Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

multilingual birth/marriage/death certificates

multilingual birth/marriage/death certificates

Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default multilingual birth/marriage/death certificates

I found the following link on the Spain forum (thanks to BIP). Maybe it can become a Sticky here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conven...Status_Records

If you were born, marry or die in France, the parents/couple/children can request multilingual Certificates from the Town Hall of the Communes where these events happened.
They are very useful as they avoid having to pay for Certified Translations of the original Certificates, although AFAIK they aren't valid on their own, they simply accompany the original valid Certificates.
A pity that the UK didn't sign the Convention but, on the other hand, British Expats keep French (and other European) Certified Translators in business!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:04 pm
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: multilingual birth/marriage/death certificates

Originally Posted by dmu
I found the following link on the Spain forum (thanks to BIP). Maybe it can become a Sticky here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conven...Status_Records

If you were born, marry or die in France, the parents/couple/children can request multilingual Certificates from the Town Hall of the Communes where these events happened.
They are very useful as they avoid having to pay for Certified Translations of the original Certificates, although AFAIK they aren't valid on their own, they simply accompany the original valid Certificates.
A pity that the UK didn't sign the Convention but, on the other hand, British Expats keep French (and other European) Certified Translators in business!
Yes oh and I have to pay for 12 at 45 euro each for our application for French citizenship.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1374

"La délivrance est gratuite" (for the countries/languages* listed).

*As previously mentioned, English isn't one of 'em.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 10:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The certificates are free from the mairie. You can often order them online. They don't need to be accompanied by the French language certificate unless the copie intégrale is explicitly requested in which you'll need to provide a translation anyway.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 12:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dmu
Maybe it can become a Sticky here?
I have added it to FAQS
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I have added it to FAQS
Thank you!
And I hope that you and yours are OK after the earthquake
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
They are very useful as they avoid having to pay for Certified Translations of the original Certificates, although AFAIK they aren't valid on their own,
What's the point of having them if you still need a certified translation of the original with all the proper stamps etc?

I can state that just as recently as August this year, HMPO accepted two of these international format certificates from Italy for a passport application. One certificate was my son's Italian birth certificate and the other was his father's.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
What's the point of having them if you still need a certified translation of the original with all the proper stamps etc?

I can state that just as recently as August this year, HMPO accepted two of these international format certificates from Italy for a passport application. One certificate was my son's Italian birth certificate and the other was his father's.

I was thinking more of Marriage Certificates which a poster was asking about in another thread. Not knowing what the future held when I got married here, I requested a multilingual Certificate, but as I haven't left France since, I haven't needed to present it in another country.
The link just happens to include births and deaths, and, not knowing where one's "European" children will end up in the world, IMO the existence of these multilingual certificates might serve them in the future...