Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

SOLD MY PROPERTY-NOT RECIEVED MONEY YET

SOLD MY PROPERTY-NOT RECIEVED MONEY YET

Old May 4th 2012, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

plumbber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOLD MY PROPERTY-NOT RECIEVED MONEY YET

I sold my property in france 2 weeks ago and my bank in spain has not recieved my money yet, can anyone tell me if it takes 10 working days for a transfer in france now, thank you
Old May 4th 2012, 8:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOLD MY PROPERTY-NOT RECIEVED MONEY YET

Originally Posted by plumbber
I sold my property in france 2 weeks ago and my bank in spain has not recieved my money yet, can anyone tell me if it takes 10 working days for a transfer in france now, thank you
Hi, if you only signed the Acte de Vente two weeks ago, then I'd say it's normal. It takes a long time for the French Notaire to go through the legal steps to complete the sale after signature, but some one who's been through this recently will be able to give you definite info about when the money can be expected to arrive.
Old May 4th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I can only really speak from my single experience of buying where on the day of the signing of the acte de vente my seller was handed a cheque for the full amount by the Notaire so judging by that, and in principal at least, for a straight forward sale of a principal residence by a French resident there is no reason for any delay whatsoever.

In the case of the sale of a maison secondaire by a non resident, which sounds to be the case here, before releasing the funds the Notaire has some checks to make such as CGT liability, tax due to possible undeclared works or improvements etc. etc. which obviously will take time.

If you are having the proceeds transferred electronically then clearly further opportunities for delays arise.
Old May 4th 2012, 7:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Every house we have sold here we have left with a check or had a same day bank transfer. Over the years here I have noticed some Notaire's will take the pee with this and hold the cash for some time, It has cropped up here before.

Can't say I know of any international transfer that would take that long. For example a few months ago we transferred a sizeable sum from Credit Agricole to the UK one morning, It was in the UK account by the afternoon and still available for withdrawal in France "Go figure"
Old May 5th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Our notaire tired to hold on to the cash from the sale of our house quite a while; to the extent it almost stopped the purchase of the next one... as you say some will take the proverbial...