Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Non french speaking teen.

Non french speaking teen.

Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Kerrymac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non french speaking teen.

Hi there, I am keen to send my son to a local school when we move to France(not least to avoid the ridiculous fees!) But is it feasible to send a non french speaking 14yr old to a french school? Any and all advice welcome!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non french speaking teen.

Originally Posted by Kerrymac
Hi there, I am keen to send my son to a local school when we move to France(not least to avoid the ridiculous fees!) But is it feasible to send a non french speaking 14yr old to a french school? Any and all advice welcome!
hi, and welcome to the forum!
I don't think I'll be the only one to advise against throwing a non-French- speaking-14-year-old in the deep end in a French Collège. This is the age when they do the Brevet (equivalent of O-levels) which is the key to going up to Lycée, and your son wouldn't be able to do the French or History-Geography-Civil Education exams involved, and even Maths would be problematic as they set out the basic operations differently.
Take a look at the Schooling thread in the above Read-Me Moving to France FAQs.
Apart from schooling, teenagers have their own problems at the best of times and he wouldn't make friends quickly to confide in, if he doesn't speak French....
It would be advisable to pay the fees of an International School, so that he can follow the UK Curriculum and make English-speaking friends. Or, alternately, wait until he's finished his education in the UK before you move.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

+100000 to dmu's post.

I attempted somewhat the opposite: tried to move a French speaking 12 year old, who had always been educated in French, but who had reasonable English language abilities, to the UK & a state school. It was an unmitigated disaster.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!
Regarding your question, the first expression that came to mind was 'Oh dear!' Must he really come with you to France? Is there no close family he could remain with in UK to complete his education there?
I ask this because 14 is a very, VERY difficult age for a non-speaking young-man to be placed into a local French school. Tantamount to being thrown into the deep end of a pool without a life jacket. Even for fluent French students as they later prepare for their BAC. it can be a very stressful, and traumatic time indeed. I have heard of all manner of problems occurring for those who have done what you are suggesting. Trying to look on the positive side though, there is always an exception to every rule, and I guess some may have succeeded, especially if the person was exceedingly talented.
Others more in the know should be able to provide additional advise.
An idea on where you plan on re-locating in France could be useful in order to provide more detailed advice.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the speedy replies. After trawling the internet I had basically come to the same conclusion. I am open to the international schools but have yet to find one for less than £15k per year. I appreciate there will be fees involved now but couldn't stretch to that amount. Many thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the speedy replies. After trawling the internet I had basically come to the same conclusion. I am open to the international schools but have yet to find one for less than £15k per year. I appreciate there will be fees involved now but couldn't stretch to that amount. Many thanks.
Where would you be moving to?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

TP has made a good suggestion - your son could stay with family when you move, and complete his education in the UK.
If you're looking at International Schools on internet, does this mean that you haven't decided where you're moving to?
In which case you may also have questions concerning working/setting up a business, healthcare insurance, renting/buying property, etc.... Take a look in the pertinent threads of the FAQs mentioned above and start New Threads if you need more info/advice!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

My husband works in Norway, 2 weeks on 4 off so work is not an issue. We are really open to anywhere, rural but have been looking at the Pyrenees region.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
TP has made a good suggestion - your son could stay with family when you move, and complete his education in the UK.
If you're looking at International Schools on internet, does this mean that you haven't decided where you're moving to?
In which case you may also have questions concerning working/setting up a business, healthcare insurance, renting/buying property, etc.... Take a look in the pertinent threads of the FAQs mentioned above and start New Threads if you need more info/advice!

Ah, Very good points, in the light of:

My husband works in Norway, 2 weeks on 4 off so work is not an issue. We are really open to anywhere, rural but have been looking at the Pyrenees region.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Rural" isn't compatible with International Schools, unless your son is a boarder. In which case why bother to move him out of the UK?
Work may not be an issue, but your healthcare insurance is, and you'd have to look into your coverage in France.
Also Income Tax.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Might I suggest Norway?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou all for your assistance.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Might I suggest Norway?
I can hear the OP saying, "Noway Novo"
Old Jan 14th 2017, 9:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I can hear the OP saying, "Noway Novo"
In Norway, they speak better English than that.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Paprika is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, the brevet is not mandatory to go to the lycée. You can fail and you'll be admitted to the Lycée.
Secondly, you may look at the alternative schools like Steiner or Montessori. There's a Steiner school from kindergarden to high school near Avignon, and a Montessori one near Annecy I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.