Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Single mother moving to France with British & Canadian Citizenship

Single mother moving to France with British & Canadian Citizenship

Old Dec 15th 2017, 3:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single mother moving to France with British & Canadian Citizenship

Originally Posted by AmberSN
Hi,

I don't think so, hopefully I'm not wrong.
I should be able to bring a child under 21 who is not Europeen, I have scheduled an appointment with the French consulate so I will make sure to check. Thanks!

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2653
Old Dec 16th 2017, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Caerus is an unknown quantity at this point

I can’t help with most of your questions but you can exchange your Canadian drivers license for a French one depending on which province issued it. Ontario licenses can be exchanged.

See the link below:
Assistance to Canadians - Drivers with Alberta, Manitoba, New-Brunswick, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Quebec Licences
Old Dec 17th 2017, 1:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

** I have British Citizenship through double decent so unfortunately I cannot pass it down to my daughter.**
Double descent is a thing, but I suspect that you mean that both of your parents are UK citizens born in the UK but that you were born abroad?

Was this in France and if so, when?

Was by any chance either one of your parents in Crown Service at the time of your birth?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

AmberSN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Double descent is a thing, but I suspect that you mean that both of your parents are UK citizens born in the UK but that you were born abroad?

Was this in France and if so, when?

Was by any chance either one of your parents in Crown Service at the time of your birth?

Yes, my father is British and I am Zimbabween. I got citizenship through him. I have already looked into double decent and sadly we do not qualify.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 2:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my father is British and I am Zimbabween. I got citizenship through him. I have already looked into double decent and sadly we do not qualify.
So am I to assume that your father was not in Crown Service in Zimbabwe when you were born?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Hello Amber, welcome to the forum

I can't answer all your questions but here are a few comments for you to consider.

If you use your British passport to take advantage of EU freedom of movement, which you can do pre-Brexit, you don't need a visa, but you need to clarify what your status will be and meet the appropriate criteria. Presumably you're nowhere near retirement age, so if you're not a worker then your status will be inactif. In order to exercise treaty rights as an inactif you just need sufficient income to ensure you won't become a burden on the state. For an adult with one child the monthly figure you need is 933,94€. As long as you can prove you have that level of income, you have the right to live here and you and your daughter will be eligible to join the national healthcare system, with annual contributions to pay based on your income.

Finding a nice place to rent if you're not working can be difficult. Normally landlords prefer people who are employed on a permanent contract in France, and tenants are required to have a salary of at least 3 times the rent. Nice is quite expensive.

No idea what paperwork you will need for your little one, although I suspect that if the father lives in Canada you probably need his formal consent to bring the child to France. Kids normally go to the local school, you need to ask at the mairie once you know where you're going to live and they'll give you all the info you need.

Persevere with the French government websites, they're the best place to get info and they cover most things, but by all means come back to the forum if you need help finding or understanding anything specific.

As regards Brexit -
Hi,

I was wondering if you know more about the consent letter needed? My child's father has verbally approved of our move and I am trying to find more information about the specific consent letter. Does the letter need to be done by someone specific or be notarized? We have a mediation agreement that states that I do not need his permission to travel but its not a proper court document or anything.

Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

PS: I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before. I'm having trouble navigating this website. Is their a "search" button anywhere for the discussion forums?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, that was very helpful!
I'm not sure what I will be doing for work yet, I'm hoping to find a bilingual job. I do have a few friends who already work/live in Nice who might be able to hire me within their family business.
I'm not looking to live in Nice but a small village or town nearby. I miss the village life but after living in Toronto a town not too far is ideal.
I was in Nice and surrounding area a year ago. The inland villages are beautiful. Any idea which ones you're interested in. Menton? Saorge? Breil-sur-Roya? Grasse? Castellane? Tende? are all ones I went to that were nice. Cannes is nice but rather expensive I would think.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I was in Nice and surrounding area a year ago. The inland villages are beautiful. Any idea which ones you're interested in. Menton? Saorge? Breil-sur-Roya? Grasse? Castellane? Tende? are all ones I went to that were nice. Cannes is nice but rather expensive I would think.
Hi !

I am not too sure yet. I will be able to get a better fell once I am there. Do you live in France?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I was wondering if you know more about the consent letter needed? My child's father has verbally approved of our move and I am trying to find more information about the specific consent letter. Does the letter need to be done by someone specific or be notarized? We have a mediation agreement that states that I do not need his permission to travel but its not a proper court document or anything.

Thanks
See post #10.

France will accept a letter issued by the local Maire or notarised.

There was a case recently where the mother's surname was different from the child's and the airline refused to accept them even although the father was present at the airport and gave his approval.
HTH
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
See post #10.

France will accept a letter issued by the local Maire or notarised.

There was a case recently where the mother's surname was different from the child's and the airline refused to accept them even although the father was present at the airport and gave his approval.
HTH
Wow... what a mess.
My daughter has my last name so we have only been asked once for a consent letter. I've taken her to France and nobody asked me anything
Old Dec 18th 2017, 9:03 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... what a mess.
My daughter has my last name so we have only been asked once for a consent letter. I've taken her to France and nobody asked me anything
Maybe because you had return tickets? This time you'll presumably have one-way tickets for you both...
If your local City Hall doesn't issue the document, like a French Mairie would, then enquire at the French Consulate or the Court which handled your divorce.
You could also ask in the Moving Back to the UK forum. There must be BE members in the same situation who can advise about obtaining the letter of consent in Canada.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Hi !

I am not too sure yet. I will be able to get a better fell once I am there. Do you live in France?
No but have relatives in the Paris area and our daughter went for a year of university in Nice from September 2016 - May 2017 so we visited the Nice area this time last year. Very nice place to visit, probably different to live. The fact that you can speak french fluently (I assume due to the age that you lived there in the past) will be a bonus.

I live in Canada.

People in the Cote D'azur are not very hardy with temps below about 10 c.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 5:39 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
No but have relatives in the Paris area and our daughter went for a year of university in Nice from September 2016 - May 2017 so we visited the Nice area this time last year. Very nice place to visit, probably different to live. The fact that you can speak french fluently (I assume due to the age that you lived there in the past) will be a bonus.

I live in Canada.

People in the Cote D'azur are not very hardy with temps below about 10 c.
Everywhere in France is completely different in the winter months and it tends to be the most under looked aspect of living here, people visit in the spring and summer months buy a house and realise winter months just seem to lack tumble weed.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Everywhere in France is completely different in the winter months and it tends to be the most under looked aspect of living here, people visit in the spring and summer months buy a house and realise winter months just seem to lack tumble weed.
Well said. Unless you are a skier then most places look better in the spring/summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.