Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Rail Travel around Europe

Rail Travel around Europe

Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:06 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rail Travel around Europe

One of my bucket list things has long been to travel around Europe to see what I haven't up to now. By Europe I mean Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany, Poland and Baltic counties and maybe then into Russia via St Petersburg. Spread over more than a few visits of maybe 2-3 weeks.

Is there a rail ticket that would offer good discount and low fares and do over 65s get any special deals?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:22 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rail Travel around Europe

Have a look here:

InterRail Global Pass - Explore Up to 30 Countries in Europe with 1 Pass | InterRail.eu

We did the 10 days in 22 days one a few years back. Recommend it!

Senior = 60+ for discount
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Try "the man in seat 61" for all sort of info about rail travel in Europe. It may be worthwhile getting a 60+ rail card for france but you still get a discount without it . As he says, you can often get cheaper deals for adults than for 60+

Germany has weird deals for interstate travel of for 3 people together.

There is always the bus . I have booked a ticket from Brive to London for £1 on Megabus and then another £10 to Inverness

The folk in my village had heard rumours of health problems on Eurolines due to the wave of immigrants.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:26 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
Try "the man in seat 61" for all sort of info about rail travel in Europe. It may be worthwhile getting a 60+ rail card for france but you still get a discount without it . As he says, you can often get cheaper deals for adults than for 60+

Germany has weird deals for interstate travel of for 3 people together.

There is always the bus . I have booked a ticket from Brive to London for £1 on Megabus and then another £10 to Inverness

The folk in my village had heard rumours of health problems on Eurolines due to the wave of immigrants.

Typical tight bugger Scot

I hope we won't be needing visas to go to Inverness after tomorrow, though.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I would steer well clear of Eurolines.
A very dear friend of mine - a seriously disabled woman - was left stranded in the middle of the night in Poitiers a couple of years ago when they simply cancelled the bus she had booked as they had insufficient passengers. Despite having confirmed her reservation a mere twenty four hours earlier. I do not normally believe in "naming and shaming" but they are a complete disgrace.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
Typical tight bugger Scot

I hope we won't be needing visas to go to Inverness after tomorrow, though.
Not at all - but you will need to pay to get back out
Old Sep 18th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cyrian
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JWL
One of my bucket list things has long been to travel around Europe to see what I haven't up to now.
Talking of bucket lists, try this:
Forget the bucket list: these are the things you should avoid before you die | Jessica Reed | Comment is free | theguardian.com