Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Posts about SAT NAVS etc moved from other thread.

Posts about SAT NAVS etc moved from other thread.

Old May 26th 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice
Default Posts about SAT NAVS etc moved from other thread.

I would certainly avoid Paris and take the national roads, avoiding toll roads; you can save a fortune at the cost of adding just a few hours to your journey. Set your sat nav to avoid toll roads, but be prepared to hide it from the gendarmes, as they are illegal in france now!

Last edited by Sue; May 27th 2012 at 6:58 pm. Reason: Post copied from "Route through France to Spain" thread and moved into a new thread in order to keep original thread on topic
Old May 26th 2012, 7:16 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Route through France to Spain

Originally Posted by Vanya
I would certainly avoid Paris and take the national roads, avoiding toll roads; you can save a fortune at the cost of adding just a few hours to your journey. Set your sat nav to avoid toll roads, but be prepared to hide it from the gendarmes, as they are illegal in france now!
Sorry you are incorrect, Satellite Navigation devices are not illegal in France.

However if you have any device that forewarns drivers of approaching speed cameras then this device is illegal.
Old May 26th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

What's illegal ? The sat nav or the info about tolls.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
What's illegal ? The sat nav or the info about tolls.
The Sat Nav!!!! At least all those that give information and warning about speed cameras. The Gendarmes would rather have money from speeding fines than bother about safety! The way they hide behind hedges and leap out with speed cameras is alarming.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Sorry you are incorrect, Satellite Navigation devices are not illegal in France.

However if you have any device that forewarns drivers of approaching speed cameras then this device is illegal.
Yes, of course. But what Sat Nav device does not give this information? It's practically the only reason one would need one in France
Old May 27th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course. But what Sat Nav device does not give this information? It's practically the only reason one would need one in France
Do beware if you do have this feature on your sat-nav, even it is a factory fitted one, or a radar detector. Not only can you get a hefty fine (up to 1000euros) the gendarmes can also confiscate your car.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:21 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The way they hide behind hedges and leap out with speed cameras is alarming.
In all the years I've been driving in France, I've never had any Gendarmes leaping out at me from hedges!
But then I tend to keep to the speed limit.... (sanctimonious)
Old May 27th 2012, 7:41 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

They pretty much all have the ability to disable the feature, if your using one to break the law it is obvious when the settings are examined. Most smart phones work as sat navs with the right software. Everyone's route finding ability differs so their use in France is the same as anywhere else.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:01 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a sat nav thingy but I do have some up to date maps printed on to good old paper
bet the gendardmes would find a reason for issueing a fine for using them as well, so i usually have a companion to do that bit, trouble is BH can't read maps very well and couldnt understand why the sun was on the left when it should have been on the right

ho hum
Old May 27th 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
They pretty much all have the ability to disable the feature, if your using one to break the law it is obvious when the settings are examined. Most smart phones work as sat navs with the right software. Everyone's route finding ability differs so their use in France is the same as anywhere else.
Everyone breaks the law in France: it's French tradition. It's only the Brits that believe in keeping to the letter of the law.

The only people the Gendarmes will fine for having a Sat Nav is the British, especially if they don't speak French! Welcome to France!
Old May 27th 2012, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going off-topic here as it doesn't directly address the OP's France/Spain route question. However clarification does appear necessary regarding the use of Sat Nav devices as there is a fair amount of misunderstanding, as highlighted above.
The above comment "What Sat Nav does not give this information" (warnings about speed cameras) would seem to imply that all do. Some original factory-fitted units by manufacturers do, but some do not. My last two new vehicles by a well-known manufacturer do not have radar zones indicated on the fitted Sat-nav system.
As for the comment, "It's practically the only reason one would need one in France" (to forewarn of speed cameras), with due respect - is nonsense! Many, many people purchase a Satnav - either standard equipment with the vehicle or as an add-on - for the pleasure it provides in route plotting, precise location of destination, indications of waypoints such as restaurants, hotels, petrol stations etc.
In addition to this, although not so well-known, one of the most desirable features of a few Satnavs is that they provide a precise real-time indication of road speed. One might think that today's standard electronic speedometers do just that, but in most cases they are an approximation of road speed and almost all on modern cars today 'over-read' ** (approx 5%) to ensure that drivers err on the safe-side of the speed limit, and also to provide the manufacturer with necessary cover in the case of litigation. NOTE:-** beware however if the vehicle does not have original standard equipment i.e. wheel/tyre sizes or pressure that do not conform may result in a speedometer under-reading.
Notwithstanding occasional variables with satellite signals, Satnav is generally reported to be 100% accurate over a straight stretch of road when speed is constant, and as an example, with my own vehicle at a speedometer indication of 130kph, the true real-time reading from the Satnav is 125kph. Personally I find this as one of the most useful features of a Satnav, and in the case of motorway travel therefore set the cruise control at a Satnav indicated 130kph.

And in an earlier question about "Whats illegal?", the above poster Vania goes on to declare, "The Sat Nav!!!! At least all those that give information and warning about speed cameras." It would have been more accurate to have said, ".... all those that give precise location and mention the word 'radar' or speed camera."
The latest Satnav software does in fact give information of where one can expect to encounter speed cameras, but does so in a subtle way:-
Since early Jan. 2012, only those units having no mention of the word 'radar'(printed, vocal or sign), and devoid of precise speed-check locations conform to the new legislation. In fact many units already in-service have updated software available which now refer to "zones de danger", "zones à risque" and "perturbations".
An alert will now generally be indicated by the software 4klm before the 'danger zone' on an autoroute, 2 klm outside built-up areas, and 300m in towns.
Also using the politically correct French terminology, these units are no longer known as 'avertisseur de radars', they are now generally known as 'assistant d'aide à la conduite", a term which is well worth memorizing in case of a stop-check by police, as mentioning this will unlikely result in an in-car check.

