Reload this Page >

Names of expat-friendly car insurance companies

Names of expat-friendly car insurance companies

Old May 7th 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

rickjames8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Names of expat-friendly car insurance companies

Hello all,

I arrived at this forum looking for French car insurance. I found several threads suggesting the best ways to get insurance, but no thread naming good companies to contact.

I am a US citizen living in France for the next 1 year with my French wife. We are able to use her mothers home address and plan to buy a French plated car. I have an international driving permit along with my US license. I have been licensed for 24 years, but have no driving/insurance records from the last 7 years (I was living in Thailand), so I will be considered a young driver. We plan to buy a car suitable for a young driver (4cv fiscal). By the way, my wife is unlicensed and does not drive (she drives a sport bike, but that's on a Thai license, and a totally different story) otherwise this process would be much easier.

Anyway, all of our calls to French agencies have resulted in 'No's. Any suggestions on expat-friendly insurers?

-Rick
travelhead.com
Old May 7th 2012, 8:55 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Names of expat-friendly car insurance companies

Originally Posted by rickjames8
Hello all,

I arrived at this forum looking for French car insurance. I found several threads suggesting the best ways to get insurance, but no thread naming good companies to contact.

I am a US citizen living in France for the next 1 year with my French wife. We are able to use her mothers home address and plan to buy a French plated car. I have an international driving permit along with my US license. I have been licensed for 24 years, but have no driving/insurance records from the last 7 years (I was living in Thailand), so I will be considered a young driver. We plan to buy a car suitable for a young driver (4cv fiscal). By the way, my wife is unlicensed and does not drive (she drives a sport bike, but that's on a Thai license, and a totally different story) otherwise this process would be much easier.

Anyway, all of our calls to French agencies have resulted in 'No's. Any suggestions on expat-friendly insurers?

-Rick
travelhead.com
Welcome to BE I cannot imagine any insurance company being more friendly to a couple with your spotty (how they will see it) history. As with anything else call around and get quotes. Luck.
Old May 7th 2012, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome.

We've been calling around all morning, and the first 4 companies we've called have said they can not insure us because I do not OWN a house here.
Old May 7th 2012, 9:04 am
Just Joined

FYI- the ones we called are: Macif, Maif, Maaf, France Loisirs.
Old May 7th 2012, 9:19 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI- the ones we called are: Macif, Maif, Maaf, France Loisirs.
Personally I use Axa. Welcome to the Forum if you get any issues give me a shout.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip! We just called AXA, and it seems like they'll do it, although we have to go in to the office to inquire. Will let you know how it works out.

If all else fails, we realized we could add our car as a second car to her mothers current policy, and me as a second driver.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try GAN for an on-line quote. I was with them for years in France, and also had auto/house insurance with them some time later in another two European countries - convenient for NCB continuity.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:09 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Personally I use Axa. Welcome to the Forum if you get any issues give me a shout.
AXA works for me via a French insurance agent. Used for house cover in UK and they were brill when we flooded.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:23 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjm
AXA works for me via a French insurance agent. Used for house cover in UK and they were brill when we flooded.
Our chimney fell down in the last storm, We have a 200 euro excess we got the pompiers out to make safe the chimney as it had broken but not fallen down. I then attempted to get quotes to repair the roof. Middle of winter not a chance so I sorted it. Sent all the builders yard bills to our Axa Agent which cal to 185 euros and they sent us a check on the ground the a builder would have ten folded the price
Old May 7th 2012, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

From what we learned today, AXA is handled by local offices. Some offer insurance to expats, some don't. The one by our house is one that does not. Have tried about 8 places now, all of which say they will not insure me. It does not seem like it should be this hard. I even have my wife calling on my behalf, so it's not a language thing.

Will keep trying and post my results. We have a friend who used to be an agent and is going to call some contacts. He thinks a smaller firm will work better.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:10 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

From what we learned today, AXA is handled by local offices. Some offer insurance to expats, some don't. The one by our house is one that does not. Have tried about 8 places now, all of which say they will not insure me. It does not seem like it should be this hard. I even have my wife calling on my behalf, so it's not a language thing.

Will keep trying and post my results. We have a friend who used to be an agent and is going to call some contacts. He thinks a smaller firm will work better.
If you PM me I'll give you a name in Cognac who may do it.