Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

My business - can you see any problems?

My business - can you see any problems?

Old Oct 26th 2017, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

CorinnaM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My business - can you see any problems?

Hi all,
my husband (British) and I (European passport) are thinking of moving to France.

I have an internet business here in England (providing counselling/coaching to people around the world via skype) and I am a book author. Earnings around 50.000 to 70.000 a year.

I have very few expenses and obviously would work from home.

I understand I am earning too much to register as a micro-entrepreneur and I am not sure what I would register as instead.

I also understand that I cannot call myself a psychotherapist (even though I have the qualification) because it is regulated in France but I can work as one. Currently I call myself a Buddhist therapist, so that would not be a problem anyway.

Do you see any problems/obstacles? Do you have any idea who I can ask if I can work in this way in France?

thanks for answering
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My business - can you see any problems?

My 2penn'oth:

So you have 2 activities, the online counselling/coaching, and the books.
If income from the books comes in the form of royalties, then that particular activity would need to be registered with Agesssa Accueil | Sécurité sociale des artistes-auteurs and this is probably the page you need to start with Vous avez plusieurs activités professionnelles | Sécurité sociale des artistes-auteurs

For your online business you have a choice of business structures, so you need to work out which will work out best as part of "the bigger picture" - family circumstances, total household income (because tax is paid per household not per individual), business model, future plans etc. As you say your turnover is too high for micro, which is the simplest, so either you would need to limit your turnover or choose a different structure. Really you need to sit down with a business advisor on this one.

Re the psychotherapy, my understanding is the same as yours, you can't call yourself one unless you acquire a recognised French qualification. Can you work as one - well, but be careful how you do your marketing and what services you actually provide, make sure it doesn't in any way give the impression that you're offering medical treatment to cure people. I believe there are quite a few UK qualified psychotherapists working in France but exactly how close to psychotherapy they go and what precautions they take, I don't know. Buddhist therapy shouldn't be a problem as long as that's what you practise. But be aware that the French authorities can, and do, unilaterally "requalify" people's activities if it comes to their attention that a person is not doing what they are registered/authorised to do, and the consequences can be quite heavy.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! Where would I find such a business advisor?
Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

All depends where you live business support provision tends to be local/regional. Some towns / communes have a Centre de Formalités d'Entreprise which is a business advice centre usually run by the communauté des communes; sometimes the mairie has a business advisor available one day a week or something; failing that go to your CCI ie chamber of commerce and industry and ask what advice is available, or you can often access help online via the CCI website or other local business support networks. Some communes have a far better provision of business support than others. Google will be your friend to find out what's available near you.

Failing all else, a paid business advisor or expert comptable, but some are better than others.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks, Euro, that is all really helpful.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CorinnaM
Hi all,
my husband (British) and I (European passport) are thinking of moving to France.

I have an internet business here in England (providing counselling/coaching to people around the world via skype) and I am a book author. Earnings around 50.000 to 70.000 a year.

I have very few expenses and obviously would work from home.

I understand I am earning too much to register as a micro-entrepreneur and I am not sure what I would register as instead.

I also understand that I cannot call myself a psychotherapist (even though I have the qualification) because it is regulated in France but I can work as one. Currently I call myself a Buddhist therapist, so that would not be a problem anyway.

Do you see any problems/obstacles? Do you have any idea who I can ask if I can work in this way in France?

thanks for answering
Hi again, I've just picked up this point. You haven't mentioned where you were intending to buy your holiday home, but, before you decide on the location, check carefully that the internet coverage is sufficient. It's certainly not 100% everywhere in France....
Do a google search for "thérapistes Buddhistes/psychothérapistes en-ligne" - you may find a forum (in French, of course!)
Old Oct 29th 2017, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Lavers69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Corinna
I would echo DMU's point about the Internet. There is a very good french website where you can check the internet speeds by department and commune. The website is called ariase. com

In terms of business set up, the earnings limits on auto-entrepreneurs/micro-enterprises are going to be updated during 2018 to up to €64,000. This was an election promise from President Macron and we have looked into this ourselves because my partner is about to hit her limit this year.

