Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Septic Tank Knowledge!!!!

Septic Tank Knowledge!!!!

Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Mandelain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Septic Tank Knowledge!!!!

Just received the info from the Notaire relating to the house in the Aude that we are hoping to buy. We were a bit surprised to discover that the sewage system (septic tank) installed at the property has failed the inspection and if we purchase the property we will have to have a new septic tank installed within 12 months. We've also been advised that due to the huge number of properties in France with no modern septic tank, the current legislation is not being enforced.

So, we have two conflicting opinions; one of which might cost us 10,000 Eur, the other nothing. Obviously we prefer the latter option. What do you all think?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Septic Tank Knowledge!!!!

Originally Posted by Mandelain
Just received the info from the Notaire relating to the house in the Aude that we are hoping to buy. We were a bit surprised to discover that the sewage system (septic tank) installed at the property has failed the inspection and if we purchase the property we will have to have a new septic tank installed within 12 months. We've also been advised that due to the huge number of properties in France with no modern septic tank, the current legislation is not being enforced.

So, we have two conflicting opinions; one of which might cost us 10,000 Eur, the other nothing. Obviously we prefer the latter option. What do you all think?

Negotiate with the seller, 10,000€ sounds expensive.
On the 0€ option, you may have an inspection, I have had one on a fairly new property.

One day you may sell.

Both will require you to fork out for the installation I would think.

Last edited by audio; Jan 10th 2017 at 8:53 pm. Reason: added info
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandelain

My late UK's neighbour's house is in the process of being sold - her septic tank failed the inspection and the purchasers offered to install a new one, provided the heirs agreed to reduce the selling price by 10,000€ (official estimate). They agreed, and the Notaire included a clause in the Promesse d'Achat to that effect.
I would negotiate the price with the Vendors if you're expected to get a new tank installed. Whatever the current legislation is, I certainly wouldn't want to live in a house with a fosse septique non-conforme!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy the house as is you will be required to replace your septic tank and it will be expensive.
If you find your septic tank actually works well then decide not to change it you will be subject to a penalty of zero Euros plus an annual letter inviting you to pay for a septic tank inspection which will again require you to fork out money.
None of my French neighbours have paid up.
It's up to you.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Mandelain is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure if I'm replying to an individual or just adding to the thread. Cardi and Audio, your information and local knowledge gave me food for thought. I'm not sure if an expat would be afforded the same leniency as a local AND it does affect the selling of the house at a later date. dmu - thanks for the specifics of how this issue can be resolved. I've emailed the estate agent, so now I'm just waiting to see if we can come up with a similar arrangement. Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question.

Last edited by Mandelain; Jan 11th 2017 at 9:25 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not every house in France has a septic tank.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:20 pm
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point

Regulations in France are changing all the time and even if the said septic tank isn't up to the present ones it's probably working OK so no hurry to replace.
Having purchased six properties ove 30 years here I've come across this a lot,here my last house purchased five years ago I was told it needed changing within a year, not done yet as can't at moment pay on my pension the 5000 asking price, still works OK though
to me 10000 is a rip-off.definitely get a reduced price for the property. I did.

Last edited by Cad; Jan 18th 2017 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not every house in France has a septic tank.
This house currently has a septic toe. Does that count?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
This house currently has a septic toe. Does that count?
Well you'll still have to foot the bill if you want to get it sorted
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well you'll still have to foot the bill if you want to get it sorted
.... and toe the line....
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
.... and toe the line....
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Why are you waving that toe-rag?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:33 pm
The Grocer

TheGrocer is an unknown quantity at this point

10,000 seems extremely expensive. I was quoted 6000 euro to replace a 3000l tank with a 5000l one. (on average I think the requirements are 1000l for each bedroom. Irrespective of how many people live in the house.

I gave the seller an option, do the work or reduce the price (he reduced the price)

Yes 1 year to sort out, that was 2 years ago, I have heard nothing but have been told just explain yo can't afford to do it quite yet.
As for having to do it, as you will have to when you sell....well the laws change that often even the new one could be illegal by them
Old Jan 21st 2017, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheGrocer
I gave the seller an option, do the work or reduce the price (he reduced the price)

.... I have been told just explain yo can't afford to do it quite yet.
Doesn't compute. If the seller reduced the price, the difference between the full price and the price you paid should have paid for the job
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I believe although you have to commit to replace the septic tank, most wait until the next inspection (which is usually ten years later) to actually do so. Some delay even then. Certainly our (English)Neighbours have waited a total of 15 years.
Several of our French neighbours have none at all. Walking in the woods can be a hazardous business here at the best of times.
NB they do not only inspect the septic tank, they check your rainwater drainage etc as well. If you have no gutters, that seemingly complies. If you do have gutters, they must drain through a completely separate system to the Septic tank, (into a soakaway will do) even if they only join at the point where the treated surplus water is spread though the garden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.