safe gardening

Old Jul 18th 2014, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

gersfrance32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default safe gardening

Is there such a thing as an electrical cut out plug in france so I can use my electrical garden equipment safely.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: safe gardening

Now I could be totally wrong here but I seem to recall somebody once trying to explain to me that the French wiring system has more inbuilt safety than the UK system because it's designed to automatically trip out. (I was working on a UK-run campsite and the guests were complaining that the electrics kept tripping so I was sent to complain at the mairie, however the mairie was adamant that if they kept tripping everything was working correctly and they were doing what they were designed to do, it was the guests' fault for overloading them.) If what he was saying was right, and I understood correctly, you shouldn't need any additional protection. The cut out devices you get in the UK give the same protection that is already there in France.
But I'm not going to test the theory.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:37 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gersfrance32
Is there such a thing as an electrical cut out plug in france so I can use my electrical garden equipment safely.
Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Now I could be totally wrong here but I seem to recall somebody once trying to explain to me that the French wiring system has more inbuilt safety than the UK system because it's designed to automatically trip out. (I was working on a UK-run campsite and the guests were complaining that the electrics kept tripping so I was sent to complain at the mairie, however the mairie was adamant that if they kept tripping everything was working correctly and they were doing what they were designed to do, it was the guests' fault for overloading them.) If what he was saying was right, and I understood correctly, you shouldn't need any additional protection. The cut out devices you get in the UK give the same protection that is already there in France.
But I'm not going to test the theory.
Assuming the house is wired to completely modern French specifications then you shouldn't need them but lots of the houses here have not been brought up to sensible standards yet.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

bobj1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to look at your consumer unit/fusebox to see if it contains an RCD. It will be double the size of your circuit breakers if your box uses these, and have a small test button, for regular testing to check it's working. The RCD would supply the sockets at the very least if the board is fairly modern, in which case you don't need any further protection. Drop me a PM if you're uncertain, and I could look at a digital photo if you have the means to send one.

I work in the industry.

Regards
Bob J