Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

SCHOOLING IN FRANCE

SCHOOLING IN FRANCE

Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Dave Ozzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SCHOOLING IN FRANCE

Hi , Is there anyone on here who may have sent their child to any of the schools in Mortain ,Normandy? or any of the neighbouring areas?
I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old . And to be honest im worried about how they will get on at school although im always told they will be fine . my three year old talks English and the thought of leaving her with a class full of kids that she cant communicate with scares me.
Are the schools good ?are they better than the uk?
Regards
Dave
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SCHOOLING IN FRANCE

Originally Posted by Dave Ozzie
Hi , Is there anyone on here who may have sent their child to any of the schools in Mortain ,Normandy? or any of the neighbouring areas?
I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old . And to be honest im worried about how they will get on at school although im always told they will be fine . my three year old talks English and
the thought of leaving her with a class full of kids that she cant communicate with scares me.
Are the schools good ?are they better than the uk?
Regards
Dave
Interesting comment, but although the thought scares you, I'd bet that it won't worry your 3 year old in the slightest - unless of course she sees or senses that you have a problem! Make a game of it many months before the move, tell all the positive aspects and how rewarding it will be - this tactic rarely fails.
Our son attended 5 schools in 3 different (non-English speaking) countries between the age of 2 and 5 years old. Never had a problem, and now at 30+ he looks back on these as marvelous childhood experiences.
Good luck, it will work if you want it to!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Dave Ozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Its important also that not only will they speak and write in French but to speak and write in English is so important for them also. and that also was my concern .English is the world wide business language,
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

hi there

They will be fine in their new french school!

To keep up the English read to them at home in English; watch uk tv and if necessary when they are older teach them a little of how to write at a high level in English

Good luck
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave Ozzie
Its important also that not only will they speak and write in French but to speak and write in English is so important for them also. and that also was my concern .English is the world wide business language,
When my sons were 4 and 2, we moved to Germany. None of us spoke more than a word or two of the language.

Kids at that age are extremely well adapted to language acquisition and have no difficulty in dealing with multiple codes. Lucky bastards.

You should have absolutely no concerns over their taking to both languages comme les canards dans l'eau.

Edit: My half-french wife says it should be "comme les grenouilles dans l'eau" but I'm not sure if she's taking the piss.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 31st 2012 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:01 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
When my sons were 4 and 2, we moved to Germany. None of us spoke more than a word or two of the language.

Kids at that age are extremely well adapted to language acquisition and have no difficulty in dealing with multiple codes. Lucky bastards.

You should have absolutely no concerns over their taking to both languages comme les canards dans l'eau.

Edit: My half-french wife says it should be "comme les grenouilles dans l'eau" but I'm not sure if she's taking the piss.
You have "Water off a duck's back" which is the normal metaphor the only Frog one I know is about boiling one alive if you chuck em in hot they jump out, But boil them from cold and they fail to notice. So you are probably right she is taking the piss
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
You have "Water off a duck's back" which is the normal metaphor the only Frog one I know is about boiling one alive if you chuck em in hot they jump out, But boil them from cold and they fail to notice. So you are probably right she is taking the piss
Jolly good, but I was aiming for "take to it like a duck to water". <She often takes the piss, but I'll show her>.

And the boiling frog thing is of course an anecdote (however true), not a metaphor.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 6:30 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Jolly good, but I was aiming for "take to it like a duck to water". <She often takes the piss, but I'll show her>.

And the boiling frog thing is of course an anecdote (however true), not a metaphor.
After half a crate of Heineken everything is a metaphor
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:04 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids are young, and children of that age don't get 'trapped' by the constraints of grammar and language in the way that adults do - they communicate! Friends of ours were German/Lebanese with a French nannie but mostly English speaking friends and the child grew and thrived in a linguistic soup for many years till they moved. Our son was born in France, but we are both English speakers at home. He was quiet for a long time when he started school but gradually started to speak more and more. I asked the teacher what songs etc they were doing and we practised them at home (the libraries are full of help and song tapes). The maternelle and early Primary years at school here were a fun and positive learning experience for all our family. Don't worry about the English....you will speak it at home, yes my kid watched Cbeebies, it's enough. You automatically correct your kid's bad grammar it is second nature, once one alphabet is mastered it's not a great leap to master the other. Thank's to the diversity of Britain the bookshops are crammed with books to help kids to master English, and the BBC websites. Relax, and enjoy with your kids...they are young enough to cope.

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 1st 2012 at 7:09 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

"Comme un poisson dans l'eau" is the expression
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 11:59 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
"Comme un poisson dans l'eau" is the expression
Merci. I'll drop that into a sentence this evening. That'll show her.