Reload this Page >

Moving to Tours

Moving to Tours

Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:41 am
Just Joined

floradeli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Tours

Hello,

We will be moving to Tours in January. I am looking to make friends with some English speaking people. I've been in France since last December and have a French husband and a 6 year old daughter. Also expecting another addition to the family but there is still a long until that happens.

This is my third country since I started my life in Kiev, Ukraine, then my parents moved our family to US where I lived all my life and now we are here in France. As an occupation background, I used to be a Graphic/Web Designer for many years in US and when the economy died switched to teaching English, which is my profession now.

I am very creative in many ways, and really would like to find some friends since most of my friends are back in US and some in UK as well and no one is here.

If you are interested let me know and we can communicate further.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Tours

Originally Posted by floradeli
Hello,

We will be moving to Tours in January. I am looking to make friends with some English speaking people. I've been in France since last December and have a French husband and a 6 year old daughter. Also expecting another addition to the family but there is still a long until that happens.

This is my third country since I started my life in Kiev, Ukraine, then my parents moved our family to US where I lived all my life and now we are here in France. As an occupation background, I used to be a Graphic/Web Designer for many years in US and when the economy died switched to teaching English, which is my profession now.

I am very creative in many ways, and really would like to find some friends since most of my friends are back in US and some in UK as well and no one is here.

If you are interested let me know and we can communicate further.
Hi floradeli,
Welcome to the forum.
We live part-time just outside Tours but afaik there are not any other BE members in the greater Tours area.
There are some a bit further up the Loire and also towards Saumur.
There is a France-UK society and a France-USA society who meet from time-to-time.
There are Anglophone students at the university and I know a few Americans in the area.
There is a small multiscreen cinema just behind the cathedral which shows lots of films in English (V.O.).
In addition, the cinema next to the station has certain performances of USA films in V.O.
I have to say that Tours is a grey drab town in the depths of winter but don't be put off by that.
When the sun returns it turns into a lively tourist and student town where there is always something going on.
There are loads of restaurants and a really nice market.
Transport links are good with the TGV just 55 minutes to Paris and a good bus service and of course the new tramway.
There are also several language schools and recently one of the local maternelles started an English speaking class.
Good luck with your move.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the fast reply. I originally posted here because, I was looking on Google and found someone looking for English speaking people on this Forum, but that thread is closed, so I could not reply.

You gave a lot of information and I will certainly take it in mind. We are still looking for a place to live right and we are not sure if we'll find a place inside Tours or right outside. So far we've looked at over 20 apartments and houses and have not found what we want.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the fast reply. I originally posted here because, I was looking on Google and found someone looking for English speaking people on this Forum, but that thread is closed, so I could not reply.

You gave a lot of information and I will certainly take it in mind. We are still looking for a place to live right and we are not sure if we'll find a place inside Tours or right outside. So far we've looked at over 20 apartments and houses and have not found what we want.
I know some Americans who rent an apartment in the centre of Tours during the summer and return to Florida in the winter.
They find that it can be noisy into the early morning when the bars and clubs are full of students. If the weather is hot then they cannot open their windows for ventilation. Yes, it is handy for everything during the day but not so good at night.
When you send another post you will be allowed access to the Private Messages service (top right) and you can ask me specific questions there if you wish rather than on the open forum.
I will be going to a Thanksgiving dinner this week where I may meet an American lady with a young child who is married to a Frenchman and also an Anglophone French lady also with a young child. If you want then I could ask them if they would be happy to speak with you?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

We are looking for a very big apartment - with 5 rooms - which is not so easy to find, so I am not sure if we'll be in the direct center. So far, we went to Tours for two weekends and after looking at about 20 apartments and houses have not found anything we like. Thank you for the advice.

I will check there and we can also communicate through personal e-mail if you like.

Wow, that's cool. I thought Thanksgiving was a purely American tradition. I have guests coming over on Thursday, so I will be making my own Thanksgiving dinner. I will be happy to meet any English speaking people and if they have children as well, that would be wonderful. Thank you so much for the offer! That's very kind of you!
Old Nov 24th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are looking for a very big apartment - with 5 rooms - which is not so easy to find, so I am not sure if we'll be in the direct center. So far, we went to Tours for two weekends and after looking at about 20 apartments and houses have not found anything we like. Thank you for the advice.