One other option to consider is that you could keep your online therapy/counselling covered by your UK Company. In terms of getting into the French system for health coverage, if you were to buy a French holiday home and run this as a Micro-Enterprise; you could put these earnings through the French system and this would entitle you to the French carte vital.

<snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 29th 2017 at 7:43 pm. Reason: Please red the site rules. Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2017, 5:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Corinna
I would echo DMU's point about the Internet. There is a very good french website where you can check the internet speeds by department and commune. The website is called ariase. com

In terms of business set up, the earnings limits on auto-entrepreneurs/micro-enterprises are going to be updated during 2018 to up to €64,000. This was an election promise from President Macron and we have looked into this ourselves because my partner is about to hit her limit this year.

One other option to consider is that you could keep your online therapy/counselling covered by your UK Company. In terms of getting into the French system for health coverage, if you were to buy a French holiday home and run this as a Micro-Enterprise; you could put these earnings through the French system and this would entitle you to the French carte vital.

<snip>
Welcome to BE. I think we have a valuable new member here.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 29th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Corinna

Yes the increase in ME threshold is potentially interesting. The main trouble is that the TVA threshold is not being raised so if you exceed the current threshold you'll have to register for TVA, which takes away a lot of the simplicity that makes ME so attractive. Plus, I'm a bit sceptical that ME is the way to go for high turnover businesses, since cotisations are a percentage of turnover. I would have thought that most businesses turning over anywhere near 66k (165k for resellers) would be looking to reinvest some of that back into the business to set against income tax liability which you can't do on ME. Cotisations of 25% on 66k would total not far short of 16,000€ a year, ouch, no thanks! and with higher rate income tax on top too because it would give you an RFR of over 42k, no way round that either.

Keeping the therapy under the UK company is OK up to a point but not entirely, because carrying out an unregistered activity in France won't fly. It's not just a case of getting into the healthcare system, it's a case of you can't operate an unregistered business of that type without a siret number. Some people keep a UK reg co and register as a freelancer in France to get the siret number and and pay themselves as a contractor from the UK company, not sure exactly which situations make that beneficial but it certainly makes it more complicated.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 29th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 6:31 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LongLetsFrance
This was an election promise from President Macron and we have looked into this ourselves because my partner is about to hit her limit this year.
An election promise is not fact and until it has been passed it can only be promoted as a slight possibility they currently need all the tax they can get here so there may be some opposition.

I can certainly send you some more information on the best type of properties to buy if you are looking to rent them out during the summer or even over winter.
Would you be offering letting services as well?

Last edited by Chatter Static; Oct 29th 2017 at 6:33 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
An election promise is not fact and until it has been passed it can only be promoted as a slight possibility they currently need all the tax they can get here so there may be some opposition.
True but I can't see that Macron's actually giving anything away here. I can only think he was offering it as a large carrot to encourage more start ups. But for Macron it does seem a remarkably badly thought through idea. If he'd offered a smaller increase and been able to match it with an increase in the TVA threshold, then he would have been giving something away and micro entrepreneurs would have been over the moon. But as I understand it he can't unilaterally change TVA so as it is it seems a bit of a two edged sword and I can't see actually see any great advantage to anyone.

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Would you be offering letting services as well?
I nearly asked that too!
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Corinna
Morning to you.

Could you contact me for a username change please.
Also , have a bit of a read of the site rules.
Thanks.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
Morning to you.
Morning ??? It's mid evening. Exactly how many hours did you put your clocks back BEVS ?

PS did anyone else forget last night, or was it just me...

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 29th 2017 at 8:49 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Originally Posted by BEVS
Morning to you.
Morning ??? It's mid evening. Exactly how many hours did you put your clocks back BEVS? .....
She meant Monday morning.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:22 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Morning ??? It's mid evening. Exactly how many hours did you put your clocks back BEVS ?

PS did anyone else forget last night, or was it just me...
We forgot woke and thought I was up early....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.