that?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 12:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Sorry dmu
Which above post is that?
... "going from a thread on another forum"...
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I get why the hospital wouldn't provide a vegetarian option.

It's a lifestyle choice, not a medical one. Imagine if they tried to cope with all the different "lifestyle" choice diets?

Coping with religious needs is another matter of course and yes, they should provide kosher/halal etc. I would imagine that the laws concerning religious discrimination would cover that.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to medical institutions, let me start by saying that the food regularly served in many retirement nursing homes leaves a lot to be desired, even when the residents are paying well over 2k euros/month. So I can guess what the replies would be if a resident or a family member requested regular vegetarian dishes - not so much a shrug of the shoulders, more a finger gesture methinks!
A month ago Mme TP asked me to accompany her to the nursing home, where her mother has been for the last 3 years. She and her mother share the same birthday each year, and she had reserved the small guest room there for the 3 of us to lunch together. And on being told there was a special 'gastronomic' menu available for special occasions, she'd booked that for three.
Minutes after arrival, the table was laid with a jug of water, a small dish of sliced bread, and a small carafe of red wine (we'd been given the choice of rosé or red).
First course was a bowl of alphabet soup. Well - I say soup, but in actual fact it was a misty dishwater-colour which made me think immediately of Oliver Twist. But of this, he would not have asked for more.......
Next up had been temptingly described as magret de canard aux pommes de terre sautées. The fried potatoes were fairly tasty, but not so the duck, which was the most disappointing I'd ever tasted; either that duck had been drawing an old-age pension, or it had been cooked well past the bien-cuit stage - or probably both. Needless to say the duck was left practically untouched on all three plates.
I had no intention of making a fuss or spoiling the occasion, but I did say discretely to the young serving girl, to tell the 'chef' that the duck was a calamity. Seriously, if overcooked meat like that is regularly served to inmates, their dining room must be a dangerous no-go zone with flying denture fragments, plus the establishment may even be in hoots with the local dentist.
The cheese plate was ok, but the most pleasing was the dessert. Apple tart with custard - which Oliver Twist would have died for! Oh, and the wine was just a tad nicer than the Eludril that I use 3 times a week as a mouthwash - same colour too.
When we'd finished, the 'chef' popped his head around the door with a rapid, "Ca va?" I'd like to think that my unaswered reply spoke volumes.

Once back home Mme asked me what I thought of it. Not wishing to spoil her day and saying "Terrible", I just bit my tongue and modestly answered, "I wasn't impressed". She answered, "I agree", then in typical Gallic fashion with a shrug of the shoulders added, "But what d'you expect for 18 euros?"
Next year I'll push my luck, and request a vegan special.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 22nd 2017 at 9:52 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
With regards to medical institutions, let me start by saying that the food regularly served in many retirement nursing homes leaves a lot to be desired, even when the residents are paying well over 2k euros/month. So I can guess what the replies would be if a resident or a family member requested regular vegetarian dishes - not so much a shrug of the shoulders, more a finger gesture methinks!
A month ago Mme TP asked me to accompany her to the nursing home, where her mother has been for the last 3 years. She and her mother share the same birthday each year, and she had reserved the small guest room there for the 3 of us to lunch together. And on being told there was a special 'gastronomic' menu available for special occasions, she'd booked that for three.
Minutes after arrival, the table was laid with a jug of water, a small dish of sliced bread, and a small carafe of red wine (we'd been given the choice of rosé or red).
First course was a bowl of alphabet soup. Well - I say soup, but in actual fact it was a misty dishwater-colour which made me think immediately of Oliver Twist. But of this, he would not have asked for more.......
Next up had been temptingly described as magret de canard aux pommes de terre sautées. The fried potatoes were fairly tasty, but not so the duck, which was the most disappointing I'd ever tasted; either that duck had been drawing an old-age pension, or it had been cooked well past the bien-cuit stage - or probably both. Needless to say the duck was left practically untouched on all three plates.
I had no intention of making a fuss or spoiling the occasion, but I did say discretely to the young serving girl, to tell the 'chef' that the duck was a calamity. Seriously, if overcooked meat like that is regularly served to inmates, their dining room must be a dangerous no-go zone with flying denture fragments, plus the establishment may even be in hoots with the local dentist.
The cheese plate was ok, but the most pleasing was the dessert. Apple tart with custard - which Oliver Twist would have died for! Oh, and the wine was just a tad nicer than the Eludril that I use 3 times a week as a mouthwash - same colour too.
When we'd finished, the 'chef' popped his head around the door with a rapid, "Ca va?" I'd like to think that my unaswered reply spoke volumes.

Once back home Mme asked me what I thought of it. Not wishing to spoil her day and saying "Terrible", I just bit my tongue and modestly answered, "I wasn't impressed". She answered, "I agree", then in typical Gallic fashion with a shrug of the shoulders added, "But what d'you expect for 18 euros?"

Brilliant. What a wonderful picture you have painted.
The price is no excuse. It is still possible to find perfectly good food at a modest price in France.
I suppose that the Chateau Eludril pushed the price up.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 11:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cyrian

Brilliant. What a wonderful picture you have painted.
The price is no excuse. It is still possible to find perfectly good food at a modest price in France.
I suppose that the Chateau Eludril pushed the price up.
+1 , I had to laugh....
I sometimes sup with OH, the same as every one else (2 courses + a dairy dessert and fresh fruit) for 13€. Overall not bad for the price, except when Raviolis were served once, straight from a Buitoni tin! Unfortunately it's always pot luck, as they don't display the menus in advance...
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 2:41 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

Send the soup back with a message to the chef.....

Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

school lunches...

when we first arrived in france, the lunch was cooked at the school and it was great. The kids loved it. Then it got moved to a central kitchen and quality deteriorated over the years. Looking at the menus though, it read like an amazing restaurant meal. The kids informed me that sometimes it was inedible, and my kids will eat almost anything.

My son needed a gluten free meal after a diagnosis of celiac disease. We were informed that it would not be possible to provide him with a meal which would meet the necessary criteria but that if we provided a meal then he could stay at school for the lunch break and we would not be charged!! They gave me the nutrient guidelines that the meal had to conform to ( as if their's did!). In the end, my son's friends were jealous because his food was much nicer than theirs.