Quad bikes

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quad bikes

Does anyone know the French law on use of quad bikes for under 16's. And also access to the forest via an unpaved area which I understood to be for walkers, cycles and horses.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 7:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quad bikes

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
Does anyone know the French law on use of quad bikes for under 16's. And also access to the forest via an unpaved area which I understood to be for walkers, cycles and horses.
Hi, according to
Gendarmerie Nationale - Quelles sont les conditions pour conduire un quad ?

the minimum age for driving a quad is 16 and minors have to have a "brevet de sécurité routière", or a driving licence when they are of age.
If you are also asking about over 16's with the necessary certificates/licences on forest paths, a google search gave another result:
Circulation des quads dans les espaces naturels : comment faire respecter la réglementation ?
which goes back a few years, but must still be in force. I only had time to read it quickly and it seems to indicate that quads aren't allowed on forest paths. (These regulations are often ignored).
Your best bet, if a driver is over 16, is to enquire at your Mairie. No question of an under-16 driving one.
P.S. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Last edited by dmu; Jul 23rd 2014 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 8:03 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

We seem to have quad bikes buttour problem seems to be scrambling bikes near us atm. Also they appear on a Sunday which I presume is frowned upon more so on this day than any other. What's more they seem to use the col behind our Marie's house which is unbelievable! Bloody noisy, smelly polluting things they are too!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

After almost twelve months of noise and stress I finally got a sign at the bottom of the lane leading up to my ACCESS LANE saying no motor vehicles residents only. This has been reasonably successful with the people who have a brain. However the family lower down have five boys and apart from the youngest one (5) they have two moto cross and a quad bike. MY ACCESS LANE leads directly into the forest and at this time of year we get sick to death of them roaring up. I have tried being polite to no avail. They seem to think because they are French and we are English they can do what they like. I have parked my car so they can't get passed, I have called the gendarmes out twice because of verbal abuse from the entire family. I thought I was sure that apart from the sign....no motor vehicles (other than farming) should go beyond my gate because it is unpaved. There are no other houses beyond me hence my emphasis on the word ACCESS !! With summer upon us (in a fashion!) and a long school holiday I am not prepared to suffer another stressful few weeks. Just wanted some feedback before I start another war.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
After almost twelve months of noise and stress I finally got a sign at the bottom of the lane leading up to my ACCESS LANE saying no motor vehicles residents only. This has been reasonably successful with the people who have a brain. However the family lower down have five boys and apart from the youngest one (5) they have two moto cross and a quad bike. MY ACCESS LANE leads directly into the forest and at this time of year we get sick to death of them roaring up. I have tried being polite to no avail. They seem to think because they are French and we are English they can do what they like. I have parked my car so they can't get passed, I have called the gendarmes out twice because of verbal abuse from the entire family. I thought I was sure that apart from the sign....no motor vehicles (other than farming) should go beyond my gate because it is unpaved. There are no other houses beyond me hence my emphasis on the word ACCESS !! With summer upon us (in a fashion!) and a long school holiday I am not prepared to suffer another stressful few weeks. Just wanted some feedback before I start another war.
Sorry to hear this. I thought the info was for yourselves.
Is your access lane your own property or communal? You should check the Cadastre at the Mairie whether it has "servitudes" attached to it. And in fact speak to the Maire about the problem.
I'm surprised the Gendarmes couldn't sort out the problem, but if the children are under-age for driving quads and moto-crosses, you can denounce them for that, and for making a "nuisance sonore". Get a Huissier to come and certify the noise before filing an official complaint at the Gendarmerie. But don't be surprised if they retaliate in some way, they sound like neighbours from Hell.
All very awkward, and I hope you find a solution
Old Jul 24th 2014, 6:54 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry to hear this. I thought the info was for yourselves.
Is your access lane your own property or communal? You should check the Cadastre at the Mairie whether it has "servitudes" attached to it. And in fact speak to the Maire about the problem.
I'm surprised the Gendarmes couldn't sort out the problem, but if the children are under-age for driving quads and moto-crosses, you can denounce them for that, and for making a "nuisance sonore". Get a Huissier to come and certify the noise before filing an official complaint at the Gendarmerie. But don't be surprised if they retaliate in some way, they sound like neighbours from Hell.
All very awkward, and I hope you find a solution
The Gendarmes wouldn't bother as it means going and finding out what the right of access is as it is not in a database they carry, it is regrettably beyond their remit.

I have seen other Mairie's put in obstructions where a continued nuisance is caused. In the south it was weekend/sunday pastime.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

They are of course insured

Anything with an engine and a seat needs to be, it's the law.