Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Possible property purchase and relocation Qus.

Possible property purchase and relocation Qus.

Old May 28th 2017, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough
Default Possible property purchase and relocation Qus.

Hello I'm a British citizen living and working in Italy (for some years)
I am considering moving to to France, Atlantic coast, possibly in or around Bordeaux.
I am single and currently own an apartment in Italy (no mortgage) which I would be looking to sell to fund a new purchase in France.
My questions, which I can research further when I have a general idea, are the following:
Does one have to have residency before a property purchase can be made (or even renting)? Or is residency registration possible, for example, within a certain time?
What are the approx fees on top of a property sale price (notary, govt.taxes etc)? (I seem to remember a site which conveniently breaks down in such a way when one enters a property price)
Are there any advantages for first property purchases? (in Italy, for e.g., the VAT is significantly lower)
Further, I am considering taking out Italian citizenship before Brexit, for various reasons. Would this likely smooth any bureaucracy for a property purchase?

Also, any further pointers and tips (websites addressing my situation, for e.g.) would be most welcome. (I searched and found lots of useful info already)
Thank you in advance for any forthcoming.
Mike
Old May 28th 2017, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible property purchase and relocation Qus.

Calcul de frais d'achat | Notaires de Paris - Ile-de-France is probably the website you're thinking of to calculate fees.

Fiscal residency in France isn't something you apply for, it's something you estabish by meeting the criteria, explained here https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/n...dent-de-france
So it's pretty simple, you either are or are not resident, depending whether you meet the criteria or not. But obviously you don't need to be resident to buy a home here as demonstrated by the many non-resident second home owners.
No special government incentives for first time buyers that I'm aware of, France doesn't particularly encourage home ownership, in fact it tends to favour tenants.
Italian citizenship may come in handy in various ways after Brexit. I don't see how it would affect the property purchase process itself, but it might make it easier to live in it.
Buying a property in France is actually pretty simple and unrestricted, however if you're self employed you would need to register your business to France and that's where complications are more likely to arise.