Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Safe transactions on Le boncoin

Safe transactions on Le boncoin

Old Nov 3rd 2016, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Safe transactions on Le boncoin

We have sold quite a few odds and ends on Le boncoin of late but are now selling something that is 1200 euros. What is the safest way of receiving payment for an item? Normally we use Paypal but some are not happy with Payapl due charges or not even having a PP acount. I am very unsure about accepting a cheque or cash as whilst the rules in France are more strict with cheques bouncing I am still unsure with such a large amount. Is bank transfer best and what is this in french?
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safe transactions on Le boncoin

Prior to Sept 2015, the max permitted for cash payments by residents in France was 3000euros, which has since been reduced to 1000euros.
I use LBC quite frequently, am very vigilant, and so far have had no problems. I tend to buy more than I sell, (just LOVE a bargain), and items that interest me rarely exceed 300euros.
To date I've never used Paypal. Was tempted to open an account a month or so ago for something I really wanted (seller would only accept Paypal), but didn't like what I read in the 'confidential!' terms of agreement, so declined.
When selling I much prefer to advertise that a local sale is preferred, deal with the buyer face to face, ensure they are totally satisfied with their purchase, and take the cash.
I have suggested a few times to non-local sellers that I would prefer to pay either by bankers cheque - with the article dispatched after safe arrival/confirmation of cheque in their account, or bankers draft direct to their account, in which case they have to supply their RIB. The latter would be my favourite choice if I'm selling to somebody remotely.
I should note, that whenever dealing with someone remotely, if they agree to the method of payment, I ALWAYS ask their telephone number and have at least one (preferably several) calls with them in order to get a 'feel' if the person sounds genuine. This is no guarantee of course, but it adds for a little more peace-of-mind. One I have their address, prior to sending any cheque I always check on Google street map to get a 'feeling' for exactly where it's heading.
If for example it was a high-rise in a Sarcelle suburb of Paris, Mirail-Toulouse or similar, I would proceed with extreme caution.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Nov 3rd 2016 at 9:37 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think bank transfer or paypal may be the way to go. I have read that there are rogue transactions going on with bankers cheques too so would have to ensure the cheque was cashed before collection of item. Bottom line it all coms down to trust.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:21 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbi2
I think bank transfer or paypal may be the way to go. I have read that there are rogue transactions going on with bankers cheques too so would have to ensure the cheque was cashed before collection of item. Bottom line it all coms down to trust.
Paypal is heavily geared to buyer protection not the seller. Now I dont know how safe cheques are here but as of late lot's of businesses have signs up saying chèques non acceptés.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbi2
I think bank transfer or paypal may be the way to go.
Bank transfer = virement bancaire
You'd have to give the buyer your RIB for this and, as said, wait until the money is in your account before you dispatch the article.
Not everyone has a PayPal account, even those who are used to buying on LBC and the like.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Bank transfer = virement bancaire
You'd have to give the buyer your RIB for this and, as said, wait until the money is in your account before you dispatch the article.
Not everyone has a PayPal account, even those who are used to buying on LBC and the like.
That's true.
Some time back, I saw an article on LBC that I'd been hunting for, for years - a very scare vintage Macintosh, as I repair & collect them. The seller confirmed it was still available but would only accept Paypal. I contacted him several times to consider accepting a virement bancaire saying it would work out cheaper for him compared to Paypal, but he refused. I even proposed a marginally higher price to the fixed one that was on offer. Again he refused. And I was fairly gutted.
That turned out to be a blessing in disguise! 18 months later I saw the same model Mac, only considerably cheaper and fully serviceable. I was the first person to contact him, and he readily accepted a cheque. Result - two very satisfied LBC users!