For anyone still reading who doesn't have a Satnav, or 'assistant d'aide à la conduite' (driving aid) but has been considering buying one, here are a few important tips:-
- Beware of any Satnav (GPS) marketed with an exotique name or one which is really cheap from an auto-centre or the internet. There are two well known makes at approx 130€ that are recommended. Ensure that the latest software is loaded.
- Beware of very basic, cheap (<45€) 'driving aids'. There are two at approx 60€ which can be recommended. Again ensure that latest software is downloaded. Generally regarded as the best high-end driving aid is one at approx 190€ plus a 12€/month subscription.
- Regarding Smartphone applis., beware of some 'freebees' which still indicate radars at a precise location, and therefore do not conform to current legislation.

Bonne route......
Old May 27th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I'm going off-topic here as it doesn't directly address the OP's France/Spain route question. However clarification does appear necessary regarding the use of Sat Nav devices as there is a fair amount of misunderstanding, as highlighted above.
The above comment "What Sat Nav does not give this information" (warnings about speed cameras) would seem to imply that all do. Some original factory-fitted units by manufacturers do, but some do not. My last two new vehicles by a well-known manufacturer do not have radar zones indicated on the fitted Sat-nav system.
As for the comment, "It's practically the only reason one would need one in France" (to forewarn of speed cameras), with due respect - is nonsense! Many, many people purchase a Satnav - either standard equipment with the vehicle or as an add-on - for the pleasure it provides in route plotting, precise location of destination, indications of waypoints such as restaurants, hotels, petrol stations etc.
In addition to this, although not so well-known, one of the most desirable features of a few Satnavs is that they provide a precise real-time indication of road speed. One might think that today's standard electronic speedometers do just that, but in most cases they are an approximation of road speed and almost all on modern cars today 'over-read' ** (approx 5%) to ensure that drivers err on the safe-side of the speed limit, and also to provide the manufacturer with necessary cover in the case of litigation. NOTE:-** beware however if the vehicle does not have original standard equipment i.e. wheel/tyre sizes or pressure that do not conform may result in a speedometer under-reading.
Notwithstanding occasional variables with satellite signals, Satnav is generally reported to be 100% accurate over a straight stretch of road when speed is constant, and as an example, with my own vehicle at a speedometer indication of 130kph, the true real-time reading from the Satnav is 125kph. Personally I find this as one of the most useful features of a Satnav, and in the case of motorway travel therefore set the cruise control at a Satnav indicated 130kph.

And in an earlier question about "Whats illegal?", the above poster Vania goes on to declare, "The Sat Nav!!!! At least all those that give information and warning about speed cameras." It would have been more accurate to have said, ".... all those that give precise location and mention the word 'radar' or speed camera."
The latest Satnav software does in fact give information of where one can expect to encounter speed cameras, but does so in a subtle way:-
Since early Jan. 2012, only those units having no mention of the word 'radar'(printed, vocal or sign), and devoid of precise speed-check locations conform to the new legislation. In fact many units already in-service have updated software available which now refer to "zones de danger", "zones à risque" and "perturbations".
An alert will now generally be indicated by the software 4klm before the 'danger zone' on an autoroute, 2 klm outside built-up areas, and 300m in towns.
Also using the politically correct French terminology, these units are no longer known as 'avertisseur de radars', they are now generally known as 'assistant d'aide à la conduite", a term which is well worth memorizing in case of a stop-check by police, as mentioning this will unlikely result in an in-car check.

For anyone still reading who doesn't have a Satnav, or 'assistant d'aide à la conduite' (driving aid) but has been considering buying one, here are a few important tips:-
- Beware of any Satnav (GPS) marketed with an exotique name or one which is really cheap from an auto-centre or the internet. There are two well known makes at approx 130€ that are recommended. Ensure that the latest software is loaded.
- Beware of very basic, cheap (<45€) 'driving aids'. There are two at approx 60€ which can be recommended. Again ensure that latest software is downloaded. Generally regarded as the best high-end driving aid is one at approx 190€ plus a 12€/month subscription.
- Regarding Smartphone applis., beware of some 'freebees' which still indicate radars at a precise location, and therefore do not conform to current legislation.

Bonne route......
This sounds like a politically correct advert for the Gendarmes. I still maintain that everyone wants to know where the cameras are, so we buy the Sat-Nav for that purpose. It's saved me hundreds in speeding fines: no question. All the other reasons are secondary. So I want a proper sat nav which warns me against the malicious French Military Police! Am I really talking nonsense, Comrades?
Old May 27th 2012, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

PS We want loud warnings against the Gendarmes, not subtle ones!
Old May 27th 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like a politically correct advert for the Gendarmes. I still maintain that everyone wants to know where the cameras are, so we buy the Sat-Nav for that purpose. It's saved me hundreds in speeding fines: no question. All the other reasons are secondary. So I want a proper sat nav which warns me against the malicious French Military Police! Am I really talking nonsense, Comrades?
Yes
Old May 27th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
Yes
Glad you agree with me! I think the previous poster must be an official of the French Government!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.