Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Erroneous/Incorrect Securite Sociale/Social Sec Number - France - Lost Contributions?

Erroneous/Incorrect Securite Sociale/Social Sec Number - France - Lost Contributions?

Old Dec 24th 2017, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

kossoff77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Erroneous/Incorrect Securite Sociale/Social Sec Number - France - Lost Contributions?

Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum and I'm not really sure how to post in the right place but here goes...

Basically I've lived in France since 2008 and was issued a social security number by my first employer, it's remained the same number ever since...however a couple of months ago I learned from my CURRENT employer (joined the company in 2013) that the number is invalid, and that I can't use it in any way, least of all to get a carte vitale.

I contacted the CPAM and they told me it looks like a "fake" number, it's actually all correct except for "999" where the "No d'ordre INSEE" should be, very peculiar.

I went to CPAM on 13th october to request a "real" number and have heard nothing yet, and so am unable to visit the doctor, dentist etc. but my real concern is that 9 years' worth of medical and retirement contributions have now been "lost" or disappeared into the ether, so I basically pay my SS contributions for no reason...I may be wrong but I'm a little worried about this now, so if anyone has any info or has experienced a similar situation, I'd be interested to hear from you!

Any info appreciated, and Merry Christmas!

: )
Old Dec 24th 2017, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Erroneous/Incorrect Securite Sociale/Social Sec Number - France - Lost Contributi

You need to sort this out with CPAM. There has to be a solution but it's up to them to find it, they may have to dig around in their computer and if you've kept all your payslips (which of course you have, haven't you) then you can keep insisting that they do. DON'T let go of the original payslips, give them as many copies as they want but keep tight hold of the originals.

Do you have an espace on the ameli website, if so what happens when you try to download your attestation de droits?
Old Dec 24th 2017, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Erroneous/Incorrect Securite Sociale/Social Sec Number - France - Lost Contributi

Hey, thanks for the response!

I actually can't create an account on the Ameli site as my current/first issue SS number isn't recognised, which means I can't really do a lot without calling or going in person to arrange a RDV, my French is OK but I get bogged down with all the small print and black holes in the French admin system, I have all my payslips for the last 4.5 years so all is not lost I hope, I just want my number and carte vitale but it seems like an endless wait!

I'm gonna set up private mutuelle and a private pension in Jan, just to be double sure I'm gonna be OK in the future, but just wondered if this type of mess up was normal, it sucks!

Cheers again : )
Old Dec 24th 2017, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It's not exactly normal but it does happen. Usually it happens because at some point down the line, a document or a piece of information that was needed has not been submitted, or has been lost or has been processed incorrectly. So basically it's a case of following the chain of events back until you can identify went wrong, put it right, and once that's done everything will be fine again.

Looks a bit as if your first employer didn't complete his side of things - but it could be anything.

French systems tend to work like clockwork as long as all the data is fed in at the right time, but if any boxes are left unticked then eentually everything grinds to a halt and you have to backtrack, do whatever is needed to tick the box, and then it works again.

Are you saying that since 2008 you have never had a carte vitale ???
Old Dec 24th 2017, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that sounds about right, I've had headaches with other parts of my admin before and eventually found a way out of the mire of endless paperwork. The reason I never had the carte vitale is that I never had any proof of where I was living, I sub let for years and had no justificatif de domicile, or any real proof that I actually resided in France (my first jobs were very poorly administrated also), so my dossier was incomplete, also I left France a few times to go to other places and was always ready to leave for good until just recently, and now I need everything in place ASAP.

I'll get a RDV and stay at CPAM until they sort it out, might take a day but needs must, and I have around 52 payslips for them from my current job if they need any proof that I've been paying into the system. I have a good job, a nice flat (contract, finally) so it's time to get on their backs a little I think : )