Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Politics anyone?

Politics anyone?

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 6:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics anyone?

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
However, they can't really shorten it to Penny, can they
I wonder what François calls her in private?
And, off-topic, thank goodness she's not "Penny" married to the US Vice-President!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
When you say "stuck". Is that as in snowdrift?
:
No. it's "stuck" in the sense of looking after my dying father in law. We've been "stucK" here since September last year.

Luckily, there's been no snow at all where we are this winter so far.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. it's "stuck" in the sense of looking after my dying father in law. We've been "stucK" here since September last year.

Luckily, there's been no snow at all where we are this winter so far.
Sorry to hear of your difficulties.
Bon courage!
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
.... BTW I'm stuck in the UK right now, can the French pronounce Penelope correctly? (Or does it rhyme with cantaloupe?)
My first ever girl-friend was a French girl; Penelope Colette ******; her mother (French) always pronounced it the same as "Cantaloupe".
Old Feb 5th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I don't think there's much doubt he's guilty - his wife was quoted in the media as saying that she never worked for her husband, during the very same period he was claiming money to pay her.
But then, it seems to be rife, Farage and Le Pen and everybody who's anybody are all at it, and whilst it's an unethical thing to do, it's also pretty obvious that whoever it was that fed this to the media had known about it for some time but was keeping it back to use as a weapon at the most effective moment. They didn't announce it in the public good, they announced it for devious political reasons of their own. Which is also unethical. So one question is, should the scum who employed that despicable strategy be allowed to get away with it and achieve their objective?
ET, I agree with this. I don't think there's any doubt that the originators of this info had nothing personal against Fillon (or his wife), but this was entirely launched as a political attack to weaken the right-wing, and strengthen the left, although from latest information the advantage seems to be on the side of Macron.
I've just been reading the following article, which looks as if Fillon will be coming with guns blazing in a special tv live broadcast, probably during the coming week.
<https://fr.news.yahoo.com/fran%C3%A7ois-fillon-envisagerait-op%C3%A9ration-derni%C3%A8re-195635167.html>
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point

Reviting stuff! I'd like to follow along, new to French politics so this is quite a learning experience.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhamham
Reviting stuff! I'd like to follow along, new to French politics so this is quite a learning experience.
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck in following French politics - even the French struggle to keep up with the "who did what to whom" and why.

Be careful in Paris.
Americans are a prime target for pick-pockets.
Use your time in Paris to visit the different regions of France.
Enjoy your stay.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think there was much that anybody can teach our transatlantic cousins about politics - anything that can happen, and some things that you wouldn't think possible, seem to be happening in technicolor over there at the moment
Welcome to the forum.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks cyrian & EuroTrash for the welcome. I'm always careful with my pockets as an American, it's a lot of baggage to carry. Amazing times indeed here in the US, reminds me of the 60s and the antiwar demonstrations. The women's march even in Austin, TX where I am was spectacular. Hopefully, some positive changes will come where folks might actually do some 'factual' research before voting. And, the non-voters get involved.

The educational system in the US is horrible and the display of ignorance is shocking. I place a lot of blame on the 'hate' pushers on talk radio. Is talk radio popular in France too?
Old Feb 7th 2017, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Talk radio certainly exists. Not sure it's as popular here as in the anglo saxon world. I only ever listen in when I'm in the car flicking round the stations, but I do get the impression people are politer and tend to make sure they have a logical argument cobbled together and can support it before they open their gobs. I think they have that banged into them at school I have actually listened to some cracking good discussions and learned a lot, but then, if it doesn't sound interesting I flick past it so that's not to say there isn't plenty rubbish as well.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bhamham, welcome!,
There's another fairly regular poster here who did the opposite to yourself, lived here for 10 years or so, then moved to Austin, TX - I believe due to family re-location. I'm sure she may have a few interesting comments on life in US after residing in France.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhamham

The educational system in the US is horrible and the display of ignorance is shocking. I place a lot of blame on the 'hate' pushers on talk radio. Is talk radio popular in France too?
Not the sort that you're referring to. Another welcome from me!
Old Feb 7th 2017, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

I'm really liking this forum! Thanks Novocastrian and Tweedpipe for the welcomes. We were living in the UK - Birmingham - 7 yrs. Then three yrs ago decided to return home to TX, well my home, Mrs is a Brummie although she's lived in Austin since the 80s. Tom Wolfe got it right about not going home. It may be a blue oasis in a sea of red but it's shocking the ignorance that prevails plus they carry guns!

This is the honest truth, a couple of weeks ago we had friends visiting us from Germany. While all us were in the car with me driving I pulled in front of big truck and thought I'd given him plenty of room. Evidently not. He changed lanes and pulled up next to us and threatened me. Told me that he would find my address from my car plates and come shoot me. I'm not joking. It shocked our friends who canceled a road trip to the Gulf coast. Well, I'm still here. Can't wait until April to leave.

Sorry to go on. I saw where Macron was offering American scientists and other professionals sanctuary in France.

Last edited by bhamham; Feb 7th 2017 at 4:52 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

This whole presidential election was beginning to look rather farcical, and I've been half expecting another announcement, that if confirmed later today will turn this whole parade into even more of a magic roundabout.
F. Bayrou (aka Frankie Howard) leader of the MoDem centrist party, is expected to announce that he will run as presidential candidate. (I just looked out of our lounge window, and for a second thought I saw a pink flying elephant).........
If it's confirmed later today, and if he eventually gets 8% of the election votes, I'll eat my beret!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
This whole presidential election was beginning to look rather farcical, and I've been half expecting another announcement, that if confirmed later today will turn this whole parade into even more of a magic roundabout.
F. Bayrou (aka Frankie Howard) leader of the MoDem centrist party, is expected to announce that he will run as presidential candidate. (I just looked out of our lounge window, and for a second thought I saw a pink flying elephant).........
If it's confirmed later today, and if he eventually gets 8% of the election votes, I'll eat my beret!
OH doesn't think Frankie Howard's daft enough to announce his candidature, but he's wondering who he'll announce he'll take sides with. No doubt Macron...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.