Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Social security/healthcare.

Social security/healthcare.

Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

loire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant future
Default Social security/healthcare.

Hi,

I’m due to return to the UK in a just over a month or so after working in France full time for three years. I’ve just been warned by a colleague that unless I sign on as unemployed I won’t be covered by the ‘sécurité sociale’ once my contract finishes. I’m only intending to stay 10 days after this just to pack up my belongings and move back to the UK, (not long enough to sign on for?), so what should I do about emergency health care? I seem to be rather accident prone at the moment else I probably wouldn’t have given it a thought! Will an E111 cover me as I’ve a date set to leave? I do have a mutuelle insurance but this is only a ‘top up’?

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks in advance.
x
Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Default Re: Social security/healthcare.

When you leave work in France you will still be entitled to healthcare for a long time, just check on your "attestation carte vitale" there is an end date or just contact your local securité sociale they will tell you exactly, that applies wether or not you sign on as unemployed or not
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

lythwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Priscilia
You seem to be au fait with the social security and health care .
Can you help me or advise .
I am a uk subject and my wife south african - is she eligible to reside with me in France and is citizenship automatic after 180 days residence .How long would it take to obtain a French passport once citizenship is established .

Also, as we are retired ,would we be eligible fro social security and health care
Regards
Tony
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Hi Tony,

You give me far too much credit, but if I can help no problem.
I don't see any problems with your wife staying in France if you are married and you are a uk citizen, as for citizenship I don't know to be honest but I can ask a friend of mine who just obtained french citizenship, I'll have to get back to you.
For health cover, theoreticaly if you are entitled to a cover in the UK it should be the same all over europe but I will ask for you next week if you want.
I'll be in touch
Priscilia
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

lythwood is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Priscilia ,
We have never lived in England but I have a British passport ,living in ireland we are not eligible for any benefits,social or health. I did hear that after 180 days in France one automatically becomes a citizen and I was wondering if that entitled my wife to a passport
THANKS
Tony
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

loire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant futureloire has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by priscilia
When you leave work in France you will still be entitled to healthcare for a long time, just check on your "attestation carte vitale" there is an end date or just contact your local securité sociale they will tell you exactly, that applies wether or not you sign on as unemployed or not
Thanks priscilia, I've called them and I seem to be covered for two years or so.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no way you just become a citizen after 6 months. Even if you marry a French national I believe it is 1 year or maybe now 2 years. If not married to a French national I'm guessing between 3 to 5 years to naturalise. I believe it may involve a lot of paperwork (even things like your parents' birth certificates)! and you have to be able to speak good French. There is a test on the French I believe.