Reload this Page >

Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

stanleyedwin1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Hello there.
I am looking to move to france to start a whole new life. I have just (hopefully) sold my house in the UK and would like to move to the pyrenees orientates region. I did think Perpignan would be a good place, and recently visited/viewed some houses etc. I think i could do with being somewhere with more of a community feel; A smaller place but still a lively place with everything i'd need near by (but hopefully close to perpignan)
My french isn't great..but i want to learn ! I am really hoping to set up a whole new life. On my own...and i am not in the best of health but i'm hoping getting away could change this. (any advice on the medical side of things would be a great help too...went to see a doctor whilst in france, who was very helpful but i am still confused!)
My budget would be around 150-170000 euro. I'd love a little house with a little outside space.
Although i was planning in a buy to let investment in the UK...although was thinking of doing the same in france (any opinions on this)
Really i'm looking for suggestions on a friendly and lively place to live. Any help would be hugely appreciated! also estate agents? should they be avoided?

Many thanks,
sue
Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to pyrenees orientales/perpignan

Hello Sue
Welcome to the forum.
You should read the "read me - moving to France FAQs at the top of the page.
Why don't you consider renting initially in France?
Many, many people rent in France - it is much more common than in the UK.
This would let you discover your chosen area; improve your french; check out estate agents and perhaps be in a better position to buy if you decide to do so.
Choose somewhere with shops close at hand and public transport to town.
Healthcare is more of a problem for non-retired expats and perhaps you should wait until after the referendum in June before you commit.
If the UK votes for Brexit then your healthcare situation may be uncertain for a couple of years.
Sorry, I have only visited Perpignan and can't offer any local advice.
Good luck
Old Apr 17th 2016, 1:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanleyedwin1960
Hello there.
I am looking to move to france to start a whole new life. I have just (hopefully) sold my house in the UK and would like to move to the pyrenees orientates region. I did think Perpignan would be a good place, and recently visited/viewed some houses etc. I think i could do with being somewhere with more of a community feel; A smaller place but still a lively place with everything i'd need near by (but hopefully close to perpignan)
My french isn't great..but i want to learn ! I am really hoping to set up a whole new life. On my own...and i am not in the best of health but i'm hoping getting away could change this. (any advice on the medical side of things would be a great help too...went to see a doctor whilst in france, who was very helpful but i am still confused!)
My budget would be around 150-170000 euro. I'd love a little house with a little outside space.
Although i was planning in a buy to let investment in the UK...although was thinking of doing the same in france (any opinions on this)
Really i'm looking for suggestions on a friendly and lively place to live. Any help would be hugely appreciated! also estate agents? should they be avoided?

Many thanks,
sue
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I would guess that you aren't in receipt of a UK State Pension, and as you aren't asking about employment possibilities, that you'd be considered an "inactive". It is possible to get into the French S.S. System (see "HealthCare" in the "Moving to France FAQs" as indicated by Cyrian), but not straight away. You'd have to get private healthcare coverage at the beginning, as I don't think the EHIC would work if you're resident.
I, too, have only visited Perpignan, but it's a pleasant town with the best of both worlds, the seaside and mountains, nearby. If you have health issues, it would be better not to be too far from medical services, i.e. not settle in an isolated village..
I would recomment learning French as from now, as you can't count on the locals speaking English, esp. in the various Administrations that you'll encounter.
All the best!
Old Apr 17th 2016, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

If I had problems with health before moving to France I would probably think twice as whilst the health system is good it can be very stressful without the language. The whole set up is very different to the UK on all levels and after years of using the UK system you may find the French system a bit of a shock. We had to deal with a serious health issue the first year of moving to France and was very stressful trying to understand everything. I would imagine it to be more stressful on your own. CPAM aren't the most flexible of organisations when it comes to getting Arret de Travailles in on time. I am not sure how people cope single handidly when they are in hospital and off of work. Also the health system here is not cheap and just visiting your GP here requires payment up front and then reimbursement so a secure financial situation is a must. Top up assurance in order to get most of your health charges back is expensive. France loves their paperwork and have never spent so much unnecessary time filling in forms, posting things off etc. It is way behind the times....why employ one person when you can employ an office load of people to do one job! Good luck whatever you decide but if your health problems may be worse with stress, stay in the UK!

