Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Old Jan 30th 2017, 8:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Originally Posted by Robby49
Hi, just joined group as I saw this and wanted to volunteer a response. Having lived in Vernet les Bains for a few years and then moving to St Cyprien on the coast, I thought I'd share. Firstly, winter in the Pyrenees can be quite brutal, certainly way colder than in UK. Secondly, as we travelled around, we found ourselves very often hopping the border to Spain, generally milder and cheaper for,well, just about everything. The French know it and most border-town residents shop there. Transport, your own, probably a must. Vernet? Too remote. Forget about the history of Brits taking the waters etc. That's been and gone. St Cyprien? Ok if you love the coast but too touristy in warmer months, like a cemetery in cold months and always more expensive - tourist trap. In hind site :- I would buy (or rent) in northern Spain and border hop for visits. Of course there are some lovely places to see but you could save money on day to day expenses living in Spain. Spain:- always milder, always cheaper, easier to communicate too. Good luck.

+1 for border towns..

My slice of heaven would Vielha just on the spanish side of the Pyrenees and right next door to Baqueira-Beret :-)
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

VirMiuTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Originally Posted by Robby49
Hi, just joined group as I saw this and wanted to volunteer a response. Having lived in Vernet les Bains for a few years and then moving to St Cyprien on the coast, I thought I'd share. Firstly, winter in the Pyrenees can be quite brutal, certainly way colder than in UK. Secondly, as we travelled around, we found ourselves very often hopping the border to Spain, generally milder and cheaper for,well, just about everything. The French know it and most border-town residents shop there. Transport, your own, probably a must. Vernet? Too remote. Forget about the history of Brits taking the waters etc. That's been and gone. St Cyprien? Ok if you love the coast but too touristy in warmer months, like a cemetery in cold months and always more expensive - tourist trap. In hind site :- I would buy (or rent) in northern Spain and border hop for visits. Of course there are some lovely places to see but you could save money on day to day expenses living in Spain. Spain:- always milder, always cheaper, easier to communicate too. Good luck.
Hi Rob I so agree with you I lived in Spain for 8 Years and England over 20, am French and been back in France now for 3 years and looking to buy elsewhere (am in Dordogne) and I can't make my mind up, the Atlantic side I love but it is so expensive I feel uneasy after having lived in a detached house to go back to a flat or similar (T3 or T4) am way keener on the Basque side than the Catalan side I lived in both and I will say for anyone looking to live by the border in Spain be aware the Catalan won't (at least 90 % of them won't speak Spanish with you but Catalan which is not at all the same (even though I speak Spanish, Italian and French and can really understand them I can't reply) the Basque yes totally. And it is a very different culture from one side to the other in Spain. Unlike France Basque and Catalan a part from the weather and geographic lay out are not that different in culture (a bit but not as drastic as in Spain). The Landes are cheaper and do offer quite nice locations and cheaper houses but most towns are ..uber quiet...