Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

My MOT ran out and I am in France - Please help

My MOT ran out and I am in France - Please help

Old Jun 21st 2017, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My MOT ran out and I am in France - Please help

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As has been discussed several times on several different forums, it is virtually impossible to scrap a "foreign" (unregistered) vehicle in many (all?) countries in the EU.

It is also likely impossible* to sell to anyone in the same country because you have to be the legal owner to register it and you can't register a transfer with the DVLA when you aren't living in the UK. So if you want to sell or scrap a British registered vehicle after you have taken it to a country in the EU, first you have to register it locally.

An exception might be to sell it to someone who repatriates it to the country where it is registered.
But all is possible, would you not agree?
Old Jun 21st 2017, 5:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
But all is possible, would you not agree? ....
If it makes you happy, of course.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

it is virtually impossible to scrap a "foreign" (unregistered) vehicle in many (all?) countries in the EU.

...you can't register a transfer with the DVLA when you aren't living in the UK.
Legally speaking you're probably corect but I think what you're overlooking is, that there are rule-benders in most EU countries. People do all kinds of things that they "can't" do, usually they get away with it but occasionally they don't.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

If it makes you happy, of course.
You’re upset Pulaski. Never mind, you cannot be right every time.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Legally speaking you're probably corect but I think what you're overlooking is, that there are rule-benders in most EU countries. People do all kinds of things that they "can't" do, usually they get away with it but occasionally they don't.
Well to circumvent my first "not possible", you'd need a crooked scrap dealer, which I am happy to believe is possible, but might not be easy to find.

However to circumvent the second one you would need a crooked or incompetent government petty bureaucrat, and for registering a vehicle without proper documentation, I would suggest that the sort of bribe required would far outstrip the value of the transaction.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

However to circumvent the second one you would need a crooked or incompetent government petty bureaucrat, and for registering a vehicle without proper documentation, I would suggest that the sort of bribe required would far outstrip the value of the transaction.
Not really. If you want to register a UK reg vehicle in your name but you don't have a UK address, all you is a friend or relative in the UK who will let you use their address and will post the paperwork on to you when it arrives from DVLA. I don't think you need to provide any documentation apart from the log book to do a change of keeper (not change of ownership) with DVLA, it's very easy.

But you don't even need to do that. If you're the registered keeper, you just write out a sales receipt to the person you want to sell it to, and they can register it as a vehicle they have just bought in the UK. A UK log book in the previous keeper's name, plus a sales receipt in the previous keeper's name, is correct documentation.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 9:23 pm

Not really. If you want to register a UK reg vehicle in your name but you don't have a UK address, all you is a friend or relative in the UK who will let you use their address and will post the paperwork on to you when it arrives from DVLA. I don't think you need to provide any documentation apart from the log book to do a change of keeper (not change of ownership) with DVLA, it's very easy. ....
Agreed. That is exactly the point - you can sell to someone who has access to an address in the UK, but not if they don't, which makes it very difficult to deal with a vehicle that you don't want to register in another country where the vehicle now is, and can't readily return it to the UK either.
..... But you don't even need to do that. If you're the registered keeper, you just write out a sales receipt to the person you want to sell it to, and they can register it as a vehicle they have just bought in the UK. A UK log book in the previous keeper's name, plus a sales receipt in the previous keeper's name, is correct documentation.
Right, but the point is that you can't sell it to someone in France because the DVLA won't allow a vehicle to be registered outside the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right, but the point is that you can't sell it to someone in France because the DVLA won't allow a vehicle to be registered outside the UK.
Well yes and no. You can sell it to a person in France as long as DVLA thinks that person is in the UK. DVLA doesn't ask for any proof of address.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can debate it as much as you want but the OP has left the building.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:07 pm

Well yes and no. You can sell it to a person in France as long as DVLA thinks that person is in the UK. DVLA doesn't ask for any proof of address.
Agreed.

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Vinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
You can debate it as much as you want but the OP has left the building.
Not in his car, I hope.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinosity
Not in his car, I hope.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 7:14 am
Just Joined

loveroy80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian

Dear all,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. No I have not left the building, my body, France or this earth. I am still here, along with my car which gave me many good mileage and now living sleepless nights.

I have booked a MOT in the UK in the next few days. So keeping everything crossed to make a safe journey. Then I will do the Tax immediately on the net.

However I am not sure what to do with the Export issue (please see my original post). DVLA showing the car as Untaxed/UnMOTed. But no information about 'Export'. If I have to do a proper import on the same vehicle that would be very costly. Does DVLA make it easier to change the status if it was originally registered in the UK? Do you think contacting DVLA directly would be advisable and do they really answer?

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Vinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Definitely contact the DVLA directly. They are surprisingly helpful.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by loveroy80

Does DVLA make it easier to change the status if it was originally registered in the UK?
I have no idea what that question means.
If DVLA has the status as untaxed and un-MoT'd, that's not the same as exported. DVLA tends to not process a vehicle as Exported until they get confirmation from the country to which it was Imported, which since you haven't imported it to anywhere, they won't yet have received.
If the status is showing as Untaxed, for one thing it probably means that an automatic fine for using an untaxed vehicle has been sent to the UK address that DVLA have on record. For another thing it means that you may find you pulled over as you go through the port of entry, why on earth didn't you pay the tax online. But it doesn't mean DVLA have cancelled the registration, so why are you worrying about changing the status?
Did you read the previous posts? Importing it into France might cost something, but you can't really decide it's too expensive to comply with the law so you won't bother. Well you CAN decide that but it's not a great idea in the long term, in case of insurance issues, as mentioned above. You didn't clarify what your status is in France and how long you'll be here, which is the crux of the matter.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jun 28th 2017 at 8:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.