Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Schools in Toulouse

Schools in Toulouse

Old Nov 17th 2016, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

StephieB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Toulouse

Thanks again for all your advice so far.. I have just booked to come over next Friday to try and go to the Mairie and see whats what! They did give us one school in our area that he may be eligible for and I have heard about Paul Bert a few times however as this isn't in our area would he be able to go?

Fawlty Towers, Ab Fab and Only Fools and Horses are all great
Old Nov 17th 2016, 2:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieB
Thanks again for all your advice so far.. I have just booked to come over next Friday to try and go to the Mairie and see whats what! They did give us one school in our area that he may be eligible for and I have heard about Paul Bert a few times however as this isn't in our area would he be able to go?

Fawlty Towers, Ab Fab and Only Fools and Horses are all great
Contact the secretary of english31.

Look at english 31 then. Their primary school is LucieAubrac which is the one in Sept Deniers. Even if you are out of area for this, then if they accept your son you will get an approval for a "derogation". I'd contact the secretary and ask for advice on how to do this. There is a fee for english31 but it's not enormous and well worth it.
English 31 | Bilingual Education

Even if he can't get accepted into english31 (it might be full) try for the wednesday sessions and put him into a local school.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 2:29 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
are you married or pacs?

You may need something to prove your address in France and if they are being a pain, then they may want it in your name if you aren't married or legally an umarried partner (pacs).
I am very surprised that they've asked for your address in the UK but this may be their way of dealing with you not having proof of address in France? They want to know that you are a legal citizen of the EU maybe?

One thing to realise about french bureaucracy is that it is never, ever straight forward. Just provide the mairie with what they ask for, do not question it and ONLY GIVE THE INFORMATION THEY ASK FOR! Do not volunteer anything extra.

If the proof of address from the UK is not what they need in the end to tick their little boxes, then ask them what they do want. Then provide that. Don't be surprised if you need several visits. You'll get there, just be patient and polite.
I mentioned getting her name on utility bills and/or rental receipts in #2! And not just for enrolling at school, but for everything, from Social Security to opening a bank account....
I hesitated to ask outright whether they are "legally bound" - it doesn't sound like it if the partner's justification of domicile isn't sufficient....
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I mentioned getting her name on utility bills and/or rental receipts in #2! And not just for enrolling at school, but for everything, from Social Security to opening a bank account....
I hesitated to ask outright whether they are "legally bound" - it doesn't sound like it if the partner's justification of domicile isn't sufficient....
looking at
L'inscription à l'école élémentaire - Académie de Toulouse

the OP is going to have to provide documents to take the place of livret de famille.
Birth certificates of child and both parents - to prove relationship to child. NB abbreviated birth certificate of the child will not be accepted unless it has both parents details on it. I know the scottish one I had for my daughter did not have this information so ensure that you have full birth certificate.

ID documents for child and parents. Passports will be fine.
Vaccination certificates or proof of vaccinations from the doctor. Note, you will probably need them in french. if the mairie are being awkward you may be asked for certified translations ( are they allowed to do this??) This is the french version of the vaccination calendar - it would be a good exercise for the OP to get a list from their GP of the vaccinations given to their son and to work out that he has had everything and putting it into a similar format with dates. http://inpes.santepubliquefrance.fr/...e/pdf/1175.pdf

Once again, have everything ready as much as you can but ONLY GIVE EXACTLY WHAT THEY ASK FOR.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Petitefrancaise I didn't see your message.. No we are not married.

I have just had a look at the english31 which looks good so I will give them a call thank you
My partner is going to try and get my name on the lease too, if his little french can get him through haha.

I will look at getting the proof of vaccinations sorted too thank you
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:30 pm
Austin. TX.

If getting you on the lease is tricky then you will need something with your name and address - a bank account statement.
If you have an address already, then change your address with your current UK bank to the french address and have them print out a statement at a branch if possible. This shows a recent bank statement with french address on it..... they can be picky about online print outs.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

I'm hoping the lease shouldn't be too difficult but great idea with the bank thank you.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
looking at
L'inscription � l'école élémentaire - Académie de Toulouse

the OP is going to have to provide documents to take the place of livret de famille.
Birth certificates of child and both parents - to prove relationship to child. NB abbreviated birth certificate of the child will not be accepted unless it has both parents details on it. I know the scottish one I had for my daughter did not have this information so ensure that you have full birth certificate.

ID documents for child and parents. Passports will be fine.
Vaccination certificates or proof of vaccinations from the doctor. Note, you will probably need them in french. if the mairie are being awkward you may be asked for certified translations ( are they allowed to do this??) This is the french version of the vaccination calendar - it would be a good exercise for the OP to get a list from their GP of the vaccinations given to their son and to work out that he has had everything and putting it into a similar format with dates. http://inpes.santepubliquefrance.fr/...e/pdf/1175.pdf

Once again, have everything ready as much as you can but ONLY GIVE EXACTLY WHAT THEY ASK FOR.
Good info!
I checked on the Académie de Montpellier site and found that just one of the persons legally responsible for the child can provide the justificatif de domicile.
But in the present case, if the OP's partner isn't her child's father or otherwise "legally responsible", his rent receipts/utility bills won't be acceptable. In which case the OP must absolutely get her name on one of the documents, as an Attestation d'Hébergement (accommodation) by a "third party", i.e. him, isn't acceptable for enrolment at school. In any case it'll be necessary for all the Administrations, bank, etc.... This should be done ASAP, as the receipts/bills must go back 3 months (at least for enrolling in Montpellier).
Still on the subject of schooling, for children changing schools within France, an "exeat", aka a Certificat de Radiation, must be issued by the former school before the new school will accept them. Maybe this is what the OP's Mairie is asking for from the UK (thinking that UK Town Halls deal with UK primary schools)?
So sorry about all this bureaucracy, but fore-warned is fore-armed!
P.S. it's none of our business of course, but the OP should be aware that AFAIK, if her partner isn't the child's father, she should get permission from the biological father to take their child out of the UK.