I will check there and we can also communicate through personal e-mail if you like.

Wow, that's cool. I thought Thanksgiving was a purely American tradition. I have guests coming over on Thursday, so I will be making my own Thanksgiving dinner. I will be happy to meet any English speaking people and if they have children as well, that would be wonderful. Thank you so much for the offer! That's very kind of you!
I have sent you a PM
Old Nov 26th 2013, 11:52 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Flora deli, congratulations on moving to Tours, I wish you every happiness.

I left France last year for myriad reasons, however had I lived in Tours, Angers or Nantes I should have definitely stayed put.

I had a number of friends in or around Tours, and it might take you a bit of time to get to know them but they are out there, including lots who are married to French people and have kids. We started a bi-weekly club for bi-lingual families, and met in a variety of homes...a couple of ladies and I stuck notices on the supermarket board...we did it in Le Mans....the kids enjoyed it - but more importantly so did the parents. Use your child/children unmercifully...kids are the best way you have in a new environment of meeting new friends.

Tours is a lovely vibrant city with an arts heavy university, so lots of good theatre and cinemas and bookshops; super too in the summer with lots of students arriving for summer courses.

I wish you every success for you and your growing family
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I will follow your advice about posting notes in the supermarkets. Is there any other way to meet people? Some group or organization perhaps?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi floradeli
I live 40 minutes away from Tours but visit regularly and my daughter is at lycée in Chambray les Tours. It is a nice city with lots going on. My children are now aged 11-17 so where quite young when we arrived almost 10 years ago! We are still coming across expats, it is surprising how many there are, retirees of course but also families with young children. Many are happy to blend in and remain unnoticed! We are quite conspicuous as we are farmers. In our small village of 1000 inhabitants, two other households have arrived recently and at least three other properties are Brit holiday homes. I'm sure you will find others in a similar situation wherever you chose to live, and, as has been said when you have children it is easy to meet people. We only have four children but regularly have 6, 8 or even more here!
Sue
Old Nov 27th 2013, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Hello Sue,

Thank you for contacting me and all the information you provided. Wow, 6 or 8 children? That's a lot. I hope to be able to cope with one more that's coming. ) It's nice to have all this response. I am starting to feel optimistic about making new friends in Tours.

Regards,

Deana
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello Sue,

Thank you for contacting me and all the information you provided. Wow, 6 or 8 children? That's a lot. I hope to be able to cope with one more that's coming. ) It's nice to have all this response. I am starting to feel optimistic about making new friends in Tours.

Regards,

Deana
I have sent you a PM with some contact details
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

oasis1jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Floradeli
My wife and I are English and moved to Loches, about 45 mins south of Tours, two years ago. We joined the local protestant church and immediately found a large group of English speaking friends. Although we are retired, we are taking French lessons and improving our language skills steadily so that we can communicate better with our neighbours and townfolk. We are also making contacts with English speakers in Tours itself through the protestant church network. BTW, we have a Traditional English Christmas Carol Service in Loches on 15 December, 5.30 pm, 51 rue Picois. All welcome; mulled wine and mince pies afterwards. If you could make it, you'd meet other English speakers from this area. Anyway, we hope you enjoy life here as much as we do.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Hello to you both and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I am not religious and neither is my husband. Of course we could join a church anyway, but I believe it would not be right and disrespectful on our part to do such a thing. So, unfortunately this option is closed to us and we'll have to find some other way of meeting friends.

Regarding Christmas, we will be spending it in Normandy with my husbands family, so I wish you the best holiday celebration possible and many good things to come. Thank you for your kind response.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:16 am
Just Joined

ramkeshplt is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy Journey God bless you. take care!!!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:20 am
Just Joined

ramkeshplt is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy Journey God bless you. take care!!!
I wish you every success for you and your growing family..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.