Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to South West France

Moving to South West France

Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to South West France

Fascinating isn't it! It takes all sorts. There must be as many responses as people.
I would certainly agree that you need to speak French and to learn before you get here and I can't plug that view enough. English people who don't learn find themselves at a big disadvantage and can find others, English or French, take advantage. It also helps to remember that everyone gets tarred with the same brush. Perhaps our French friend has had unfortunate experiences. If one English family behaves badly then others can often be likened to them. A French friend doesn't like it that I laugh out loud, which I find quite sad. We can be considered loud in comparison to local people.

I'm just trying to think how many kindnesses have been shown to me in the last week - it certainly hasn't been lacking. Today I was on an outing organised by French people and sat down to lunch with three French, three English and two Dutch people. We all had a really interesting and informative day visiting French and Dutch entrepreneurial success stories.

I was lucky enough to find part-time employment straight away. I have enjoyed it enormously but decided to finish it this week after working six months - various reasons for that, some personal, some professional. It means I'm falling back on my own resources for a while but my own business interests are taking off and I now feel ready to tackle the system and do it all officially. Wish me luck!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

.I was lucky enough to find part-time employment straight away. I have enjoyed it enormously but decided to finish it this week after working six months - various reasons for that, some personal, some professional. It means I'm falling back on my own resources for a while but my own business interests are taking off and I now feel ready to tackle the system and do it all officially. Wish me luck![/QUOTE]

Sounds like really exciting times for you - sure you don't need it - but good luck.
Don't worry about the troll. Sure we've seen the last of him - we just have to learn not to take people like that seriously.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:38 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
Wish me luck!
No problem! Good luck Brenda!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your kindness. Good luck to you all as well or rather bon chance
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:10 am
Just Joined

jackies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are in the process of moving to Lot Et Garonne, just outside the town of Tonniens, we have a 12 year old son, can anyone give us any advise on the schools here, Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackies
Hi we are in the process of moving to Lot Et Garonne, just outside the town of Tonniens, we have a 12 year old son, can anyone give us any advise on the schools here, Thanks
Hi there
not in your area I'm afraid, but our son was 13 when we moved to France, not an easy age where ever you are
Would suggest you look at sous-contrat schools in the area. They are semi-private, but fees are nothing like those you'd pay in UK. We were paying around 670 euros a year. If you do a search on Google you should be able to find contact details. Otherwise contact your local Mairie, they are usually really helpful.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

andrew phillips will become famous soon enoughandrew phillips will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lewc
Hi there - My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to France around this time next year. We have a property in London to sell, which will set us up nicely for buying a property with a small if no mortgage.

We are both currently learning french (as best we can!), so hopefully by the time we come out we will have the basics and can build on it from there.

My boyfriend is a carpenter and I work in interior design and project management of domestic refurbishments. Do you think we would struggle in getting work, or is this something which is in demand? Another option for myself is to run B&B/gites business.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks.
Hi I have been in the Dordogne for Three years .Nice to see another Carpenter moving to Fnance instead of some of the so called registered English builders I have met here .They would not last five minutes on an English building site .Go and sort out your siret course, at various times they have English translation .If you are a good tradesman you will soon find work and quickly build a reputation .I would highly reccommend you go down the legal route as i have noticed a merging resentment for people working on the black ,this is obviously fuelled by the shoddy so called builders and people with nothing better to do .good luck to you both
kind regards andy
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would highly reccommend you go down the legal route as i have noticed a merging resentment for people working on the black ,this is obviously fuelled by the shoddy so called builders and people with nothing better to do .good luck to you both
kind regards andy[/QUOTE]

I don't know about highly recommend - I think it is essential, especially as tradesmen, and the people they do work for, can be prosecuted if it is discovered you are working in the black.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Much though I like to promote the area where I live I would suggest you avoid the Thiviers Bassin in the Périgord Vert as I think you would find it virtually impossible to find work here. The whole area revolves around the chestnut tree forests and the local college has now had to let go any training for apprentices who want to become electricians or plumbers (virtually the only other training that was available.) This leaves menuiserie and ébénistes. As this is already the local occupation the poor lads (and maybe there are some lasses too) are leaving college and finding themselves unemployable. Also generally speaking there are plenty of people who draw on their previous project management skills to offer that and frankly many newcomers want to do their own interior design.
Don't give up, take the leap, just don't jump into this area where there are already employment problems in your areas of work. Yes hard work and professionalism may overcome them but why load the dice against yourselves? I wish you every success.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Périgord Vert is the north part of the Dordogne and part of Aquitaine for those whose French geography is as bad as mine was before I came here. It is cheaper than the south of the Dordogne and green because although we have plenty of sunshine we also have storms which keep everything green.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andrew phillips
Hi I have been in the Dordogne for Three years .Nice to see another Carpenter moving to Fnance instead of some of the so called registered English builders I have met here .They would not last five minutes on an English building site .Go and sort out your siret course, at various times they have English translation .If you are a good tradesman you will soon find work and quickly build a reputation .I would highly reccommend you go down the legal route as i have noticed a merging resentment for people working on the black ,this is obviously fuelled by the shoddy so called builders and people with nothing better to do .good luck to you both
kind regards andy
Hi, we are hoping to move to the Lot-et-Garonne, it is just a matter of when?! Obviously selling properties over here is becoming difficult, especially if you need to achieve a certain price!

Has and how has the current climate effected you? My husband is a carpenter so we really hope that making a living in France is still achievable?!