Last edited by bobbi2; Apr 17th 2016 at 2:31 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

And, you can watch live Rugby League! That'll be nice. The Catalan Dragons are based in Perpignon.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 4:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
And, you can watch live Rugby League! That'll be nice. The Catalan Dragons are based in Perpignon.
I didn't know this, had to check on google. Interesting to see that they're in a League with purely British teams. If the OP prefers Rugby Union, there seems to be a "Rugby � XV" club in Perpignan, too... (tongue-in-cheek smiley)
Old Apr 18th 2016, 3:56 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanleyedwin1960
Hello there.
I am looking to move to france to start a whole new life. I have just (hopefully) sold my house in the UK and would like to move to the pyrenees orientates region. I did think Perpignan would be a good place, and recently visited/viewed some houses etc. I think i could do with being somewhere with more of a community feel; A smaller place but still a lively place with everything i'd need near by (but hopefully close to Perpignan.
Hi Sue, have a look at Céret next time you are down that way. One of my all-time favourite French towns and very popular with Brits. The only down side is that it might be a bit too chic to be good value but, with current state of the French the property market, there may be some bargains to be had.

Prades is also nice, and cheaper, with some pretty villages around it, especially Eus. And on a culinary note, be sure to try the "gambas a la plancha"!

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Apr 18th 2016 at 3:58 am.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

As IVV says, Céret and Prades are lovely - the former was a favourite of Picasso and other artists because of the light. Prades has plenty of culture, particularly classical music.
Slightly further north, there's Maury (not many Brits there) and, if not too far away, Axat. Axat has plenty of Brits and a slightly cooler and wetter climate than Perpignan, which can get roastingly hot in summer.
As said earlier, the referendum result could have a massive influence on your decision.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I didn't know this, had to check on google. Interesting to see that they're in a League with purely British teams. If the OP prefers Rugby Union, there seems to be a "Rugby � XV" club in Perpignan, too... (tongue-in-cheek smiley)
Obviously a very civilised part of France! (I watch the RL on one of the American sports channels, here in the Caribbean. Sometimes the NRL from Australia, too.)
Old Apr 18th 2016, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsbach
As IVV says, Céret and Prades are lovely - the former was a favourite of Picasso and other artists because of the light. Prades has plenty of culture, particularly classical music.
Slightly further north, there's Maury (not many Brits there) and, if not too far away, Axat. Axat has plenty of Brits and a slightly cooler and wetter climate than Perpignan, which can get roastingly hot in summer.
As said earlier, the referendum result could have a massive influence on your decision.
I second the recommendation re. Prades. A friend's parents live there. They're in their 80s, don't speak great French and yet seem to manage very well. The mother has had health problems and received excellent treatment from the local hospital.
But definitely rent first.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:36 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Toulouse is better
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Toulouse is better
Maybe, though it's in a lower league than Perpignan. I like to watch the games from a few days ago on ESPN2, a US TV station that relays Sky Sports. I don't care who wins, except that I support the weaker team as a matter of principle. I get some NRL games, too.

It's a great sport, but not many BE members follow it.
Old May 6th 2016, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

becky2701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue!

I have lived in Perpignan since October 2015. I would recommend and can't stress enough to learn the basics of the language atleast before moving here! Luckily my boyfriend is French so i'm lucky enough to have all the help i need! But without him I would be stuck! I am learning French at school now but it can be costly and does take time and perseverance and not to forget commitment. We rent an apartment which seems to be more popular unlike England.

The healthcare is great however you cannot qualify for a carte vitale and be registered in the system until you are either working or be receiving a state pension to which you must get the paperwork from England before you leave.

However, Perpignan is beautiful! You would certainly love it here. The climate, the close proximity to beach or the mountains and not to forget the warmth of the people here.

Goodluck!
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Robby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond reputeRobby49 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just joined group as I saw this and wanted to volunteer a response. Having lived in Vernet les Bains for a few years and then moving to St Cyprien on the coast, I thought I'd share. Firstly, winter in the Pyrenees can be quite brutal, certainly way colder than in UK. Secondly, as we travelled around, we found ourselves very often hopping the border to Spain, generally milder and cheaper for,well, just about everything. The French know it and most border-town residents shop there. Transport, your own, probably a must. Vernet? Too remote. Forget about the history of Brits taking the waters etc. That's been and gone. St Cyprien? Ok if you love the coast but too touristy in warmer months, like a cemetery in cold months and always more expensive - tourist trap. In hind site :- I would buy (or rent) in northern Spain and border hop for visits. Of course there are some lovely places to see but you could save money on day to day expenses living in Spain. Spain:- always milder, always cheaper, easier to communicate too. Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum and thanks for a very informative and realistic first post too. It's nice when new members contribute info as well as coming along to pick other members' brains

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.