Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

The Presidential Election Thread

The Presidential Election Thread

Old May 2nd 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Presidential Election Thread

Originally Posted by dmu
We've reserved our seats, not so much for the politics, more out of curiosity to see whether Mr. H does better than Ségolène as an orator opposite Mr. S!
Btw, the debate is being shown on several channels (TF1, various news channels), not just France2.
Bonne soirée!
Ségolène Royal certainly blew her chances when she lost her calm during the all-important 2007 debate. HERE's a brief recap with English translation for those who didn't see it at the time.

Sarkozy should be the more experienced debater tonight, but his often impulsive manner could get the better of him. Hollande on the other hand, has over the last year picked up many interesting debating tactics - many from F.Mitterand, and is extremely well prepared, and confident.
Seconds out!
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Keep us posted
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

May the best man win.
I don't know who will win, but the two losers were the two journalists who were hopeless, absolutely incapable of refereeing!
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

According to what I've read this morning, all the press called it a draw (excluding, unsurprisingly Le Figaro) whereas a poll of 40,000 viewers had it 55% Hollande, 35% Sarko and only 10% thought it was a draw.

Any comments from those of you who listened to it?
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:53 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
CJM,
If only just a part of you is a pessimist, that's ok. Optimistic pessimism is a great way to live your life, because you can't lose.
I'm always the optimist, - and especially whether either Hollande or Sarkozy win the run-off.

With a glass of good red wine, you would probably say, "My glass is half-empty! I would say, "My glass is half-full".
Santé!
Sorry for the delay Tweedpipe. Being in the UK for the moment is diverting. It was meant as wry quip. And, have you seen the price of wine over here. Gulp!
I've missed any key polices from the M. S and M. H. Not the hyperbole stuff, but the nitty-g stuff. The debate seems to have been pretty heated, even with air-conditioned booths (can you choose a pumped-through fragrance to help keep you calm and on the ball, obviously not).
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Le Monde did quite a good review from what I could understand with my basic French, but the clips I saw were just, "You're a liar", "No, you are a liar", "You are a little liar", "You are a liar". .....I could go on!
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I watched it all and was thoroughly entertained!
This was probably one of the most aggressive presidential candidate tv public debates on record. Hollande was very, very sure of himself. Sarkosy appeared to be in the role of a challenger rather than sitting president, albeit imho very professional in his detailed explainations.
Program surprises?
- Hollande's statement, "Moi Président de la République" (repeated x15).
moi prétentieux?.........
- Sarkozy's reference to Hollande as Pontius Pilate (relating to the Strauss-Kahn affair).

Put it this way, based on our feelings over the last 5 years, what I've followed closely over the last few months, and especially last night's debate, if I was a recruiting manager and had to pick one man for the job for the next 5 years, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind who that would be.
Will the best man really be elected on Sun?

Here's a LINK to the BBC's news summary.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; May 3rd 2012 at 5:32 pm.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:57 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link Tweedpipe. What saddens me, as with all politicians, is the default mode of pandering to fears and trading the lowest common denominators. Structure, substance with any detail is rarely offered. Bit like having to see the books after being elected to decide what policies to put in place, then blaming the outgoing crew for leaving the mess you have to clear up and equally blaming them when you fail or cannot clear it up.
All of this while those who had nothing at the start of the hustings and will most likely have nothing after results are announced can only look on. I once heard a saying that only those who can afford to vote, vote.
Apologies for my cynicism. It's a downpour here, but the flood-water is subsiding. So, I feel a pint of ale will have to replace a glass of CDR.
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
I don't know who will win, but the two losers were the two journalists who were hopeless, absolutely incapable of refereeing!
This link would appear to agree with your comment.

One thing's for sure, they are definately not loosers in terms of annual salary. David Pujadas is just behind Sarkosy at recorded 18k euros/month. Lawrence Ferrari has a recorded monthly salary of 30k euros/month, some 11k euros more than the current president. I fancy her even more now!

As soon as N. Sarkozy was elected President in 2007, I thought he immediately 'blotted his copy-book' when he raised his own salary. However, what we now read and know, puts things into a clearer perspective.

On Les Guignols de L'Info this evening, 'Dominique Strauss Kahn' was asked what he thought of last night's debate. His reply, "The winner was easily Lawrence Ferrari.......

Last edited by Tweedpipe; May 3rd 2012 at 7:41 pm.